Jack Butland

alreadyexists

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah.

I mean height obviously IS important. It definitely helps.

Thibaut Courtois wouldn't be as good if he wasn't so tall. It's a good attribute. But Ederson is 4 or 5 inches shorter and is a better goalkeeper. It's not the be all and end all.

I think if Thibaut wasn't as tall as he is, he'd be next to useless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

A few months yes, but that's the equivalent of 21 games. Still a risk in my opinion.

What if we buy Butland and he turns out to be poor, and after 6 months Steer is in goal doing a fine job! There is not enough evidence for me to write Jed off without giving him a chance. He has played less than half season for us as our preferred goalie and he was instrumental in us getting promoted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To elaborate, I don't think Jed alone will get us relegated. He has proved to be a solid enough keeper, with a good save in him AND he has already shown that he can step up in the highest of pressure situations.

For the amount of money we are talking about spending I'd rather go and get a quality left back, or a quality holding midfielder. They are the bigger holes that need filling.

I trust in what's going on at Villa so I won't question any of their decisions once they are made. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

Good goal keepers are so under rated by some people and I cannot understand why. We haven’t had a good GK for years. If we can get Butland then we should. A good GK can win you games with their performances. I think that Jed has done ok but I would not say that he has actually put in a match winning performance. Look at the Gayle goal in the SF. A top GK does not concede that (harsh on Jed but I am just trying to emphasise my point). Not an obvious error but simply an example of where marginal improvements can make a massive difference.

I remember going to watch villa play at Sunderland in the league cup in the early nineties with my dad. We won the match 4-1 I think and were largely outplayed from start to finish. The difference that day was Bosnich. He was simply unbeatable. I can remember lots of recent incidences where we have had GK cost us points but few where they have won them for us. Butland has the ability to do that for us.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Good goal keepers are so under rated by some people and I cannot understand why. We haven’t had a good GK for years. If we can get Butland then we should. A good GK can win you games with their performances. I think that Jed has done ok but I would not say that he has actually put in a match winning performance. Look at the Gayle goal in the SF. A top GK does not concede that (harsh on Jed but I am just trying to emphasise my point). Not an obvious error but simply an example of where marginal improvements can make a massive difference.

What about the amazing flying save he had a few minutes before that?

I think that going with Steer would cost us, but let's give the credit where it's due.

We simply cannot risk being underprepared for this season back in the PL. It was so difficult and expensive to get out of the Championship it would be crazy to not invest now if the owners really do intend to cement us back in the top flight. 

We are lucky to have this chance in the PL there is no divine right to be there, so to not take it would be foolish in my opinion. 

Edit: I don’t necessarily mean by buying Butland, 

Edited by alreadyexists

Jed has done ok for us.

Penalties aside, i can't recall him making a save that i wouldn't expect any half decent keeper to make.  I'm not saying he has made mistakes either, because he hasn't that i can recall.  However, i can see goals he conceded where a better keeper would not have, and that concerns me when moving up a level.

As others have said, he wont be 'bad' for us in the PL, but i cannot see him saving us any points as I just don't think he has the ability to make anything more than average saves unfortunately.

A few managers overlooked Steer at Villa, not just one. If he was good enough then surely one of them would have given him chance before Smith did? Or, is Cutler a genius at making keepers better? 

I appreciate what Steer did for us in our promotion push but let's face it he only got his chance because Nyland was injured, Bunn was ancient and, Kalinic took a bang on the head and through the towel in. 

I think he got lucky in how he got his chance and took it well. But, there's no doubting that, at times, he's looked ropey too. That spell in the second half of the play-off semi-final where he looked very dodgy was a warning sign. But, he covered himself in glory by making two great penalty saves and he also had a good game in the final. 

Maybe it's a confidence thing with him and he was riding a crest of a wave? Something tells me he's not up to Premier League level but then again, he's not had chance to show if he is. It's a tough call really. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is that so bad? He can be their first choice for another four seasons. We signed Friedel when he was 37 and he didn't miss a single league game over three seasons. Wasn't quite as good as at Blackburn but still solid enough for us. Van Der Sar was 34 when Man. United signed him and he solved Man. United's keeper problems for a while.

I do think some are taking Purslow comments too much at face value. We will sign another player on season long loan I'm sure and I imagine we may sign a player or two over 23 years old, infact we very much need to as team needs some experience and top level know how in all three areas.

No, but that's why he was £7m. There is more inherent risk in signing a 34 year old Vs a 26 year old. At that age they may well be just done. 

Ultimately it comes down the value. Butland is a 26 year old England international, player of the season for his club twice in 3 years. If he's available for £20m and you get a minimum of 5 years out of him, is that more valuable to the club than a riskier 34 year old for £7m on a 2 year deal and having £13m left to play with that we may or may not need?

