Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hope so. Most overrated player we’ve had for a while in my opinion. The guy couldn’t defend. 

I don't think defending is targetts strong point :)

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Surely you should just not take notice of only negative things that fans of a selling club say? There were definitely Genk and Bournemouth fans that talked about Beneteke and Mings positively.

I can't remember that far back for Milner, but I'm sure there would have been Newcastle fans that hoped to hang onto him.

I like to read fan comments, because with a pinch of salt, you probably get a vague idea of what you're likely to see, depending on how good or bad a game the new player has.

In my experience you rarely see positive ones which is kind of the point.

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would guess 6?

Targett, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Mcginn, Grealish, Wesley?

The maybe might be steer and jota, but I think those 6 are more likely.

Same, I just hadn't counted Wesley yet. Not until he's ITSOTP.

He's good going forward and that's what I'm most pleased about. Fed of seeing Taylor ruin every overlap on the left because of his complete inability to cross, El Ghazi and Targett should link up really nicely. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He's good going forward and that's what I'm most pleased about. Fed of seeing Taylor ruin every overlap on the left because of his complete inability to cross, El Ghazi and Targett should link up really nicely. 

Yeah just need the right side sorting now.

Guilbert with who ahead of him?, jota or are we gonna buy a new RW also?

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

That's the exact same point that I made when I saw the Targett rumours.

As good as Taylor was for us in the 2nd half of the season, the amount of times that our attacks broke down because they fell to him on the left was ridiculous. Having someone there with a wand of a left foot, or just the ability and vision to pick a pass to someone else, will be great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

That's the exact same point that I made when I saw the Targett rumours.

As good as Taylor was for us in the 2nd half of the season, the amount of times that our attacks broke down because they fell to him on the left was ridiculous. Having someone there with a wand of a left foot, or just the ability and vision to pick a pass to someone else, will be great.

I've said this so often. I'm sure other sides never bothered marking him, and doubled up on Jack - if it eventually goes to Taylor, they effectively regain possession.

But for any non-Villans reading this - Taylor is **** brilliant. Should be first choice; this guys back-up at best. Do not sell for less than £10m.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Young but not inexperienced and has room to develop under Smith and co.

Since we havent had a decent left back in about a decade he wont be under too much high expectations

Last decent left back we had was Bouma but was always injured. Signed by DOL as well.

Targett wouldn't have been my preferred choice, but hopefully Dean turns his career around and perhaps turns him into an England regular. Seems slow and not great defensively which doesn't bode well, but he can cross and is good technically. Southampton fans don't seem that disappointed to see him go, so I'm slightly concerned - let's see how this one pans out.

I'm hoping the next few signings we make are statement signings but that doesn't look like happening given who we are being linked with.

6 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I've said this so often. I'm sure other sides never bothered marking him, and doubled up on Jack - if it eventually goes to Taylor, they effectively regain possession.

But for any non-Villans reading this - Taylor is **** brilliant. Should be first choice; this guys back-up at best. Do not sell for less than £10m.

Let's be serious here. He's a Welsh international, gets the all-important 'British Premium', has Premier League experience and has played against both Bristol City AND Brentford..... That's £20m easily!

• Haha 2

Just now, Rob182 said:

Let's be serious here. He's a Welsh international, gets the all-important 'British Premium', has Premier League experience and has played against both Bristol City AND Brentford..... That's £20m easily!

Shit. Forgot all that. Played at Wembley; played Leeds. The Welsh Roberto Carlos?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Last decent left back we had was Bouma but was always injured. Signed by DOL as well.

Targett wouldn't have been my preferred choice, but hopefully Dean turns his career around and perhaps turns him into an England regular. Seems slow and not great defensively which doesn't bode well, but he can cross and is good technically. Southampton fans don't seem that disappointed to see him go, so I'm slightly concerned - let's see how this one pans out.

I'm hoping the next few signings we make are statement signings but that doesn't look like happening given who we are being linked with.

Out of interest, who would have been your preferred choice and who else would be on your list before Targett?

Pace thing doesn't worry me, some shit defenders use pace to get out of trouble but pace will go eventually. If he has a good football brain to cover the pace he be fine 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Out of interest, who would have been your preferred choice and who else would be on your list before Targett?

Tierney would have been my choice, even if there was talk that he was on his way to Arsenal. Lots of ambitious clubs have come from nowhere to beat bigger clubs to signings and we should have just put in a bid and seen what happened. 

Even if that wasn't likely, I'm sure there are some very good left backs in Europe that are better than Targett who are obtainable. Perhaps a couple at the under 21 tournament. 

As I said though, hopefully my judgement is wrong and Targett turns out to be a great signing.

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Tierney would have been my choice, even if there was talk that he was on his way to Arsenal. Lots of ambitious clubs have come from nowhere to beat bigger clubs to signings and we should have just put in a bid and seen what happened. 

Even if that wasn't likely, I'm sure there are some very good left backs in Europe that are better than Targett who are obtainable. Perhaps a couple at the under 21 tournament. 

As I said though, hopefully my judgement is wrong and Targett turns out to be a great signing.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong I just think it's interesting to hear who people think we should have gone for instead. Targett is the only left back I've really seen us linked with.

I like the look of Tierney, but the money Celtic would be wanting for a player that has only ever played in the SPL would be a massive risk. I know people will use McGinn as an argument but he's the exception not the rule when comes to players coming down from Scotland, also he was not a financial risk, the fee we paid was so small, we'd of likely got back most of it even if he flopped.

I kind of feel like Targett is the best we could reasonably expect to get, within the parameters we've set ourselves, there's always the argument we could pick up some one cheaper abroad, but we need players to hit the ground running, with his Premier League experience I'd expect Targett to be able to do that.

I know we are a big club, have lots of money, and all that jazz but a lot of players will want to see us survive in the Premier League before we'd become an attractive proposition to them, I think we are going to struggle to attract much bigger names until then.

I'm fairly pleased with this. Was brilliant a couple of season ago at Fulham, didn't see much of him last season but seem to recall a few Southampton fans rating him over Bertrand. Smith wants expansive football and Targett fits in with that based on being good with the ball and having good delivery.

Â