Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 14/10/2020 at 15:30, Sam-AVFC said:

Another reason I was probably being a bit harsh about his tracking back as with us he's playing in a very disciplined way to protect our defence but was pushing on a lot for Brazil.

He is not an out and out ball winner for me, but relies mainly on winning the ball in transition and starting attacks by playing the likes of Neymar in......as he develops, his reading of the game will improve, thus raising his stock.

I think has a bright future ahead of him.

Very interesting that he played very good games in a box to box role.

I've hinted about it before. DMF might not be his best position. He has such a big pool of skillset and he is very limited to show off his full kit in a defensive midfield position.

That being said i understand we have to play him there due to a lack of options.

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I've hinted about it before. DMF might not be his best position. He has such a big pool of skillset and he is very limited to show off his full kit in a defensive midfield position.

That being said i understand we have to play him there due to a lack of options.

He did OK, but was far from having a "very good game" against Peru. 

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm of the opposite opinion and went on about it at the beginning of last season when he was played as box to box mf. I think he is world class as holding midfielder. Defensively he reads the game, breakes up play and spots danger as good as anyone. In the build up play his ability to receive and distribute is amazing, he is very comfortable using both feet, solves tight situations with his exqusite passing and vision. He simply has it all as a holding midfielder, both defensively and attacking wise, and is a key to the build up play.

I agree with you that he can play the box to box role as well, he is such a complete footballer and has several attributes that makes him good there as well. But I'd say he is really good box to box, but world class as holding midfielder. I actually can't think of anyone I'd rather have as holding midfielder at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm of the opposite opinion and went on about it at the beginning of last season when he was played as box to box mf. I think he is world class as holding midfielder. Defensively he reads the game, breakes up play and spots danger as good as anyone. In the build up play his ability to receive and distribute is amazing, he is very comfortable using both feet, solves tight situations with his exqusite passing and vision. He simply has it all as a holding midfielder, both defensively and attacking wise, and is a key to the build up play.

I agree with you that he can play the box to box role as well, he is such a complete footballer and has several attributes that makes him good there as well. But I'd say he is really good box to box, but world class as holding midfielder. I actually can't think of anyone I'd rather have as holding midfielder at the moment. 

Probably only fabinho or casemiro. Which is why he plays that role for Brazil. He covers lodi when he pushes up which allows Neymar to drift and Luiz becomes a pseudo left back. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I watched a good chunk of the Brazil games and in a more attacking role he was nowhere near the quality he is in DM. Agree he can play further forward - definitely good enough - but I think at his best sitting.

Edited by Adam2003

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I watched a good chunk of the Brazil games and in a more attacking role he was nowhere near the quality he is in DM. Agree he can play further forward - definitely good enough - but I think at his best sitting.

People said the same thing about Kante and he has thrived in the CM role for the past seasons.

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People said the same thing about Kante and he has thrived in the CM role for the past seasons.

Kante was only moved further forwards to accommodate Jorginho, a player with more similarity to Luiz.

From the look of the Liverpool game, Luiz and McGinn could play well behind Barkley with Mcginn playing deeper too. I think you were suggesting this last year.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He is literally no where near as good at cm as he is a DM. He was moved because a team like them needs a DLP and he is still better than any of their other midfielders excluding kovacic. 

18 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He is literally no where near as good at cm as he is a DM. He was moved because a team like them needs a DLP and he is still better than any of their other midfielders excluding kovacic. 

Agree. Kante is literally world 11 quality at DM and the fact that Chelsea don’t play him there hurts my brain. What a waste.

• Like 1

Messi to City looking more and more a certainty, if not in Jan then next summer. Guess Aguero might leave but hopefully it means that City won't have the funds or the foreign squad places to sign Luiz.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Messi to City looking more and more a certainty, if not in Jan then next summer. Guess Aguero might leave but hopefully it means that City won't have the funds or the foreign squad places to sign Luiz.

Think we have more to worry about than just City.

Can see loads of the big clubs being in for him if he keeps on progressing. Can see both Real Madrid and Barca being in for him

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Fernandinho will be 36 end of season and Gundogan might also be moved on. They still have Rodri but he generally hasn't meet expectations since he came in.

Until Man. City sign a under 25 DM who isn't called Douglas Luiz the recall fear will also be there but let's enjoy him while we can.

Yeah I concur, if we are comfortably top ten this year then there is a danger he'll be back with them next season.

However maybe we can convince him to stay, like Grealish....does Luiz have any say in proceedings, surely he must he isn't a slave?

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fernandinho will be 36 end of season and Gundogan might also be moved on. They still have Rodri but he generally hasn't meet expectations since he came in.

Until Man. City sign a under 25 DM who isn't called Douglas Luiz the recall fear will also be there but let's enjoy him while we can.

Yeah I agree, looks very likely we'll be needing replace both him and Barkley in midfield next summer. Just trying to find reasons as to why he might stay :D 

But for City, if he does fit into their structure and get a WP then he makes perfect sense, especially for £35m

Most likely conjecture but suggests a new contract could find a way to remove the buy back?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8845067/Douglas-Luiz-grew-admiring-Ronaldinho-lighting-Aston-Villas-season.html

"A new contract is surely imminent for Luiz, who moved to Villa from Manchester City 14 months ago. City have a buy-back arrangement which is likely to be removed as part of any new deal."

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I agree, looks very likely we'll be needing replace both him and Barkley in midfield next summer. Just trying to find reasons as to why he might stay :D 

But for City, if he does fit into their structure and get a WP then he makes perfect sense, especially for £35m

Don't see why we can't sign Barkley full time. He signed for Chelsea in Jan 2018 so assume hasn't got long left on his deal and we've already paid 10m for him this season so hopefully means the selling fee will be reduced a fair bit.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Don't see why we can't sign Barkley full time. He signed for Chelsea in Jan 2018 so assume hasn't got long left on his deal and we've already paid 10m for him this season so hopefully means the selling fee will be reduced a fair bit.

Sure we can, but it's likely to cost us upwards of £50m if he has a good season as he has a contract to 2023

Â