Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s more a case of him wanting a move and we didn’t want an unhappy player in the squad. He’s been a liability this season when a first team player, I doubt he would be that great after we block his move.

I get that and agree, but the benefit to us is probably about 5m and then there will be a fair chance it becomes permanent in the summer for 20m/25m

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get that and agree, but the benefit to us is probably about 5m and then there will be a fair chance it becomes permanent in the summer for 20m/25m

No chance.

He will get slaughtered up there and be back here in the summer.

There are two possibilities here. Either Gerrard has told Targett he has no future or Targett has just bottled the challenge of Digne and requested the loan. Either way I think it is the start of the weak mentality cull that is needed in the squad. Like many of our players brought in during the initial build they have all been pretty solid personality wise, but have they been too nice?! Have many of them lacked the nastiness to become serial winners long term?! I think there is a change coming but more a change in the mentality required in the squad. The characters that will survive will need a little more than the nice guy mentality. If you look at it this way then the deal whether it makes complete sense or not is inevitable anyway. It's probably just happening 6 months earlier than scheduled. 

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m genuinely shocked with how passionate people are about loaning out Targett to Newcastle. 

Am I the only one that doesn’t really give a shit?

The thing is mate, targett was our player of the season last year. You dont go that shit in the space of 12 months.

Im sure people would have given their blessing for him to go if it benefited the club. This move has not benefited us whatsoever. 

A totally  strange move by the club. Im sure they are scrambling around going to come up with a excuse at the next press conference 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is mate, targett was our player of the season last year. You dont go that shit in the space of 12 months.

Im sure people would have given their blessing for him to go if it benefited the club. This move has not benefited us whatsoever. 

A totally  strange move by the club. Im sure they are scrambling around going to come up with a excuse at the next press conference 

Time and time again he looked completely out of his depth in front of a crowd and without JG in front of him. People were calling for Young to start up until his injury, who by the way is still here and is back to full fitness. Targett was hardly going to play and I guarantee this deal includes a substantial loan fee. It's not the end of the world. Brighten up man.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He was our player of the season because he improves so much. He did a good job but he is now second choice and it sounded like he wanted the move. I don’t think you should keep unhappy players. It’s bad for team morale. 

Sounds like a compromise has been reached. Let’s move on. 

36 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

He clearly wasn't prepared to fight to get his place back , thats the only reason i see for this

That's not "clear" at all. It might be the only way we meet FFP. He might have had a fall out with Stevie G. He might have been told he's 3rd choice behind Young. Could be any number of reasons. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This becomes irrelevant when we spend nearly 30 million to replace him. 

Crazy that the difference between Newcastle winning the PL in 3 years time is all based on a 4 month loan spell of a mid table Premier League LB. 

Give it some time for the financial numbers to leak but it will be a plus for our club. His wages off the book + a loan fee. Hopefully he performs well and Newcastle or one of the PL new boys snap him up this summer. 

Â