Jack Butland

alreadyexists

We are in a very strong position with Butland.

1. He wants to play in the Premier League.

2. Stoke have already signed his replacement and will want to sell him.

3. Not that many premier league clubs will be able to afford his transfer fee and wages.

4. Virtually all that can already have top GKs.

Thus our competition is likely to be minimal or possibly even non existent. Low demand = low price. Stoke will eventually have to budge or risk being stuck with a very unhappy player who has high wages. It’s all about the waiting game this one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No I didn’t, I said it might well be agreed but he wasn’t signed. I was doubting the statements made by others that it was a done deal. So my position was very different to Dolan and Bardell.

I take no notice of Nixon.

Yes, yes. I know you were holding the horses so to speak and weren’t as adamant as Dolan and Bardell. You were much less promising in your appraisal, apologies for not coming across clearer in my previous post. 

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Yes, yes. I know you were holding the horses so to speak and weren’t as adamant as Dolan and Bardell. You were much less promising in your appraisal, apologies for not coming across clearer in my previous post. 

Appreciate but not needed mate. I genuinely don’t know the situation re Butland, I just knew it wasn’t done when the talk was going around last week. I was just trying to check expectations.

For what it’s worth, my view is we are interested, we’ve been speaking with Stoke and the player and the later may even be agreed but there is some way to go re fee.

It wouldn’t for instance surprise me at all if the player wants to come to Villa but Bournemouth have offered more. I think that’s a quite likely scenario.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Appreciate but not needed mate. I genuinely don’t know the situation re Butland, I just knew it wasn’t done when the talk was going around last week. I was just trying to check expectations.

For what it’s worth, my view is we are interested, we’ve been speaking with Stoke and the player and the later may even be agreed but there is some way to go re fee.

It wouldn’t for instance surprise me at all if the player wants to come to Villa but Bournemouth have offered more. I think that’s a quite likely scenario.

Do you think it’s also a factor in why Mings has yet to be completed also? 

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We are in a very strong position with Butland.

1. He wants to play in the Premier League.

2. Stoke have already signed his replacement and will want to sell him.

3. Not that many premier league clubs will be able to afford his transfer fee and wages.

4. Virtually all that can already have top GKs.

Thus our competition is likely to be minimal or possibly even non existent. Low demand = low price. Stoke will eventually have to budge or risk being stuck with a very unhappy player who has high wages. It’s all about the waiting game this one.

Yep, and GK isn't the kind of position that you necessarily need a full pre-season with anyway. I think some of the other transfers we'll want to act quickly so that we can work with the players properly before the season starts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you think it’s also a factor in why Mings has yet to be completed also? 

Butland? No doubt it personally. I think Mings is largely just about money although it’s possoble we don’t want to deepen their pockets I guess.

I think we’re very much at the sparring stage when it comes to signings. Clubs and agents will be testing the waters and as ever one deal can’t be seen in isolation and will often be very dependent on other deals happening. One deal drops in and sets the ball rolling. I know we need a lot of players, but you can’t always force issues no matter how much you want to. 

The other factor, which is often ignored, is the fact that the commodities we’re dealing with are humans with families and various other non football considerations. A player may fit in perfectly with our squad, but if for whatever reason he isn’t happy at home then you’ve got an uphill battle from the start. It’s a very tricky job getting all the ducks to line up perfectly. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think we’re very much at the sparring stage when it comes to signings. Clubs and agents will be testing the waters and as ever one deal can’t be seen in isolation and will often be very dependent on other deals happening. One deal drops in and sets the ball rolling. I know we need a lot of players, but you can’t always force issues no matter how much you want to. 

The other factor, which is often ignored, is the fact that the commodities we’re dealing with are humans with families and various other non football considerations. A player may fit in perfectly with our squad, but if for whatever reason he isn’t happy at home then you’ve got an uphill battle from the start. It’s a very tricky job getting all the ducks to line up perfectly. 

The ducks are refusing to line up?, point me in their direction.....I will have a "word".

fight me lets go GIF by Bounce

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

the last time I spoke to Donald he said the same.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I suppose my point is that the semi final goal wasn’t an error by Jed. Jed just wasn’t good enough to get there and make the save whereas a top GK would have been. Of course all players can make mistakes and GKs do drop clangers but there is a distinct difference between a clanger and a minor lack of ability. That save was out of his skill range but would have been within the capability of a better GK.

What about that finger tip save he made that tipped onto the crossbar, some would say that type of save is a class above the rest that only a certain amount of keeper will make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

The other factor, which is often ignored, is the fact that the commodities we’re dealing with are humans with families and various other non football considerations. 

Exactly Dave.. just ask the man in the middle.

david-unsworth-aston-villa.jpg

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I actually thought Everton behaved extremely well in this whole saga. They gave us exactly what we’d paid Wet Spam for him and to be fair he went on to be a very good player for them, despite his limited geography skills. I’ve always thought Everton to be a classy football club, unlike the clowns from across Stanley Park. 

I concur

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

What about that finger tip save he made that tipped onto the crossbar, some would say that type of save is a class above the rest that only a certain amount of keeper will make.

Well they would be wrong. 😎

Â