Matt Targett

villan-scott

39 minutes ago, brommy said:

Doubt it. Chair hire shops are closed.

He isn't joining small heath

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Apparently Targett has had his medical, according to my mate currently doing the villa park tour.

#shropshireladITK

Stop attention seeking ITK wannabe. Everyone knows that bloke doing the tours doesn’t conduct the medicals. 

😆

• Haha 2

Only Football Manager but...

Targett has been my left back on FM19 since I got Villa promoted, similar fee to what we are going to be paying for him. He's been one of my most consistent performers. I hope he lives up to the this FM save!

Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 13.50.52 copy.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

#shropshireladITK

Stop attention seeking ITK wannabe. Everyone knows that bloke doing the tours doesn’t conduct the medicals. 

😆

urm......that might explain Richards passing his medical.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's brilliant just in time for pre season. We have targett Taylor and Hause who can play lb.  We need cbs  now. If we get Webster and mings in as first choice with Chester as Hause as backup that's promising. 

reading the Southampton forum about Targett is rather interesting.

They dont really rate him, most seem to think hes a top end championship LB, or a low end Prem LB.

Lots of complainits about his poor defending, lack of pace and poor positional awareness, but positives around his attacking skills for a LB.

They also seem to think generally that they have got an amazing deal if its 11/14m rising to 17m.

I can only deduce he is either what they say, and we might be in for a bit of a shock, or they don't see what Deano/others see if he's developed/given a run, and we will have a bargain.

Either way, it doesn't look obvious whether this is a good signing or not, looking at all the comments etc?

I can only place trust in Deano and the recruitment team i suppose??

Edited by MaVilla

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Everyone complaining about the fee, consider this:

Leicester have just signed Luton fullback James Justin (who we tried to get in January, but were put off by the price quoted) for 8 Million.  Justin hasn't played above League 1 level and yet some are complaining about paying 11 Million for a 23 year old former England U21 international with 53 Premier League games, 2 Europa League appearances, and a Championship Playoff Promotion medal under his belt???

Southampton fans don't rate him because:

• Everything he does gets compared to a fan favorite & current Engerland International, Ryan Bertrand
    • Not as quick as Bertrand
    • Is more attacking minded than Bertrand and takes more risks
    • Because he takes more risks going forward, he gets caught out more than Bertrand (This can 100% be coached)
    • Southampton fans pride themselves on their defense lately as an excuse for the horrible attacking football they've played over the past couple of seasons
  • He looks and sounds like Gomer Pyle in Interviews

In reality, stats wise- he's very similar to Bertrand defensively and beats him in just about every category offensively.  Fulham fans loved him and think he's class (they describe him like we describe Mings) and statistically, he's been extremely solid in the past two years.  This looks like a fantastic signing to me and a bit of a coup with today's prices.  If he can play well enough for us to break into the England squad, he'll be worth the extra 6 million in add ons, especially when the best Championship players are getting quoted for 20+ million right now.

I wonder why Fulham didn’t sign him when they get promoted.Or was he not for sale?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder why Fulham didn’t sign him when they get promoted.Or was he not for sale?

They wanted him but Southampton said he was in long term plans. New manager came in half way through and prefers younger player as back up and not standing in Targett's way to move on now apparently

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

reading the Southampton forum about Targett is rather interesting.

They dont really rate him, most seem to think hes a top end championship LB, or a low end Prem LB.

Lots of complainits about his poor defending, lack of pace and poor positional awareness, but positives around his attacking skills for a LB.

T

This from the team that finished 17th and 16th in the last 2 seasons 😂

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I stopped taking notice of what fans of the selling club say when we are buying a player. I mean I’ve seen Newcastle fans saying we got done on Milner, fans saying Benteke wasn’t good enough, people say Mings wasn’t up to it any more, that Hause was rubbish.... the list goes on and on.

I’ve no interest at all what Southampton fans think of Targett.

I’d rather back Smith’s judgement given his record in the market for us so far and then judge him in our colours. What went before positive or negative is absolutely irrelevant.

I agree with this, especially once they’ve got rid. But the Targett thread over there covers the whole of his career with them, it really makes for an interesting read, like a timeline of his career. Most of them had given up on him before his loan spell at Fulham - not because he wasn’t up for it, but because they no longer blooded their academy youths. He took them by surprise while on loan at Fulham and the fans did a predictable 180, only to decide he wasn’t the second-coming of Ryan Bertrand (man, they love that guy) and turning on him again. I would say their grievances focus almost solely on his pace. Fulham fans didn’t have that concern. It will be interesting to see how he fits in.

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I stopped taking notice of what fans of the selling club say when we are buying a player. I mean I’ve seen Newcastle fans saying we got done on Milner, fans saying Benteke wasn’t good enough, people say Mings wasn’t up to it any more, that Hause was rubbish.... the list goes on and on.

I’ve no interest at all what Southampton fans think of Targett.

I’d rather back Smith’s judgement given his record in the market for us so far and then judge him in our colours. What went before positive or negative is absolutely irrelevant.

Surely you should just not take notice of only negative things that fans of a selling club say? There were definitely Genk and Bournemouth fans that talked about Beneteke and Mings positively.

I can't remember that far back for Milner, but I'm sure there would have been Newcastle fans that hoped to hang onto him.

I like to read fan comments, because with a pinch of salt, you probably get a vague idea of what you're likely to see, depending on how good or bad a game the new player has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Surely you should just not take notice of only negative things that fans of a selling club say? There were definitely Genk and Bournemouth fans that talked about Beneteke and Mings positively.

I can't remember that far back for Milner, but I'm sure there would have been Newcastle fans that hoped to hang onto him.

I like to read fan comments, because with a pinch of salt, you probably get a vague idea of what you're likely to see, depending on how good or bad a game the new player has.

Excellent point. 

• Thanks 1

There were probably two LB's being considered, Targett and Justin. My choice was Targett due to his outstanding form on loan to Fulham. Justin is one for the future and favours his right foot, Targett is genuinely left footed and is ready now.

Playing alongside Mings and Webster (hopefully) will give him far more confidence and support than playing with Southampton's CB's.

I think he will be a solid addition to a balanced back four.

21 hours ago, villan-scott said:

#shropshireladITK

😆

I bloody knew it!!

Does anyone have Nicky Keye's number?

#MeToo

Â