Jack Butland

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I did tell people last week this wasn’t done as some were claiming and so willing to believe.

I think our interest is real, I think he will leave Stoke and I think we’ve a great chance of landing him but until it’s done it ain’t done. Surely we learned that the hard way with Joe Bryan last summer?

I agree, until its been announced by the Official website I am never so confident.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm reliably informed 3 inches is far above average.

If we’re talking about radius, then sure, not too bad 👍

On 18/06/2019 at 16:07, Thats2 said:

I was surprised about Pickford too so I did some digging and found:

Victor Valdes: 6’0

Keylor Navas: 6’1

Igor Akinfeev: 6’1

Iker Casillas: 6’1

Jan Oblak: 6’2

Ederson: 6’2

Hugo Lloris: 6’2

Marc ter Stegen: 6’2

Kasper Schmeichel: 6’2

Those are some of the best keepers in the world, and not all of them are considered ‘sweeper keepers’. Maybe we shouldn’t concern ourselves so much over height.

It's notable that none of the ones below 6'2 play in the Premier League (besides Pickford, who is not one of the best in the world).

The biggest weakness for small keepers is usually dealing with the high ball. That takes on greater significance in the Premier League, where teams tend to be strong on set pieces, and you have tall centre backs hitting the box.

• Like 2

Steer is a couple of inches short for the Premier League in my opinion. As KentVillan says keepers need to be able to dominate at set pieces.

Butland has the ideal stature, and if we sign two commanding CB's .... Mings, Webster? .... We will drop less points next season due to set pieces.

seems to be a few people (Dan Bardell etc), who reckon this is done?......would love to know what makes them think that?....or at least i would like to know how they know :)

• Like 2

Stoke are signing a keeper on a free who's contract is up at the end of the month. I would imagine they will wait until that is 100% finalised before letting Butland leave. If Bardell etc think it's all sorted then great, barring any hiccups with Stoke's replacement then we should hear shortly into July.

Roma looking to sign Pau Lopez from Betis for £18m

Much rather have him than Butland if the money is similar.

And if Roma end up signing him them Robin Olssen will be available for even less money.

I'd take a punt on him if so.

Edited by sne

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

seems to be a few people (Dan Bardell etc), who reckon this is done?......would love to know what makes them think that?....or at least i would like to know how they know :)

Dan Bardell has connections at the club. Most external sources like Journalists and other assumed #ITK are just guessing based on hearsay, but Dan is directly connected to the club these days. If anyone was to hear anything it would be him.

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Dan Bardell has connections at the club. Most external sources like Journalists and other assumed #ITK are just guessing based on hearsay, but Dan is directly connected to the club these days. If anyone was to hear anything it would be him.

So from that can we assume it is done???

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Him, and a couple other Villa View guys went as far as sending him welcome messages on Twitter 4 or 5 days ago. Which made me believe the same. So I would find it bizarre if they out themselves out there like that without info?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Him, and a couple other Villa View guys went as far as sending him welcome messages on Twitter 4 or 5 days ago. Which made me believe the same. So I would find it bizarre if they out themselves out there like that without info?

lets hope they are right.....

Just now, MaVilla said:

So from that can we assume it is done???

It's a more reliable source than most of the people saying it. If he says it's done I'm a lot more confident to believe it.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It's notable that none of the ones below 6'2 play in the Premier League (besides Pickford, who is not one of the best in the world).

The biggest weakness for small keepers is usually dealing with the high ball. That takes on greater significance in the Premier League, where teams tend to be strong on set pieces, and you have tall centre backs hitting the box.

I don’t think it’s the inch difference between 6’1 and 6’2 that makes Lloris & Schmeichel (and Heaton for that matter, who is also 6’2) better fits for the Premier League than Casillas or Navas would be/would have been. In fact ‘reach’ matters more than height, and for that we’d need to know arm length and vertical leap. In the NBA you see plenty of 6’9 guys who have a longer reach than 7’0 guys, as well as a vast range of vertical leaps. And bravery matters almost as much for high balls as reach.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 16:07, Thats2 said:

I was surprised about Pickford too so I did some digging and found:

Victor Valdes: 6’0

Keylor Navas: 6’1

Igor Akinfeev: 6’1

Iker Casillas: 6’1

Jan Oblak: 6’2

Ederson: 6’2

Hugo Lloris: 6’2

Marc ter Stegen: 6’2

Kasper Schmeichel: 6’2

Those are some of the best keepers in the world, and not all of them are considered ‘sweeper keepers’. Maybe we shouldn’t concern ourselves so much over height.

If they are 6'2 or over we shouldn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thats2 said:

I don’t think it’s the inch difference between 6’1 and 6’2 that makes Lloris & Schmeichel (and Heaton for that matter, who is also 6’2) better fits for the Premier League than Casillas or Navas would be/would have been. In fact ‘reach’ matters more than height, and for that we’d need to know arm length and vertical leap. In the NBA you see plenty of 6’9 guys who have a longer reach than 7’0 guys, as well as a vast range of vertical leaps. And bravery matters almost as much for high balls as reach.

Rarely is one attribute enough......but talking about height, was not excluding all the other crucial attributes.

simply saying a small keeper has his work cut out, not impossible.....but when tall strikers and centre backs pile in, a bit of physical presence is needed to avoid intimidation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â