Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

8 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

Can't remember which website it was but someone did a really good analysis of wesley's strengths when we signed him, and it wasn't headers!

He's very good at dropping deep, retaining posession, spreading the ball wide, sprinting into the box, pulling front post defender out of position before nipping in front to finish a low front post cross.

It's all about timing and having a winger or full back able to beat his man. It'll come.

Yeah these ball's in the air are going to have to stop or at least slow down a bit.  We have no one to get on the end of them.  This happened in the Championship as well.  When teams bunkered down our only resort was to toss crosses into the box.  We never really tried to keep it on the ground and play through the middle.  I remember reading the same article on Wesley's strength.  He has a great first touch, can beat his man on the dribble and he showed the ability to post up and turn his defenders inside the box.  We need to try to keep it on the ground more going forward.  Play to Wesley's strength a bit more.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

Can't remember which website it was but someone did a really good analysis of wesley's strengths when we signed him, and it wasn't headers!

He's very good at dropping deep, retaining posession, spreading the ball wide, sprinting into the box, pulling front post defender out of position before nipping in front to finish a low front post cross.

It's all about timing and having a winger or full back able to beat his man. It'll come.

He's still a work in progress. With his height and power, he should be an aerial threat. As DS said when we signed him, "he scores every type of goal".

I just don't think the things he was given the time and space to do in the Belgian league will be enough to make him a success in England. The defenders here are faster and more switched on.

He has all the attributes to be a striker who beats defenders to high crosses, and if he can't add more of that to his game, I don't think he will succeed here.

I'd also be tempted to bring Kodjia in on one of the wings, as a genuine "wide striker", as I think this will suit Wesley's game much better, and take some pressure off him being the lone man up top.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 16:59, Lerner's Driver said:

IF he flops, he wouldn't be the first striker to come with a decent reputation elsewhere, flop for us and then promptly return to form elsewhere. It's still an IF though, for now.

Obviously because he’s only played two competitive games so far. This negativity is a bit much, let’s give him 10-15 games before we start forming proper opinions on him. 

I could have quoted a few people, this is not a dog at you Lerner’s Driver.

7 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Obviously because he’s only played two competitive games so far. This negativity is a bit much, let’s give him 10-15 games before we start forming proper opinions on him. 

I could have quoted a few people, this is not a dog at you Lerner’s Driver.

That's ruff.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

i remember a certain Mr Benteke getting the same stick , lets give wesley a chance

I totally agree. I also thought after Benteke’s first couple of games 'hmm this fella ain’t gonna be great'. I was wrong, first impressions don’t always last!

31 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Barking mad me mate!

He needs to take the lead more!...instead of going walkies.

I'll get my coat.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Benteke had a good first impression though. He scored on his debut.

He did indeed but looked awful , scored a bit of a jammy goal i recall off the bench ,spent a couple of weeks before that on the bench . Don't think he really stopped scoring after that

• Like 1

Think Wes will be fine. It’s an adjustment is all. Some of his work in preseason was excellent. Just needs to make it happen in the Prem. Easier said than done, but the way we went about getting him, our scouts must have seen something in him.

He’ll come good, give him time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

He did indeed but looked awful , scored a bit of a jammy goal i recall off the bench ,spent a couple of weeks before that on the bench . Don't think he really stopped scoring after that

He looked very good on his debut. It was the couple of games after where he didn't. I think it was the Norwich away game in the cup where he hit his stride.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

I totally agree. I also thought after Benteke’s first couple of games 'hmm this fella ain’t gonna be great'. I was wrong, first impressions don’t always last!

I remember quite a few calling him "The New Heskey" after his debut.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

After Swansea we started him at Southampton, it was one of the worst tactical decisions. Ended 4-1 to them in their first win.

Tactics and form didn't help, but he had shown qualities.

Big Wes showed he could hold up play, but we didn't see him much having chances.

Although saying that, you can't fault him when we're 2-0 down, it was always going to be hard breaking them.

I don't recall many chances for Abraham during the whole playoff matches. Its not that he's bad but sometimes the setup doesn't help.

Kozak for example, he's not good at anything apart from positioning and goal scoring. Bent is almost the same.

How effective will they be in the current PL? I'm not really sure. Things really changed. 

I think in a proper counter attack match we'll see Big Wes flourishing. Well, we do hope!

16 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Think Wes will be fine. It’s an adjustment is all. Some of his work in preseason was excellent. Just needs to make it happen in the Prem. Easier said than done, but the way we went about getting him, our scouts must have seen something in him.

He’ll come good, give him time.

Dib, Dib.

Â