Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

IF City triggered the buy back, he has to stay with them for a season (on their books anyway) due to limits on how many times a player can move over 12 months IIRC...

So hypothetical talk of buying him back and selling straight to Juve etc can't be done?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yayoboy said:

IF City triggered the buy back, he has to stay with them for a season (on their books anyway) due to limits on how many times a player can move over 12 months IIRC...

So hypothetical talk of buying him back and selling straight to Juve etc can't be done?

Well, that might help us to keep him. When does the buy back clause end, if it does?

We always knew this was basically a loan, so I have always accepted that, and expected that it would be temporary.

That is why we need to stay clear of loans. Luiz and Barclay are unfortunately 2 of our better players, and will need to be bought, if affordable, or replaced.

They also need to want to stay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We always knew this was basically a loan, so I have always accepted that, and expected that it would be temporary.

That is why we need to stay clear of loans. Luiz and Barclay are unfortunately 2 of our better players, and will need to be bought, if affordable, or replaced.

They also need to want to stay.

I understand where you are coming from, but you do have to be agile and crafty as a football club. Even the biggest clubs in the world are loaning players in.  

At lot can happen between now and the end of the 2021 transfer window. Covid could cancel the season, Pep could get the sack, Villa could finish in European places, Douglas-Luiz might actually love it here and want to stay. No point panicking about something that may not even happen. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

It’s in no way a loan. It’s more like a release clause but only for one club. I think it’s probably only temporary as well but if the clause didn’t exist that would still likely be the case - just we might get more money for him when he goes. 

Pleased for him starting for Brazil and excelling like we know he can last night.

Im under no illusions that City will trigger the clause in the summer (hopefully they cant before then). They need him by the looks of things, I think he’s better than Rodri. 

We’ll make £20m out the deal, but he arguably was the biggest reason we ended up staying up last season, that cant be downplayed, so in those terms he’s been a big part of earning us another £100m+ and been able to push on like we have. The clause agreed with City was the only way the deal was going to be allowed so there wasnt much we could do about it, we’d have taken that deal every day of the week if we knew it would turn out like this so we cant really complain. Class player and he loves being here.

• Like 1

It's not like a loan at all. 

We paid £15m for him. 

Citeh pay the clause we get £35m. That's a cool £20m profit.  That is certainly not what happens with loans.  

I would question if we would have got him full stop without the clause anyway. We've reaped enormous benefit from having him here as well. 

£35m gets you a decent replacement as well.  I would trust Lange to spend that well. 

• Like 4

Man City have 2 chances to sign him.

January or June.

For any transfer to happen it will be down to the player. If the player doesn't want to go, there is no transfer as I doubt villa would push him out.

Hes 22 and playing 1st team football which has got him into brazils team.

He will have been in Birmingham for a year to 2 years by Jan/June so will be settled for the first time in a good few years.

If we progress into the top 10 this season, im not sure he would want to go to man City at this stage of his career.

I would think it far more likely he would continue on an improved contract come summer, for 1 or possibly 2 more years before going to one of spains top 2 so long as he keeps his post lock down football the same or improves it further.

He would then only be around 25 years old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yayoboy said:

Loan-to-buy? 

Sadly our super-power strength is our midfield, but come the end of the season, if we want to keep it for next season we are likely have to buy out City’s buy back clause at about £35m, or worse Doug wants the move and leaves; and Barkley will cost about £50m+, and the better he performs, the more integral to our success he is, the more expensive he will be to buy, or worse, he may return to establish himself at Chelsea. We will have to spend our budget on not adding to our squad

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

For what it’s worth the only thing he has ever said is that he’s happy at Villa so I don’t know why we should assume he will bounce at the first opportunity. 

Because the choice is Man City’s, not his.

Â