Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I know Dendocker wasn't great and was on a big wedge but in hindsight could we have just kept in him the squad until the summer?  Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

I thought the Dendonker loan, when we had so few midfield options, was odd at the time, hindsight hasn’t come into it. Emery insisted that he was happy to loan Donk and put faith in Tim, yet clearly has very little faith in Tim at all as we have a midfield crisis and he is still not playing him. Donk would have been an experienced option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Yeah, definitely something up with him off the pitch that’s impacting him badly. You can be off form but a player of his quality can’t be this bad for so long. 

Hopefully a game on the bench will help him reset and clear his head. 

Yeah he hasn't " looked right " for a while.to me.

Posted (edited)

The recency bias is off the charts here. Dougie is fine. Having a run of bad form is all. He'll be hard on himself, and Unai won't exactly pull punches either. Need to be patient.

Here's the insightful VT "assessment" of Leon Bailey, not too long ago ... 🤣🙄 All I'm saying is look at the bigger picture. He's a huge part of our success this year, and he will be again.

He wouldn’t be the best player on the pitch if he was playing in the back yard with his infant children.

I really don’t see the evidence to suggest [he] is going to be a success here. 

Hopefully I’m wrong. 

I've seen glaciers move quicker.

Let's face it, he was a total panic signing after losing our best player.

Lack of planning from Villa.

Just because he scored in the Bundesliga doesn't mean he'd do well in the PL, Sancho also looks pretty average.

No idea why he's occupying a spot on the field, let alone starts.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

The one where he clearly reached his arm up and handed them a penalty?

They didn't score a pen against us. No idea what you're on about tbh.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The penalty cost us the match. Worst time to do it and totally unnecessary. We had started the half with real fight. Terrible penalty also. No excuses tonight for him. 

I put a lot of blame on Lenglet for the penalty too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

The one where he clearly reached his arm up and handed them a penalty?

We didnt concede a penalty vs Chelsea

He's having a dip in form. Remember he's being asked to play a different role with Kamara out injured he's sitting deeper. I think Emery had struck on Tielemans being the most adept at that role and he was excellent in the games until he went off against Chelsea. 

For me losing Martinez and Pau from our starting 11 resulted in that loss of calm and control. 

• Like 1

Dougie is an excellent player. Is he World Class? No, and he probably won't ever be, but he can produce World Class moments. 

Last night he was really poor. He'd admit that himself. 

But don't lose sight of the good things he has done before. On the whole he has had a very good season, chipped in with important goals and is a big reason we are top 4. 

He needs his Boubs back. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As another poster suggested.

I think we should put Tim in as DM and push Doug back to where he is better.

We may be sacrificing something , but stand to gain much more with him more advanced.

and if Tim was ready, don’t you think Emery would do just that.  We can all see we are missing a DM but Emery isn’t putting in Tim, which says everything about where Tim is at at the moment.  

Dougie is suffering in a dip in form, exhausted from a very long season, missing key players around him from Kamara, Tielemans and JJ.  

He’s one of our best players but a lot of things going against him at the moment and that’s affecting him as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This thread has been bad, getting down on a player who has performed well and showed loyalty to the club as embarrassing and a bottler

Fickle altitude yet some would be mocking Spurs or Newcastle fans for doing the same

Yeah, our reactions are pretty OTT sometimes.

He had a huge off night, though. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s insane to me that we’re having our best season in decades and people are saying we should sell one of our key players because he’s not contributing enough. The season didn’t begin in March; he’s played well over the last twelve months on average.

Not everyone will be on top form at the same time. Normally you’d just bench a player if they were struggling with form, but we’re down to the bare bones and can’t do that.

If he’s crap next season then there’s a reason to worry.

Edited by Panto_Villan

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with that. It wasn’t a corner but he to was trying to be too clever marshalling the ball. He also doesn’t close down quick enough either. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

for the corner in the first place? was thinking about that this morning, was about 5 things he could have done and he did the worst one, didn't see a replay of it though despite him moaning about the corner so im guessing it was the right decision

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure I want success if it means a fan base that turns on players like Dougie.

IT's just a few posters on a message board

We shouldn't be turning on him, he's been brilliant for most of the season, but we can feel really p*ssed off with how he performed last night and in recent weeks.

When we needed him to turn up the most, he not only went missing but contrived to give away a penalty then when he had a chance to make up for him by scoring a pressure penalty he couldn't hold his nerve. 

He wasn't the only player off it last night, but let's not pretend he didn't cost us the game. If he doesn't give away the penalty foolishly and if he sticks away that penalty we at least get a draw from the game.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This thread has been bad, getting down on a player who has performed well and showed loyalty to the club as embarrassing and a bottler

Fickle altitude yet some would be mocking Spurs or Newcastle fans for doing the same

His form has been shakey for a good month plus, last night he had a bit of a mare to say the least.

Or are fans not allowed to say that because previous to his extended off form, he was good ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

His form has been shakey for a good month plus, last night he had a bit of a mare to say the least.

Or are fans not allowed to say that because previous to his extended off form, he was good ?

Can say he played poor or constructively criticise, but people called him a bottler for missing a penalty and others called him embarrassing

Â