Jack Butland

alreadyexists

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I remember I was watching Premier league greatest goals once and there was a ridiculous amount of long rangers against Barthez in there. 

5.11 is probably a bit too small for a top keeper. 

You mean 2 times Premier League winner, 2 times Ligue 1 winner, Champions League winner, European Championship winner and World Cup winner Fabien Barthez?

Yeah you're probably right...

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You mean 2 times Premier League winner, 2 times Ligue 1 winner, Champions League winner, European Championship winner, World Cup winner Fabien Barthez?

Yeah you're probably right...

Did I say he was shit anywhere in my post?  He just let in a hell of a lot of long rangers.

Obviously he was a world class keeper but I’m sure even you can admit he is an exception. 

Actually probably not...

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Regardless of his height I think Butland has gone backwards since his injury and will be a huge mistake to sign him

With Steer signing a new deal - and Kalinic looking to be on the way out - I really doubt we will be spending £20m on a keeper.

I think the etheridge link was just a speculative enquiry - we hoped to get a better keeper partly funded by the sale of kalinic - some people then thought villa were looking for a new keeper - and linked us with a keeper most likley to move.

Surprised this thread is still open to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did I say he was shit anywhere in my post?  He just let in a hell of a lot of long rangers.

Obviously he was a world class keeper but I’m sure even you can admit he is an exception. 

Actually probably not...

Eh?

You specifically mentioned Barthez and said his height was "a bit too small for a top keeper". The implication being that Barthez wasn't a top keeper. 

Apologies if I misinterpreted that.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh?

You specifically mentioned Barthez and said his height was "a bit too small for a top keeper". The implication being that Barthez wasn't a top keeper. 

Apologies if I misinterpreted that.

I thought I had also wrote yet he won it all. Looks like I hadn’t! 

One of them days. Sorry 

• Like 1

What actually are the differences between Championship and Premier League football for keepers?  If anything I'd say the PL is less physical so I'm not sure being taller/bigger is necessarily that important.  I guess the accuracy of shot and level of finishing is higher so you need to be really agile and pull off world class saves, plus we are likely to be on the back foot more and have more shots against us.  If we are going to play out from the back then the keeper needs to be good with his feet.  Anyway the point I was trying to make is that if Steer looked the part for us in the Championship run in, I don't see what attributes he is missing for the step up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hippo said:

With Steer signing a new deal - and Kalinic looking to be on the way out - I really doubt we will be spending £20m on a keeper.

I think the etheridge link was just a speculative enquiry - we hoped to get a better keeper partly funded by the sale of kalinic - some people then thought villa were looking for a new keeper - and linked us with a keeper most likley to move.

Surprised this thread is still open to be honest.

Surely the part in bold means we would be looking for a new keeper? We’d only really have Steer if Kalinic left because I don’t think Nyland really counts. Nyland at PL level is stuff nightmares are made of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Surely the part in bold means we would be looking for a new keeper? We’d only really have Steer if Kalinic left because I don’t think Nyland really counts. Nyland at PL level is stuff nightmares are made of. 

Yes - what I meant was we will be replacing Kalinic with someone in that price bracket. Not a £20m player.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yes - what I meant was we will be replacing Kalinic with someone in that price bracket. Not a £20m player.

Maybe not £20m. But it will be a starting goalkeeper.

We won't be starting the season with Jed Steer as our number 1.

• Like 1

Â