Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

28 minutes ago, omariqy said:

As long as he gets between 8 and 12 goals and 5+ assists then that will be enough for us to stay up.

Maybe, that's probably about par I reckon yeah. More than happy for less if his performances lift.

5 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Seen enough of Wes to be confident he’ll be a huge success. Astounded people are writing him off so soon.

Hope so. Wouldn't say I'm that confident yet.

Desperate for him to score early tomorrow as I think you'd be looking at a different player if he had a jolt of confidence.

He'll have to be strong against Mina, big fella that guy.

• Like 1

I feel modern strikers shouldn’t be judge only on his scored, it’s overall contribution to the team that’s more important . If he can creat more assist / link up play better / draw defenders/ pick a thru pass & allow Trez/Mcggin/Grealish/Anwar etc to score maybe 8-12 goals each , that’s much better than having a just 20 goal striker & the whole front line is only tasked to only create & support the striker to score.

If a team play a system that’s fluid with 3-4 players as main goal threat , it will much harder to defense against , as compare to having only one main 20 striker as a goal threat. If he’s injured/red carded / suspension or sold, our goal threat is immediately down 60-70 %, like when Benteke left us.

Wesley seemed a less selfish more intelligent player who will pass to a better position teammate , unlike many old fashion no 9 that will tried their best to score themselves , for their personal glory sake or chasing golden boot to earn bigger contract or paycheck.

This system is of having a unit of attackers , rather than only one star no 9 , is much more sustainable in the long run, as it will be harder for rivals to buy the whole unit & even one or is sold , it’s easier & cheaper to replace. 

As long as Villa plays well & Wesley contribute in other ways , it’s ok even he doesn’t score.

Of course if he keeps missing easy tap ins , that’s a different story. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Just watched Dean's press conference. There's some sharks circling for him. Ready to write about underperforming I'm sure having never watched him I'm sure.

Unfortunately that comes with being in the premier league. 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Came with the championship too. Its how the press and general fan consensus works. 

I don’t agree about the “ general fan”. 

Every fan, at both games, that I chatted with, was happy, and more than ready to be patient. We applauded tgecTeam off after both games.

Had you said “:social media consensus” I’d have agreed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t agree about the “ general fan”. 

Every fan, at both games, that I chatted with, was happy, and more than ready to be patient. We applauded tgecTeam off after both games.

Had you said “:social media consensus” I’d have agreed.

Ok yeah probably more accurate. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe the nonsense already being spouted on this thread and others after two games.

We have just come up, we are playing well, everyone is settling in and acclimatising.

We were leading the Champions league finalists for 65minutes at their place; after conceding two flukey goals against Bournemouth rather than crumble we dominated a game and had over 22 shots at goal. We are second only to Man City in the Premier League for shots on goal to this point in the season. It will come, Wesley is young, he will show his quality, our scouts are not mugs, they have done their home work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Not disagreeing with you....but can you tell us what you are seeing to make you think that?

From what I have seen, I think there is much work to do....but not writing him off or saying he is beyond it.....must say, his expression is not filling me with hope, the whinging has to stop and the revenge( if that's the right word) needs to start.

It is far too early to judge, but its not the absence of goals, its the absence of some of the work that leads to goals that concerns me.

His first touch and movement are good, once he’s adjusted to the physicality of the league he’ll be fine. He just needs a goal to settle him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I've definitely noticed a step up in the amount of ignorant, superficial analysis since we got promoted.

if you analyse that statement you will see that it is statistically incorrect, then you might notice any step up is certainly not superficial since we got promoted.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I cannot believe the nonsense already being spouted on this thread and others after two games.

We have just come up, we are playing well, everyone is settling in and acclimatising.

We were leading the Champions league finalists for 65minutes at their place; after conceding two flukey goals against Bournemouth rather than crumble we dominated a game and had over 22 shots at goal. We are second only to Man City in the Premier League for shots on goal to this point in the season. It will come, Wesley is young, he will show his quality, our scouts are not mugs, they have done their home work.

What's the nonsense that's being said?

• Thanks 1

Bullish Dean Smith has fired back at critics slamming Aston Villa's club-record signing Wesley, declaring: "What are we coming to when we’re making judgements on players after two matches?"

The Brazilian has been in for some stick for his showings at Spurs and against Bournemouth last week and is yet to score. The 22-year-old's displays have drew criticism from the likes of ex-Villa striker Stan Collymore and Paul Ince, the latter telling BT Sport: "At least I could play the game!"

But Smith was in no mood to discuss such criticism labelled at his striker, telling reporters: "There's been questions about him playing in the Premier League, but he played in the Champions League last season, he’s not too shabby."

The capture from Club Brugge is yet to hit the ground running for Villa but, according to Smith, it's way too early to judge after difficult opening fixtures.

"He’s settled straight away," explained Smith, who snarled at such suggestions Wesley's struggling. "I can see that every day in training, he’s shown potential in his performances so far and that potential will come thorugh. He’s well liked by his peers in the dressing room which is one of the most important things.

"He showed me enough in pre-season to show me he’s going to be a top player. Firminho. Has he scored yet? Mo Salah’s got one, what are we coming to when we’re making judgements on players after two matches?"

When quizzed on how to get the very best out of the beastly Brazilian, Smith was quick to answer, saying: "I think we are getting the best out of him, he’ll get better and better as the season goes by.

"He hasn’t had an awful lot of chances so far, but I’ll probably name you 14 clubs’ centre-forwards who won’t get a chance at Tottenham in the first game of the season.

"The first game was tough, and we were 2-0 down after 15 minutes against Bournemouth but he showed enough and he never hides away from the ball, he goes and competes. He’s already created enough chances for for other people be scoring. We’ve played two games. He’ll get better and better.”

Wesley, who became a dad at just 15, was always on a mission to make it as a footballer and swapped the comforts of life back in Brazil for a crack in Europe with Slovakian outfit AS Trecin before really excelling at Club Brugge in Belgium, scoring 17 times while registering an impressive 10 assists in all competitions last term.

Smith added: "His English is very good, he understands more than he lets on, his grasp of the culture and language is very good. He left Brazil when he was 16 and went to Slovakia and then Belgium, so he knows Europe very well, he’s settled in well and he’s someone the players really like, he trains very well. He does a lot of unselfish work - look at his goals tally last season, but look at his assists as well."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-wesley-everton-smith-16801759

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Can't see much nonsense? Maybe some of the trolls round here? I've blocked a few now, don't know people keep giving them what they want.

Fairly measured discussion otherwise?

Â