Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

If we have a good season I think he'd still want to play. Won't want to go to city and be on the bench.

He'd be well worth paying them another £20-30m to stop them buying him back IMO.

The guy's nonchalant ability is silly. You just trust him on the ball. Plays his way out of everything and has figured out how to compete while not being the biggest.

• Like 1

He will only leave on the buy back clause if he wants to move himself. City can't just say, right, we want him back, they have to agree a deal with the player too. 

I get the feeling Luiz will just want to play football every week, especially now he's starting for Brazil, so you'd imagine he will only move if they promise him regular football. 

We could offer him a massive pay rise to convince him to stay also, but I still think they will move for him next summer and offer him enough football to want to move. Hope I'm wrong! 

The buyback clause is a real pain because Doug has become a key player for us and his value is increasing rapidly. I'm pleased that he's now starting games for Brazil, he was overjoyed to get into the squad and it really means a lot to him to pay for his country. 

There was talk that he was going to sign a new contract with us and the buyback clause would be scrapped. I hope that we can get to that stage and also get Barkley signed permanently, then our midfield is sorted for years to come. 

If he goes back to City, as far as I can see, he's competing with Rodri for a place. They spent £60m on Rodri. I would anticipate they will likely pick him over Doug. If he stays here, he can cement that place as his own for the next few years in a team that is on the way up. 

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

There was talk that he was going to sign a new contract with us and the buyback clause would be scrapped. I hope that we can get to that stage and also get Barkley signed permanently, then our midfield is sorted for years to come. 

That wont be effected by any contract he signs with us surely as it was part of the deal we made with City.

Maybe if there is a clause in the deal with City where we can pay a fixed sum to cancel the buy back clause? But it wont get cancelled by giving a new contract with Luiz.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

That wont be effected by any contract he signs with us surely as it was part of the deal we made with City.

Maybe if there is a clause in the deal with City where we can pay a fixed sum to cancel the buy back clause? But it wont get cancelled by giving a new contract with Luiz.

Yes sorry you're right. A new contract wouldn't remove the clause per se, but I think the reason for drawing a new one up was so that the clause could either be negotiated or scrapped. I don't know if anything exists to pay City off and presumably they would have to agree to it too.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We could theoretically offer City money to scrap the buy back deal (I assume). But I wonder if that can be done outside a transfer window. 

Guff.

Edited by Tomaszk

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We could theoretically offer City money to scrap the buy back deal (I assume). But I wonder if that can be done outside a transfer window. 

Shouldn't be a problem, you can buy and sell players whenever you want to. You just can't register them to play outside when the windows are open, but that no issue here.

If City would be willing to agree to such a deal is another matter thou.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2020 at 23:17, CarryOnVilla said:

Can you all do me a favour, shut up about Douglas Luiz. 

we need to make sure the city don’t cotton on to his quality. 

when he has a good game,  a gentlemanly  nod will service

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E 

I think this post deserves a bump given the recent activity in this thread.

• Like 1

Of course we will lose him this summer, its no great shock.  The only reason he will be here if he didnt push on, but he has.

City dont need money, they need a good replacement holding midfielder!

We need to avoid loans like this from now on!

• Confused 2

55 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably not officially, but we could open talks.

If they're going to sell him for £50m to Juve. We can offer them £35m straight up as they've already got £15m off us.

I think he's worth it at his age.

Only problem is if they want him for the team, which he's absolutely good enough for.

I'm no Stephen Hawking or Warren Buffett, but can you explain me your maths here? The £ 15 million was a fee agreed for us to land him under the current terms. Those money will not be a part of any future fee?

If Juve offers £ 50 million, we have to match that £ 50 million, but first City have to enact on the buyback option cause he isn't their player atm. 

Assume the buy back option is £ 35 million. Then City have to buy him off us for £ 35 million, before they can sell him for £ 50 million. So in theory I guess we could just pay another £ 15 million and it's financially the same deal for city? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm no Stephen Hawking or Warren Buffett, but can you explain me your maths here? The £ 15 million was a fee agreed for us to land him under the current terms. Those money will not be a part of any future fee?

If Juve offers £ 50 million, we have to match that £ 50 million, but first City have to enact on the buyback option cause he isn't their player atm. 

Assume the buy back option is £ 35 million. Then City have to buy him off us for £ 35 million, before they can sell him for £ 50 million. So in theory I guess we could just pay another £ 15 million and it's financially the same deal for city? 

Swear to god I had that in my head when I started and tied myself in knots.

Yes, the only issue we have is if City want him for their XI. If it's for anything else, I think we're in a decent place to buy our way out of it.

• Haha 1

Â