Matt Targett

villan-scott

I think we are overpaying for him but he’ll be worth it in the long term, he was excellent in the play off final against us for Fulham, not the season just gone but the one before. He’s a typical modern day full back with an excellent delivery on him. He’ll be great for us I think, vast upgrade on Taylor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Yep. They see them week in week out, in all kinds of situations on and off the pitch. I'd put them above any scout.

I take it you disagree?

Well if you took these pages as an example many reading through would say a lot of Villa Fans think Hutton was a complete disaster, Westwood was a complete incompetent (despite forging a decent Premier League career) Rushian HM looking a good prospect if only given some time but Keinan  Davis has no prospect of making it. 

Football fans develop very very biased views on players and very often the fan base is completely split. 

I would rather trust the judgement an experienced scout/coach. 

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Lool why is this so hard to comprehend? There's two spots for the left back position, just my opinion that Taylor will start the campaign as the starting left back, I don't really rate Targett from what I've seen (yes I have seen him play for Saints)

Because it makes no sense. 

He wouldn't come here to sit on the bench and we wouldn't spend that money on a back up in a position we need to improve on. 

He may not start the first game but he is being signed to be our first choice lb

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Southampton have brought through a hell of a lot of youth players, they're one of the best in the country in terms of their academy and bringing through youth. This guy's 23 and hasn't managed to make much of an impression in 5 years.

This seems like a lot of money for a PL fringe player. When the other teams fans are rubbing their hands together, delighted with the money they've got for one of their players, it's a worrying sign. To be fair to him, he was good at Fulham, so hopefully he can make the step up as a regular starter.

I honestly don't think thats an indicator though. Ward prowse was/still is shit according to most of their fans and was often a bench player but he was being touted for england this season.  My mate is a southampton fan and they have been absolute dirge for the past few years. I know from our final few years in the Prem how easy it is for the more technical players/less physical players to get cast aside and labelled as shite but then thrive when they move to a club with players that can give a f**k and actually pass a football.

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because it makes no sense. 

He wouldn't come here to sit on the bench and we wouldn't spend that money on a back up in a position we need to improve on. 

He may not start the first game but he is being signed to be our first choice lb

Fair enough, of course I hope he does well for us. Just wish we had a more pacy LB. One of his criticism is that he rarely overlaps, but I suppose Dean Smith is good at working wonders with these sort of players

Edited by supermon

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well if you took these pages as an example many reading through would say a lot of Villa Fans think Hutton was a complete disaster, Westwood was a complete incompetent (despite forging a decent Premier League career) Rushian HM looking a good prospect if only given some time but Keinan  Davis has no prospect of making it. 

Football fans develop very very biased views on players and very often the fan base is completely split. 

I would rather trust the judgement an experienced scout/coach. 

A lot of people had written off Taylor, but now have him as first choice. Perhaps that’s an indication of the importance of good coaching. We can only judge players once they’ve been coached well and integrated in to a system of playing. Some will settle quickly and other take more time. Either way the coaching staff have earned the right to have that time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A lot of people had written off Taylor, but now have him as first choice. Perhaps that’s an indication of the importance of good coaching. We can only judge players once they’ve been coached well and integrated in to a system of playing. Some will settle quickly and other take more time. Either way the coaching staff have earned the right to have that time. 

He was only first choice because they’re was no alternative. Agree with your post though. 

• Like 1

Perhaps a football forum is the wrong place to post this but, jeez, there are so many ‘back seat drivers’ on speculation threads. Why do blokes think that they know better than someone who has all the facts to hand (including budgets, available targets and their likely purchase values) and knows much more about what is required to compliment the squad? Until a player has played for us for a decent number of games, we’ll never know whether we should have signed a player or whether the supposed fee was ‘value’.Then it’s just management with hindsight as the posters who happen to have guessed correctly on the occasion shout loudly whilst those who got it wrong usually keep their heads low.

Especially when were are currently being managed well, there appears to be many Billy Bleach “Hold the bells” characters on speculation threads.

• Like 1

There's absolutely no way he's coming here to play behind Taylor in the Premier League. Taylor was pretty awful in the Championship. Granted, he got better as the season went on but he provides us absolutely nothing going forward. Considering how many goals we score from crosses, it's pretty tragic that I don't think he's even got 1 assist from a cross.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's absolutely no way he's coming here to play behind Taylor in the Premier League. Taylor was pretty awful in the Championship. Granted, he got better as the season went on but he provides us absolutely nothing going forward. Considering how many goals we score from crosses, it's pretty tragic that I don't think he's even got 1 assist from a cross.

El Ghazi goal v Forest. Although there was still a lot to do.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve never seen him play so can’t really comment. As for the fans opinion of him most fans don’t know what they are talking about but if pretty much all of them are happy his leaving then it’s a bit worrying. 

Do you worry that Smith and his team haven’t researched the player correctly?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah I’d expect they would have done a lot of research on him before shelling out that kind of money. 

So what is worrying you about this possible transfer?

He only played three less games for Southampton last season than did Bertrand, they also got half their points last season in Targett's sixteen league appearances for them.

Â