Matt Targett

villan-scott

Only seeing Smith start to really make his own imprint on the squad now. He likes players who are not afraid of the ball and comfortable on it. Targett fits this criteria. Jota the same, remains to be seen if he can step up but again, not afraid of the ball, good ability on it. Players been signed now to suit a style of play instead of the shotgun approach of years gone by.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

Who do you trust the most - some saints forum posters or Smith and his team?

Obviously Smith and his team.  It’s just good to sign players that clubs and fans don’t want to lose especially when the team is a direct rival for staying up.

However that’s not always possible. 

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Only seeing Smith start to really make his own imprint on the squad now. He likes players who are not afraid of the ball and comfortable on it. Targett fits this criteria. Jota the same, remains to be seen if he can step up but again, not afraid of the ball, good ability on it. Players been signed now to suit a style of play instead of the shotgun approach of years gone by.

Is he comfortable on the ball? Genuine question as can’t remembe how he plays.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Obviously Smith and his team.  It’s just good to sign players that clubs and fans don’t want to lose especially when the team is a direct rival for staying up.

However that’s not always possible. 

Remember that many fans accept their losses by playing them down.

• Like 2

£11m is a very good price for a young, English, attacking left back who was involved with the international youth set up to under 21s, and is only 23. 

Sun is shining and we’re making a good signing! 

• Like 3

Also, I wouldn’t worry that rival fans don’t rate him, I can’t think of one player that VT all agree on. If Burnley fans had read some of the rubbish about Westwood they’d have been worried but I bet they’re not now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Also, I wouldn’t worry that rival fans don’t rate him, I can’t think of one player that VT all agree on. If Burnley fans had read some of the rubbish about Westwood they’d have been worried but I bet they’re not now.

Bertrand is very good. England international. Hard to dislodge. Two senior left backs vying for one spot. It's a good deal. Works out for both clubs.

• Like 1

For people complaining about the price, they seem to forget just how expensive buying an English player can be these days not to mention the fact that 11 million (plus bonuses) isn't all that much nowadays.

That all said, a lot of mixed opinions of him. Some not particularly rating him. I trust Dean however. 

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Bertrand is very good. England international. Hard to dislodge. Two senior left backs vying for one spot. It's a good deal. Works out for both clubs.

Would love Bertrand back at Villa

Another thing to remember is that Southhampton play with wing-backs, so he'll be playing in a slightly different position for us than he does with them. He looked much better in a flat back four with Fulham.

• Like 1

I mean we only need to look at Gary Cahill and a million others to see that buying someone who “can’t get into the team” doesn’t mean you’re not buying a very good player. I haven’t seen much of this lad but will give him a shot!

Also strikes me that a few of the players we are signing/linked to (Jota, Targett, some of the Championship lads) are players who might reasonably be expected to stay with us if all goes wrong and we do go down this year. I am sure that is partly in their thinking with SOME of the signings, knowing we will certainly lose half the team if we do go down and be back to square one. That’s not to sound defeatist - I think there is lots of ambition in all these signings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Southampton have brought through a hell of a lot of youth players, they're one of the best in the country in terms of their academy and bringing through youth. This guy's 23 and hasn't managed to make much of an impression in 5 years.

This seems like a lot of money for a PL fringe player. When the other teams fans are rubbing their hands together, delighted with the money they've got for one of their players, it's a worrying sign. To be fair to him, he was good at Fulham, so hopefully he can make the step up as a regular starter.

Using the reaction of a selected number of posters taken from an opposing club’s forum is hardly the best method of judging a player. Jilted lover slams ex shock! 

22 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

From the playoff team I can think of about five!

41 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm really pissed off about this signing. We need more PL experience in our back line and I think we could easily get Ashley Cole on a  3 or 4-year deal, probably £100k / week but totally worth it.

I think Nigel Winterburn is still available, his move to Forest broke down 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think we all agree Gary Gardner is useless and Bolasie is a wasteman 😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â