Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The choice is very much his. Man City get a pre-agreed fee with Villa, but that doesn't mean that the player has to accept the offer or their personal terms.

Jesus we're a miserable bunch here!! We want our players to do well, but not too well as they may leave. We want credit for how we're doing, but also want to remain a secret in case anyone notices.

God, we've been damaged.

If City trigger the clause he is gone fella.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

If City trigger the clause he is gone fella.

I'd say there's a good chance, but a lot will depend on how this season goes. If we do well, he'll have been an integral part of the team, with a new contract and guaranteed playing time.

Who knows what City have lined up. A place on the bench? A starting role? Pep, no Pep? 

Point is, we have no idea and Dougie is ultimately in charge of where he plays. We just need to ensure we have as good a season as possible. Most players move on a some point - we just seem to shit ourselves any time a player does genuinely well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

The choice is very much his. Man City get a pre-agreed fee with Villa, but that doesn't mean that the player has to accept the offer or their personal terms.

I'm not sure this is correct - if City trigger the clause his registration transfers to them, he can agree terms to play for them or not, but at that point I don't think he can agree terms to play for anyone else.

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Pleased for him starting for Brazil and excelling like we know he can last night.

Im under no illusions that City will trigger the clause in the summer (hopefully they cant before then). They need him by the looks of things, I think he’s better than Rodri. 

We’ll make £20m out the deal, but he arguably was the biggest reason we ended up staying up last season, that cant be downplayed, so in those terms he’s been a big part of earning us another £100m+ and been able to push on like we have. The clause agreed with City was the only way the deal was going to be allowed so there wasnt much we could do about it, we’d have taken that deal every day of the week if we knew it would turn out like this so we cant really complain. Class player and he loves being here.

Well I’m sure his price would of gone up now being a international appearance clause so there’s probably more money they will have to pay, so £20 million plus and as you say he was single handily the reason we stayed up but he was a huge factor and as you said it’s well over £100 million to stay in premier league so you could say he’s made us nearly £150 million if he does go say next summer. Not bad business really is it?

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure this is correct - if City trigger the clause his registration transfers to them, he can agree terms to play for them or not, but at that point I don't think he can agree terms to play for anyone else.

Well Color Me Badd, is that right? If they trigger the clause then he automatically becomes a City player again? 

I am no expert, but can that be right? I always assumed that a buy-back clause simply meant they had the option to buy the player for a set fee, irrespective of the market value. I wasn't aware that it automatically shifted the player back to City without consideration of the other factors of a regular transfer.

That does change things for sure however if City, a club that can effectively afford to buy any player they wish, do trigger the clause then it means that Dougie has had one hell of a season for us. 

I assumed it was a simple release clause in that, if they want to pay it and he wants to go, then he can join them at that agreed fee with personal terms to be agreed. I guess the other option is that Douglas Luiz has a pre agreed contract which automatically starts on City triggering a clause to switch his registration? 

57 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Well Color Me Badd, is that right? If they trigger the clause then he automatically becomes a City player again? 

I am no expert, but can that be right? I always assumed that a buy-back clause simply meant they had the option to buy the player for a set fee, irrespective of the market value. I wasn't aware that it automatically shifted the player back to City without consideration of the other factors of a regular transfer.

That does change things for sure however if City, a club that can effectively afford to buy any player they wish, do trigger the clause then it means that Dougie has had one hell of a season for us. 

I don't know for sure to be honest - you might well be right.

At the moment, I'd say he's good value for £35m - by the end of the season he could be worth twice that if he progresses with Brazil and continues to play well with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that there is a fair chance we'll lose him at some point, I hope Lange has good eye on a similar sort of player, just in case.

I think there's a fair chance we can keep him regardless though. He's part of the furniture around here now.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I seriously doubt that. You can't force employment on people. I know nothing of UK labour laws, so I'm on thin ice, but that sounds nuts. 

Unless you mean a bid activates a non-compete? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

As far as I understand it these buy back clauses are definitive, player wishes contractually don’t enter into it.

The player signs an agreement with the selling club as part of the transfer, so their is a contractual relationship between the player and selling club that becomes valid if triggered by the selling club.

So if City were to trigger it then neither Villa or the player can say no.

In practical terms though it’s debatable if a club would trigger such a clause if the player was really against it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In this current climate 35m would be a total bargain.

Little worrying that Fernandinho will be 36 end of next season so does seem the ideal time for Man. City to being him back for the DM role although they still have Rodri and Gundogan for that. Plus Pep will by end of season have been at Man. City for five seasons so longer than his spells at Barca and Bayern Munich. Interesting what happens if they trail league leaders by a big margin and don't do anything in CL again.

Let's enjoy Doug while we can. He's one of those that could lift us to massively overachieve this season and whatever happens we'd be in a good position to bring in players of his calibre.

Honestly think he'd be a perfect player for Barcelona so we could have half of europe knocking on our door very shortly.

Edited by VillaChris

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He played 90 minutes. Happy for him. Can’t believe we’ve got a full Brazilian International in the team! Maybe the last season though :(

He played for them in a friendly last November (not sure if it was the same game Wesley came on for 5 minutes last season).

So we had two current Brazil players in the team last December and they were both getting slagged off on here and at the ground.:lol:

Luiz had some shockers last season but there was also some good stuff and anyone could see he had a much higher level as a player than Nakamba and so it has proved.

Could this type of agreement just be a mechanism to protect the selling club from loosing out if the player does well. So that in a couple of years time they trigger the clause and the buying club fork out the extra £10 or £15 million. If the player doesn’t do well then the clause lapses. Either way the player doesn’t go anywhere but both clubs protect their position to some extent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

As far as I understand it these buy back clauses are definitive, player wishes contractually don’t enter into it.

The player signs an agreement with the selling club as part of the transfer, so their is a contractual relationship between the player and selling club that becomes valid if triggered by the selling club.

So if City were to trigger it then neither Villa or the player can say no.

I’m not a lawyer but that sounds completely illegal.

I’m just going to enjoy him while he’s here however long that is.

Any player can go in any window, not going to start worrying about something that may or may not happen, particularly not when there’s so much more to be positive about right now.

• Like 4

Â