Matt Targett

villan-scott

7 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

7/10 as a defender

2/10 as anything going forward.

With Gerrards style if play with the front 3 being narrow, your fullbacks need to ge attacking. I'd suggest tge first signing in hand will be to replace targett. 

on his day he can get to an 8 or 9 as a defender too

but you hit the nail on the head. he's not a steven gerrard full back and i can see LB being top of the shopping list too

• Like 3

Absolutely awful for their third. It was like watching an 18 year old centre forward playing against an under 12 left back. If he couldn’t win the ball there, he had to bring him down! Failed miserably at both.

We have managed to create a team full of similar level players now. We have some lower third prem players of which Targett is one. We have some middle third players and probably only one upper third player. The next couple of years we need to focus on bringing in some upper third players whilst hopefully developing some of our existing players to also get to that level too. We need to be patient.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Absolutely awful for their third. It was like watching an 18 year old centre forward playing against an under 12 left back. If he couldn’t win the ball there, he had to bring him down! Failed miserably at both.

We have managed to create a team full of similar level players now. We have some lower third prem players of which Targett is one. We have some middle third players and probably only one upper third player. The next couple of years we need to focus on bringing in some upper third players whilst hopefully developing some of our existing players to also get to that level too. We need to be patient.

Or more accurately, one of the best strikers in world football playing against a decent but not great full back. Or a 97.5m striker playing against a 15m full back. 

• Like 2

I have always said Targett is limited. Against pace he struggles, however he can hold his own if he has the strength advantage. If the opposing player has power as well as pace he gets terrorised! Watford and Sarr are the perfect example. I'm surprised teams haven't started targeting him. Then there is the energy and speed to get up and down the pitch.

To be clear though we lost that game because in the second half the link up play gradually deteriorated, the passing in midfield became too negative, and Lukaku scares the life out of our back 4. We should've had a 2 goal lead at half time the chance were there at least 2. Their penalty was a poor defensive choice from Cash. That game was a harsh lesson.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Or more accurately, one of the best strikers in world football playing against a decent but not great full back. Or a 97.5m striker playing against a 15m full back. 

If we have aspirations of being a top team in the future, we can't be relying on these kinds of excuses. We should be expecting our first team left back to be deal with whoever the opponent is regardless of their price tag. 

If he can't, well maybe it's time to upgrade that 15m left back to someone who can.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That is true but I’m not expecting Targett to take him on at skills school. A £1m full back could have successfully fouled Lukaku there. The value of the player does not mean that they are infallible to a good old fashioned team free kick. Targett was just way too passive as he often is. 

16 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

That is true but I’m not expecting Targett to take him on at skills school. A £1m full back could have successfully fouled Lukaku there. The value of the player does not mean that they are infallible to a good old fashioned team free kick. Targett was just way too passive as he often is. 

Decision making and consistency is also factored into the price - he made the wrong choice there and was punished for it. That'll happen at that price point. 

• Like 1

I thought he was good yesterday. Hesitated on their third up on halfway but he knew Lukaku was charging behind him so didn't want to commit to winning the header. Tough one, certainly not an "error" IMO.

Probably should have tried to foul whoever right up the pitch though yes.

41 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Decision making and consistency is also factored into the price - he made the wrong choice there and was punished for it. That'll happen at that price point. 

He didn’t make the wrong decision. He tried to foul him but he just failed to execute. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

7/10 as a defender

2/10 as anything going forward.

With Gerrards style if play with the front 3 being narrow, your fullbacks need to ge attacking. I'd suggest tge first signing in hand will be to replace targett. 

Agreed with this, and I don't think RB will be too far down the list of positions to upgrade on. Cash is better going forward, but not by much. They're decent defensive FBs, but we either need to replace them or change the system, they're probably the two most important positions on the pitch

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Yep. Also just want to add lukaku easily weighs 225 pounds. No one besides, Mings or Konsa, had any hope of bringing him down once he got up to full speed. 

5 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I have always said Targett is limited. Against pace he struggles, however he can hold his own if he has the strength advantage. If the opposing player has power as well as pace he gets terrorised! Watford and Sarr are the perfect example. I'm surprised teams haven't started targeting him. Then there is the energy and speed to get up and down the pitch.

To be clear though we lost that game because in the second half the link up play gradually deteriorated, the passing in midfield became too negative, and Lukaku scares the life out of our back 4. We should've had a 2 goal lead at half time the chance were there at least 2. Their penalty was a poor defensive choice from Cash. That game was a harsh lesson.

With the bit in bold, what's strange is that, as tiny as Ashley Young is, he seems to be able to defend against much stronger players.

This comes with experience and intelligence I guess.

I think we are really clutching at straws to be blaming Targett for the 3rd goal.

We over committed for the throw into the box to grab an equaliser, leaving Targett exposed against Lukaku who is an absolute powerhouse.

It means very little as the game was already lost. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I think we are really clutching at straws to be blaming Targett for the 3rd goal.

We over committed for the throw into the box to grab an equaliser, leaving Targett exposed against Lukaku who is an absolute powerhouse.

It means very little as the game was already lost. 

I think he’s probably the first in line to be improved upon with our first XI but I absolutely agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With the bit in bold, what's strange is that, as tiny as Ashley Young is, he seems to be able to defend against much stronger players.

This comes with experience and intelligence I guess.

Ash is quicker off the mark and has greater agility. He is used to being smaller and weaker so has learnt how to defend against stronger players. 

• Like 1

Cash is poor at passing and rash in decision making, Targett lacks pace and strength. Does the system or their roles really suit either of them? I don't think so currently. I think both miss having natural width in front of them. What I'm seeing is the better teams realising they have to go around us and not through us. I think this is where we're being exposed by teams. Man City, Liverplop and Chelski have all recently turned us over by exposing the FB position and the space vacated. When we stay compact teams struggle to get through or around us unless it's an error. I think the better teams realise to let us have the ball at times and invite us to unravel ourselves. 

Â