Matt Targett

villan-scott

The "eye test" is subjective by nature. I would hazard a guess we're usually slightly less patient with our own players, so if we're putting more stock into that then all our players will probably be a little over-criticized. Targett is defo fine for where we are and probably where we'll likely be in the short term. He's not a poor player by any means imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Depends what exactly cross completion based on. If it was based on quality, then the players on the end of the crosses are poor. But I doubt it is.

That's what the xA is for, and his xA is consistently above his actual Assists, suggesting it is in fact players not finishing his chances.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we can waffle about pass completion, cross completion, or any other stat we want, but the eye test will tell anyone that targett is a very limited player going forward, well....maybe not completely limited, but defo not suited to a very attacking full back role where he is expected to be up and down the pitch and highly mobile, and a core part of providing width and wide threat.

Yes stats are very important, but football is a game where stats must be used in conjunction with the "eye test".

He a) isnt mobile enough, b) too static, and c) isnt that good at doing things while progressing the ball (ie: if you watch him, he completes a LOT of his actions standing still, he isnt good at moving AND doing things with the ball).

I knew the "eye test" would get brought up, I would've put money on it if I could.

I use the "eye test" too, from watching Targett I happen to think he's quite a good full back that is unfairly maligned on here, the stats just back up my opinions on him, and my opinion of him is how I knew I could find him performing well in those stats.

I don’t get the hate Targett gets at times. He can be absolutely quality on his day. I’m not pro him being “replaced”, but I do think Digne is better but I’d want both so that they both have competition and stay on their toes 

• Like 2

I wonder if Newcastle might come in for Targett if we sign Digne, they're desperate for a left-back, have been playing Ritchie their recently. Not that I'd want us to sell, I'm not even sure if we desperately need to replace him as it is, although can understand us wanting a more attack minded player that will perhaps suit Gerrard's system better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I don’t get the hate Targett gets at times. He can be absolutely quality on his day. I’m not pro him being “replaced”, but I do think Digne is better but I’d want both so that they both have competition and stay on their toes 

There is no hate.

He simply isn't good enough anymore.

He lack the fundamentals like pace and athleticism to become a top fullback.

Happy for him to be a squad man but the buck stops there.

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm hoping today's rumour mill doesnt affect his mindset before tomorrow night

If anything it should have the opposite impact and he should try and have a stormer. 

• Like 2

On 09/01/2022 at 05:27, osmark86 said:

The "eye test" is subjective by nature. I would hazard a guess we're usually slightly less patient with our own players, so if we're putting more stock into that then all our players will probably be a little over-criticized. Targett is defo fine for where we are and probably where we'll likely be in the short term. He's not a poor player by any means imo.

It's almost worthless considering many have predisposition about a player when conducting the eye test

Targett is OK as backup but, let's be honest, he is an average PL left back who hasn't managed to break into the England squad. We are replacing him with a player who has nearly 50 caps for France, has played for Barcelona, PSG and Roma and is rated as one of the best full backs in the division. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Targett is OK as backup but, let's be honest, he is an average PL left back who hasn't managed to break into the England squad. We are replacing him with a player who has nearly 50 caps for France, has played for Barcelona, PSG and Roma and is rated as one of the best full backs in the division. 

He’s above average, played very well last season and would say he was unlucky not to be close to the England set up. However, this season has been poor by last seasons standards.

Tough as it is, I am glad the club is being ruthless in its pursuit of meaningful progress and pushing the standards everywhere.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

We are desperate for depth and cover at fullback , with Kessler backing or competing with Cash now hopefully and the same with Dinge and Target on the opposite side.

2 hours ago, useless said:

for Targett if we sign Digne, they're desperate for a left-back, have been playing Ritchie their recently. Not that I'd want us to sell, I'm not even sure if we desperately need to replace him as it is, although can understand us wanting a more attack minded player that will perhaps suit Gerrard's system

An interesting idea. Newcastle could do a lot worse than Targett tbf. 

Yeah I think he'll be first proper victim of Gerrard's ruthless edge.

Someone most would keep around based on last season but get the feeling Gerrard has quickly concluded he isn't going to be good enough for where he wants to take us. Still mid 20s so should get our money back on him from somewhere.

The question I always ask myself is which team in the league would buy targett? That’s generally an indication of the quality of the player. 
Norwich, Newcastle and maybe watford? That pretty much tells you it’s time to sell him in the summer and get a higher ceiling younger back up for digne. 

9 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Think he’s off in the summer unless a good offer comes in this month. We’ll have a young understudy for Digne. Feels like he’s hit his ceiling. 

Isn't Kesler RB? 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

The question I always ask myself is which team in the league would buy targett? That’s generally an indication of the quality of the player. 
Norwich, Newcastle and maybe watford? That pretty much tells you it’s time to sell him in the summer and get a higher ceiling younger back up for digne. 

Everton dont have a senior left back they would sign him, Leeds definitely. Is a few others that would be interested 

Â