Jack Butland

alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well I m sure of one thing - oh feck what is it again ?

Was it something about height? 😋

41 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Stop panicking. One thing I do not doubt is that this club are a step or two ahead. We know exactly what we need to do. I know it seems like the sesson is upon is but its not. Most players and agents are either on holiday or at some competition.

We can and probably will sign players in clutches. We dont need to space them out. Planning has gone in for this since way before the season ended. Smith said so.

I can't wait for the drama to begin and that it will mostly be in July. So enjoy the sun, relax and know the club is on it. Great times are just around the corner.

Nicely put sir.

I agree with you fully and it's also where I'm at.

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

What about the amazing flying save he had a few minutes before that?

I think that going with Steer would cost us, but let's give the credit where it's due.

It was a good save but it’s pretty pointless if he then let’s one in that he could have saved. I like Jed. He has done well for us but I think Butland is a big step up and he can be our number 1 for years. If we can get him then we definitely should.

People talk about other priorities but why do they think we will sign a GK instead of a centre half for example? We will sign both if suitable options are available. 

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

“Turns out to be poor”

We have all seen him play! It’s not like he is an unknown quantity!

Ok so not poor, but not exactly PL quality. Difficult to judge in the 16 or so games he played at the end of last season, difficult for me to judge anyway. This is as much about having no faith in Nyland if Kalinic is sold.

15 hours ago, hippo said:

I recall many years back - we should pay the then whopping £10m for scott carson - he would be our & englands keeper for years to come.

You should know by now, if a player plays for Liverpool he gets called up for England without needing to do anything else. 

If a player gets called up for England whilst playing for Stoke then you know the call up is well deserved and probably come far later than it should have.

Carson was never good enough to get an England cap, don't we just know it. I remember Villa fans were convinced there was a clause in the loan deal with a must play stipulation because he was that bad.

Making an inference about Butland based on a stunning sample size of 1 past player, not particularly robust. Butland seems to be much more competent than Carson. Carson always had dodgy handling and an inability to command his area, from what I've seen of Butland he seems to tick most of boxes under core goalkeeping competencies and has age on his side to boot. 

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

What if we buy Butland and he turns out to be poor, and after 6 months Steer is in goal doing a fine job! There is not enough evidence for me to write Jed off without giving him a chance. He has played less than half season for us as our preferred goalie and he was instrumental in us getting promoted.

That's just it isn't it can't write off a GK when he did absoloute superb for us. I think he will do fine, he upped his game for us in the championship. Who knows but maybe keeping Nyland and Kalanic around maybe good competition for him and he will just rise to the occasion.

I'm against buying a big signing keeper for now as I think Steer will be fine if the team is doing fine. We already know hes a very good shot stopper it's his game where the ball is in our box from longballs that needs upping.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

That's just it isn't it can't write off a GK when he did absoloute superb for us. I think he will do fine, he upped his game for us in the championship. Who knows but maybe keeping Nyland and Kalanic around maybe good competition for him and he will just rise to the occasion.

I'm against buying a big signing keeper for now as I think Steer will be fine if the team is doing fine. We already know hes a very good shot stopper it's his game where the ball is in our box from longballs that needs upping.

or the team will be doing fine, if steer is doing fine.

15 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Look at the Gayle goal in the SF. A top GK does not concede that

When Steer gets one smashed past him ^^

13 hours ago, M_Afro said:

He was Stoke player of the season. When did we last have a GK win that award?

In response to my suggestion that even top keepers can make howlers ^^

I get your position on the fact that you believe that Butland is a better keeper, and I don’t disagree.

What I don’t agree with is your statement saying top keepers do not let in a goal like the semi final goal as a justification to say Steer isn’t good enough. 

A bit like saying Maradonna or Beckham or Baggio or Messi can’t be top players because top players don’t miss penalties. Because they do.

6 hours ago, Thug said:

When Steer gets one smashed past him ^^

In response to my suggestion that even top keepers can make howlers ^^

I get your position on the fact that you believe that Butland is a better keeper, and I don’t disagree.

What I don’t agree with is your statement saying top keepers do not let in a goal like the semi final goal as a justification to say Steer isn’t good enough. 

A bit like saying Maradonna or Beckham or Baggio or Messi can’t be top players because top players don’t miss penalties. Because they do.

I suppose my point is that the semi final goal wasn’t an error by Jed. Jed just wasn’t good enough to get there and make the save whereas a top GK would have been. Of course all players can make mistakes and GKs do drop clangers but there is a distinct difference between a clanger and a minor lack of ability. That save was out of his skill range but would have been within the capability of a better GK.

I think people are getting carried away which how much money we have to spend.

Sure I would love love 2 £20m cbs , another  winger and another striker plus a £20m goalkeeper. 

But we already have steer - sure he might not be a totally top draw gk - but we arent yet ready for the top 6 - there are other areas I would spend the money.

• Like 1

Â