Matt Targett

villan-scott

I see this as a good signing for the style we want to play and I see him having no trouble fitting in to our side straight away. For the money paid I think it’s a solid signing. 

Also noticed Southampton have used the money already to sign Adams for £15 mill. Can’t help feeling the scum have had there pants pulled down a bit there. £15 mill for one of the top championship strikers and he is only 22.

7 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I see this as a good signing for the style we want to play and I see him having no trouble fitting in to our side straight away. For the money paid I think it’s a solid signing. 

Also noticed Southampton have used the money already to sign Adams for £15 mill. Can’t help feeling the scum have had there pants pulled down a bit there. £15 mill for one of the top championship strikers and he is only 22.

Off topic, but the scum are financially in ruins which I imagine influences the fee. It’s £15m or nothing, so they’ve got to take it.

9 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

And 20% of that fee goes to sheffield united. A poor deal for them. They should have cashed in January and they probably could have got close to 20m

Young but not inexperienced and has room to develop under Smith and co.

Since we havent had a decent left back in about a decade he wont be under too much high expectations

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No contract length given again.

Don't recollect seeing him play, but people have said he can pass well and has a good cross. Got to be better than taylor so happy with the appointment 

Strange that the contract length hasn't been announced, don't recall they ever confirmed for Hause either. 

33 minutes ago, sne said:

With his signing we (briefly) jump into the top 10 list of highest spenders in this transfer window among European clubs.

Will be passed by a fair few clubs pretty soon no doubt.

Still some way to catch Real Madrid thou...

To be fair most other teams actually already have a defence of some kind.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Anything less than 4 years and I'd be surprised and disappointed.

He’s 23 so I’d imagine it’ll be 4 years or something. For that fee you’d expect that long or more. 

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

He’s 23 so I’d imagine it’ll be 4 years or something. For that fee you’d expect that long or more. 

I think the fee is a big one yep. We wouldn't entertain paying possibly £17m and losing them for nothing after three seasons. Must be 4 years, maybe more.

• Like 1

An attacking LB (not amazing defensively) who has a wand of a left foot. Lacks a little pace but can pick a pass. We really needed a player like this. 

Neil was solid defensively but lacked any quality going forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I think the fee is a big one yep. We wouldn't entertain paying possibly £17m and losing them for nothing after three seasons. Must be 4 years, maybe more.

Most of the sources I’ve seen say around £11m rising up to £17m with performances... I’d imagine we’d only be paying the full £17m if we stay up next year, or possibly even have two years in the top flight, in which case it’s money well spent. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

An attacking LB (not amazing defensively) who has a wand of a left foot. Lacks a little pace but can pick a pass. We really needed a player like this. 

Neil was solid defensively but lacked any quality going forward. 

Can we force them to mate and then mature their offspring in a test tube, and create ourselves an unholy, bastardised but balanced LB? I know that’s probably playing god, but I doubt he would mind, he was a centre back after all.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Welcome Mr Targett.

I believe you are one of 5 players currently at the club that will be in the starting 11 for the Spurs game.

I would guess 6?

Targett, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Mcginn, Grealish, Wesley?

The maybe might be steer and jota, but I think those 6 are more likely.

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Can we force them to mate and then mature their offspring in a test tube, and create ourselves an unholy, bastardised but balanced LB? I know that’s probably playing god, but I doubt he would mind, he was a centre back after all.

I'll go get the test tubes, I'll get you a pair of marrigolds for the pulling off 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

At a quick glance, Saints fans don't seem fussed about losing him but also no bad blood at all and all "wish him the best" sort of stuff.  Consensus seems to be that Bertrand is a far better player.

Positives on Targett focus a lot on his attacking abilities - certainly a lot of talk about him having a great left foot and being a great crosser.
Negatives seem to be his lack of pace and, at times, poor positioning.

He's got a good amount of experience as a 23 year old and will be wanting to prove himself long-term.  We're giving him that chance.

Saw an interesting stat on Twitter (villa report), won't try to link as on my phone.

But basically said in the prem of all left backs who played more than 10 games, only digne, trippier and Alexander Arnold created more chances per 90 minutes than targett.

Edited by MaVilla

Â