Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

If City activate the buy back then we can use that £35 million to purchase Barkley from Chelsea. I have a feeling Lange and Co. have a couple options for replacing Luiz since he is the most likely to depart after this season. 

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If City activate the buy back then we can use that £35 million to purchase Barkley from Chelsea. I have a feeling Lange and Co. have a couple options for replacing Luiz since he is the most likely to depart after this season. 

If Barkley does well (which is looking likely), then Chelsea will want double that!

Plus the £35m will need to go towards buying Luiz's replacement.

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Plus we only get £25m if they activate it this season :(

Buy back clause is 2 years long. 1st year £25 million and 2nd year £35 million. Dougie signed on July 25th 2019 so unless I have a misunderstanding we are definitely in the 2nd year of the clause. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If Barkley does well (which is looking likely), then Chelsea will want double that!

Plus the £35m will need to go towards buying Luiz's replacement.

The goal would be to have Dougie's cheaper replacement already scouted.  If we are spending the entire fee we get for Douglas on his replacement then we are doing it wrong. 

Look at how Leicester got Ndidi. Sold Kante for £33 million and got Ndidi for half that from Genk. 

The idea that we can hold on to every player we want just isn't real for a club of our "level." Some will stay, that's great, but others will leave. Our goal should be to have a plan in place for the ones that do depart.  Get that right and we will continue this upwards trajectory we are all presently enjoying. 

The main thing I love about Luiz is that he's got a nasty streak in him.

He's very clever in the way he will pull a man down on the halfway line when we are a man short at the back, it's helped us numerous times this season already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Buy back clause is 2 years long. 1st year £25 million and 2nd year £35 million. Dougie signed on July 25th 2019 so unless I have a misunderstanding we are definitely in the 2nd year of the clause. 

Where have you seen these numbers?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Where have you seen these numbers?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-douglas-luiz-villa-16649326

This article states that once the summer window closes the buy back will escalate to £30 million. On a episode of The Tifo podcast I heard the two values are £25 and £35 million.  I chose to believe the value that benefits Villa the most.  

As to when "year two" starts the definition will come down to the fine print. My heart says it's a hard and fast deadline based on the transfer date but my head says ManC definitely made sure they get all of summer 2021 to ponder on the clause. Either way the clause isn't getting activated in the next 10 or so days so the buy back is definitely escalating to the higher value. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I wonder if we could buyout his buyout...

we almost certainly could if they were only activating it to sell him on, ie: Team A offers 45m, Man City could activate buyback for 35m to sell on (10m profit), but if we offered 11m that would actually give them more profit than the buy back > sell on for 45m, so perfectly feasible for us to afford to improve the profit on a buy out for Man City.

The only real issue for me would come if they wanted him for City themselves, im not 100% convinced they would spend 35m for him when they probably need it elsewhere in the team???, dunno, suppose we will find out within the next 8/10 months, depends how flush they are over the next couple of windows.

in the last 4 seasons they have spent 141m, 150m, 70m, 285m (646m, but actually 398m net spend), wonder how much they will have in Jan/next summer to spend, and where they will need to spend it?

Edited by MaVilla

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

we almost certainly could if they were only activating it to sell him on, ie: Team A offers 45m, Man City could activate buyback for 35m to sell on (10m profit), but if we offered 11m that would actually give them more profit than the buy back > sell on for 45m, so perfectly feasible for us to afford to improve the profit on a buy out for Man City.

The only real issue for me would come if they wanted him for City themselves, im not 100% convinced they would spend 35m for him when they probably need it elsewhere in the team???, dunno, suppose we will find out within the next 8/10 months, depends how flush they are over the next couple of windows.

in the last 4 seasons they have spent 141m, 150m, 70m, 285m (646m, but actually 398m net spend), wonder how much they will have in Jan/next summer to spend, and where they will need to spend it?

Thats the only thing though city have some top cm players where would Luiz fit in?

Pep rates him though so i think he will sign him. Best thing for us is pep leaves and city forget about him!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the only thing though city have some top cm players where would Luiz fit in?

Pep rates him though so i think he will sign him. Best thing for us is pep leaves and city forget about him!

I think Pep will  Leave end of this season 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

I think it’s worth remembering that Luiz would have to want to go back to Manchester City for the buy-back clause to be worth the paper it is written on. The agreement is between Aston Villa FC and Manchester City FC, it can’t compel the player to return. If Villa can maintain a good start and ride the wave until January, and beyond, then there’s many reasons to remain optimistic that Douglas Luiz would prefer to stay where he is. We’re in pole position with the player, we get to speak with him every single day of the week. He can be informed of what players the club are looking to add to the squad, of pay rises he can expect, the ambition of the owners (he’s seeing that already). He’s getting international recognition whilst playing for Aston Villa, because he’s playing every game. 
Add to that the very real possibility that Pep will be gone within a year, City have integral players that they are struggling to replace and seem to have peaked with their 2018/19 title win. 

• Like 4

On 07/10/2020 at 09:15, OxfordVillan said:

I think it’s worth remembering that Luiz would have to want to go back to Manchester City for the buy-back clause to be worth the paper it is written on. The agreement is between Aston Villa FC and Manchester City FC, it can’t compel the player to return. If Villa can maintain a good start and ride the wave until January, and beyond, then there’s many reasons to remain optimistic that Douglas Luiz would prefer to stay where he is. We’re in pole position with the player, we get to speak with him every single day of the week. He can be informed of what players the club are looking to add to the squad, of pay rises he can expect, the ambition of the owners (he’s seeing that already). He’s getting international recognition whilst playing for Aston Villa, because he’s playing every game. 
Add to that the very real possibility that Pep will be gone within a year, City have integral players that they are struggling to replace and seem to have peaked with their 2018/19 title win. 

Based on Dougie's comments about him coming to Villa to "do a job" so that he can be eligible to play in the Premier League makes me think he does want to go back, or expects to go back at least. But as people keep saying, it is Pep that highly rates him and if he leaves it may leave us an opportunity to keep him.

I think it's probable that we keep him, and unlikely he goes back to City. Worst case scenario Villa and City negotiate an inflated transfer fee to bring him home to Villa, if in the event City activate any buy back clause anyway. He's going to have to continue being a standout performer for us if we want to rise up the table, and that's the only way he's going to command much interest from City from either, whether as a financial asset, or as a player who can compete for a place. The way I look at it, he's going to have to find the form of his career to date, and play his part in bringing some degree of success to Villa, to have any chance of attracting City's radar. Even then, he'll already be settled at a club who have afforded him a place in the team where he can develop and grow as a footballer and where he can express his abilities enough to capture interest on the world stage (I'm thinking Brazil rather than City).

I just can't see him leaving should we continue to show ambition.

Edited by A'Villan

Â