Jack Butland

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yes - what I meant was we will be replacing Kalinic with someone in that price bracket. Not a £20m player.

Gotcha although I wouldn’t be surprised to see a £20m outlay on a keeper we can rely on for 10 or so years who would maintain a resale value if he wanted to leave. Lord knows we’ve been through enough keepers who haven’t cut it. I’d rather we didn’t risk it this time and I wouldn’t be surprised if the management were thinking the same.

£20m is just the price now. Didn’t Everton pay £30m for Pickford and we all thought it was mental? He’s probably worth more now through inflation alone. 

I'm still rooting for Steer, I believe he will give any GK a good tough time and then what are we going to do if he does that after we've brought a new keeper for 20 mill.

We will all be on here again moaning about what a waste that was signing yet another keeper who couldn't keep Steer away. I think Steer deserves a start as no1 to see if the man can hack the premier with a good capable defence and squad in front of him which I think is key, I think Steer will up his level this season.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe not £20m. But it will be a starting goalkeeper.

We won't be starting the season with Jed Steer as our number 1.

I  reckon JS will start as number 1. 

I think we tried to move sharp for etheridge for 9m or so. That didnt happen - I think it might be an older keeper who can step in should js struggle.

With the amount of holes we have to fill - I dont think we can fund a a £20m keeper. Although we have wealthy owners I think the bulk of the signings will be in 8-12m bracket

I notice that the club are really rolling out the vip treatment for Steer on social media, reminds me of last summer when Hutton signed a contract, and it was if we'd signed Dani Alves or someone, strange if he's going to be our sub goalkeeper. But then I think of all those 'welcomes', and maybe there is something in the Butland rumours, I remember The Villa View said something similar about Abraham last year, and it was quite a while before he actually signed.

People really spent last 5 pages agreeing about how tall he is?:lol:

Bigger issue for me is I've seen Stoke games where his kicking and distribution has been as bad as Guzan, just endlessly kicking the ball out of play when under pressure. I think people expecting a builder from the back keeper are going to be massively disappointed. For 20m would expect keeper calm under pressure as it's also a weakness for Jed as we saw at West Brom.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Other Mat said:

Butland is a superb keeper. Much, much better than Steer. Not sure he's gone backwards, he was in the EFL whoscored team of the season, with 17 clean sheets (highest in the league). Loads of my friends are Stokies, they're gutted he's on his way out, they love him, he was their best player again last season. £20m for a reasonably young England International with Premiership expierence is a bargain (relatively speaking!). 

It would put him in the top 10 goalkeeper transfers of all time. 

Its robbery, would pay 8 million at most

Going forwards that'll be the going rate for a decent goalkeeper in prem. Pickford was £28.5m he's no better than Butland and Begovic went to Bournemouth for £10m, 2 seasons ago, at the age of 30. £8m rarely gets you a decent, consistent, premier league ready player anywhere on the pitch in today's market. 

3 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

Going forwards that'll be the going rate for a decent goalkeeper in prem. Pickford was £28.5m he's no better than Butland and Begovic went to Bournemouth for £10m, 2 seasons ago, at the age of 30. £8m rarely gets you a decent, consistent, premier league ready player anywhere on the pitch in today's market. 

Lukas Fabianski says otherwise. Signed for just 7m from Swansea and had a brilliant season for them.

anuel Pellegrini says Lukasz Fabianski deserves to be West Ham’s Player of the Year — but hopes their brilliant keeper’s not even a contender for the award in 12 months' time.

Fabianski has proved one of the bargains of the season, since arriving from relegated Swansea for just last summer. New boss Pellegrini has been delighted with the ex-Arsenal reserve’s contribution, but is also annoyed that he has had to make so many saves. Premier League

The 34-year-old Poland international has let in 54 Premier League goals in their 36 games so far — but has prevented plenty of others. And Pellegrini says his outfield players must make sure Fabianski has a quieter time next season if they are to qualify for Europe.

He said: “Lucasz deserves every award that he can receive. The price that we brought him here, of course, it was a very good one. Would I prefer him not to be so busy next season? I certainly hope we are able to concede less goals. That is one of the reasons why we didn’t improve this season.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lukasz-fabianski-west-ham-player-14993771

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'm still rooting for Steer, I believe he will give any GK a good tough time and then what are we going to do if he does that after we've brought a new keeper for 20 mill.

We would then have 2 PL quality goalkeepers fighting for the number 1 spot. To flip it on its head though, what would we do if we don't buy a new keeper and Steer turns out to be poor?

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fabianski is also 34

Is that so bad? He can be their first choice for another four seasons. We signed Friedel when he was 37 and he didn't miss a single league game over three seasons. Wasn't quite as good as at Blackburn but still solid enough for us. Van Der Sar was 34 when Man. United signed him and he solved Man. United's keeper problems for a while.

I do think some are taking Purslow comments too much at face value. We will sign another player on season long loan I'm sure and I imagine we may sign a player or two over 23 years old, infact we very much need to as team needs some experience and top level know how in all three areas.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Bigger issue for me is I've seen Stoke games where his kicking and distribution has been as bad as Guzan, just endlessly kicking the ball out of play when under pressure. I think people expecting a builder from the back keeper are going to be massively disappointed. For 20m would expect keeper calm under pressure as it's also a weakness for Jed as we saw at West Brom.

this is where good scouting is paramount.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

To be fair to play as a sweeper keeper under pressure is a weakness for most keepers apart from the very best. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We would then have 2 PL quality goalkeepers fighting for the number 1 spot. To flip it on its head though, what would we do if we don't buy a new keeper and Steer turns out to be poor?

Would have to wait till January and sign one right?? Gives Steer a few months at the job..

• Like 1

Â