Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

Maybe 4-1-2-1-2 for me el ghazi has to play. Have konsa as the deeeep midfielder so he can add support to either defense or midfield when necessary. I just think against Newcastle you have to have a threat from range and I think el ghazi is our only player who offers that except for hourihane who incidentally I would start over mcginn. For 2 reasons one imagine a fully legged mcginn against tired and shit opposition 2 mcginn has been flat out dreadful and should not play another full 90 minutes for 3 games because he is clearly too tired whether that means he doesn't start in some of them or is subbed earlier doesn't really matter but for me he is our biggest problem in holding on to late leads. Can't close down the opposition which gives them easy opportunities through our midfield has happened constantly and his shit pass cost us on Sunday.

Some may think playing 4-1-2-1-2 is very negative but think of it as 4-4-2 with nakamba and konsa as "full backs" and targett and Taylor as "wingers" . Would give us more solidity in the middle and if wesley drops deeper as well we could have 3 in the centre and 2 out wide still when defending. 

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Maybe 4-1-2-1-2 for me el ghazi has to play. Have konsa as the deeeep midfielder so he can add support to either defense or midfield when necessary. I just think against Newcastle you have to have a threat from range and I think el ghazi is our only player who offers that except for hourihane who incidentally I would start over mcginn. For 2 reasons one imagine a fully legged mcginn against tired and shit opposition 2 mcginn has been flat out dreadful and should not play another full 90 minutes for 3 games because he is clearly too tired whether that means he doesn't start in some of them or is subbed earlier doesn't really matter but for me he is our biggest problem in holding on to late leads. Can't close down the opposition which gives them easy opportunities through our midfield has happened constantly and his shit pass cost us on Sunday.

Some may think playing 4-1-2-1-2 is very negative but think of it as 4-4-2 with nakamba and konsa as "full backs" and targett and Taylor as "wingers" . Would give us more solidity in the middle and if wesley drops deeper as well we could have 3 in the centre and 2 out wide still when defending. 

Lost me at targett and Taylor as "wingers"

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yep, wasn't suggesting Guilbert wouldn't work in that system, but just an observation that Trez has the attributes of a good wingback.

(Edit: And by the way, this is all hypothetical. I agree with Smith's approach of sticking with one system for the time being. With so many new players, many of whom aren't very experienced, it's better to get them all well drilled in one system before varying things. I do think our CBs would look very good in a back 3.)

I think you are correct, no-one really plays 3 at the back in The Prem anymore though, I don’t know why. When it is played, it usually means that ‘someone is being carried.’ In the 90s, 3 at the back was popular

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct, no-one really plays 3 at the back in The Prem anymore though, I don’t know why. When it is played, it usually means that ‘someone is being carried.’ In the 90s, 3 at the back was popular

Back 3 in the 90s was mainly about having a spare defender against the front 2 of a 4-4-2. Very useful against long ball sides, as it gives you a sweeper on the flick on.

If I recall rightly, the two best exponents of it were us and Liverpool, and it was more of a 5-3-2 than a 3-5-2. Both those sides conceded very few goals and were very hard to beat.

I think the move towards lone strikers and away from long ball football killed it off for a while. It made more sense to have the extra man in midfield than in defence.

Today's back 3 systems feel a bit different to those Villa/Liverpool sides, since today it's more about giving freedom to ballplaying centre backs - David Luiz, John Stones, etc. It's a more attacking formation now. But I think the modern style of 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 with lots of movement from the back requires a lot of drilling and tactical awareness to get right. Sheffield Utd play it well because they all know what they're doing in the system. I think Emery's Arsenal have shown how it can go wrong if you try it occasionally.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think you make a point worth considering about McGinn.....He hasn't been closing down sufficiently just lately particularly late in the game....not just him, but we look to him for inspiration.

On 12/11/2019 at 00:50, sir_gary_cahill said:

Think Wolves and Sheff Utd do.....but no, its not that popular.

I think the best formation is the one that suits the squad best, with its strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Think Wolves and Sheff Utd do.....but no, its not that popular.

I think the best formation is the one that suits the squad best, with its strengths and weaknesses.

Because with a three at the back you need fast and strong centre halves but it is very hard to get multiple of them. Look at man City after 2 injuries. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I said he's potentially the best centre half at the club and stand by that, was head and shoulders above Mings today, quality centre half in the making.

Yeah, I suggested him on here few times before he signed for us...  potentially our best centre back the kid is absolutely class I rated him When he was at Charlton.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

Â