I would say no. I'd go for the younger player every time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I remember going to watch villa play at Sunderland in the league cup in the early nineties with my dad. We won the match 4-1 I think and were largely outplayed from start to finish. The difference that day was Bosnich. He was simply unbeatable. I can remember lots of recent incidences where we have had GK cost us points but few where they have won them for us. Butland has the ability to do that for us.

https://www.90min.com/posts/5986830-leicester-city-1-1-stoke-city-jack-butland-howler-rescues-point-for-foxes

11 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We would then have 2 PL quality goalkeepers fighting for the number 1 spot. To flip it on its head though, what would we do if we don't buy a new keeper and Steer turns out to be poor?

“Turns out to be poor”

We have all seen him play! It’s not like he is an unknown quantity!

Edited by DJ_Villain

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

How come Stoke finished mid table then?

Edited by Villan_of_oz
Ooops

We need about 10 players just not to be an embarrassment on the day we need to register a 25 man squad. We’ve got one broken centreback, and another we signed for £3m who has a sub for us in the championship.  We’re desperate for a DM and quality fullbacks.

We have a guy in goal who was instrumental in getting us up, Playing his part in a record winning streak before putting in a heroic display in the play off semi final, and we have a Croatian international keeper as back up.

Could we do with a better keeper? Any team on the planet is always looking to improve...

But i’d MUCH rather spend any of that £20m making sure Mings and A.N.Other on that teamsheet at the beginning of the year.

if we’ve got a full squad come beginning of August, and we’ve got a spare £20m, then sure... start looking at the keeper situation.

• Like 1

Stop panicking. One thing I do not doubt is that this club are a step or two ahead. We know exactly what we need to do. I know it seems like the sesson is upon is but its not. Most players and agents are either on holiday or at some competition.

We can and probably will sign players in clutches. We dont need to space them out. Planning has gone in for this since way before the season ended. Smith said so.

I can't wait for the drama to begin and that it will mostly be in July. So enjoy the sun, relax and know the club is on it. Great times are just around the corner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

A few managers overlooked Steer at Villa, not just one. If he was good enough then surely one of them would have given him chance before Smith did?

You mean those same managers who failed to get Villa promoted despite having some of the best players and biggest budget in the league?

Sending out centre backs on loan - who go on to play really well for the new team? Selling others leaving us with one unfit centre back?  

And exactly who was Steer replaced with? Yeah, great keeper.

Great judges 👍🏼

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

Jed has done ok for us.

Penalties aside, i can't recall him making a save that i wouldn't expect any half decent keeper to make.  I'm not saying he has made mistakes either, because he hasn't that i can recall.  However, i can see goals he conceded where a better keeper would not have, and that concerns me when moving up a level.

As others have said, he wont be 'bad' for us in the PL, but i cannot see him saving us any points as I just don't think he has the ability to make anything more than average saves unfortunately.

More than that though, he's far more commanding over his six yard box than Nyland and Kalinic. Look at the way he took the two Derby crosses deep into injury time, many would've stayed on the line and hoped the defence dealt with it.

52 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No, but that's why he was £7m. There is more inherent risk in signing a 34 year old Vs a 26 year old. At that age they may well be just done. 

Ultimately it comes down the value. Butland is a 26 year old England international, player of the season for his club twice in 3 years. If he's available for £20m and you get a minimum of 5 years out of him, is that more valuable to the club than a riskier 34 year old for £7m on a 2 year deal and having £13m left to play with that we may or may not need?

I would say no. I'd go for the younger player every time. 

Fair enough, I think Fabianski is better keeper than Butland regardless of being older in any case.

On the flip side though, let's say Butland comes and has a good season for us. Cue endless transfer speculation about him going to one of the big 6 next summer....likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Man. United might be needing one.

Having an older keeper and you don't really have that problem.

Edited by VillaChris

12 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Stop panicking. One thing I do not doubt is that this club are a step or two ahead. We know exactly what we need to do. I know it seems like the sesson is upon is but its not. Most players and agents are either on holiday or at some competition.

We can and probably will sign players in clutches. We dont need to space them out. Planning has gone in for this since way before the season ended. Smith said so.

I can't wait for the drama to begin and that it will mostly be in July. So enjoy the sun, relax and know the club is on it. Great times are just around the corner.

I think you’ll see from my other posts that I’m in no panic at all at the lack of signings.

Ive clearly stated before that I’d rather wait towards the end of the window and get our primary targets than to move on prematurely.

I guess you’re referencing my post above, but I’m merely pointing out that we MUCH higher priorities than Jack Butland.

• Like 1

Â