Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Also, stats wise we’re 5th overall for crosses in the PL, behind Liverpool, Leicester, Burnley and Spurs. So I think it’s just a matter of time and tuning in to each other’s runs etc.

It’ll just take time, one goal (hopefully this weekend against Everton) and I think he’ll really kick off. 

PL Stats

5. Aston Villa    39 (crosses)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

The problem is not him actually, at least for me it isn't. It's the fact that we've put him in a position where he has to perform. We rely on him. That's a mistake by Dean. Maybe there was nothing he could do, I don't know.

I think Deano expected the majority of goals from our 5 man midfield, but that's me 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Or maybe he is bad at positioning.

Actually it's a point here and players still new to each other won't time runs and crosses well enough, so the positioning may often be off. But using that as a stick to beat Wesley is just utterly bizarre

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

He’s in desperate need of a dedicated striker coach. Would love to see Terry convince Drogba to come in and work with him for a month or two. Has the right physical ingredients but needs some specific Premier League coaching. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But using that as a stick to beat Wesley is just utterly bizarre

Edited 9 minutes ago by KenjiOgiwara

I don't i just don't see him as a natural goalscorer. At least not from what i've seen from him in Pre Season and these first 2 games.

• Like 1

I think Wesley shows with his cross to Trezeguet that he is more than capable of playing in the Premier League. That was really good work and a cool head in a key moment - deserved an assist.

He's also a victim of several of our midfielders having good long shots on them, so there were a few times when they (legitimately) took shots at goal, where Wesley was in the right position for a through ball.

Goalscorers come in a few different forms. He definitely isn't that fast predator type like Bent or Defoe who nips in behind or beats defenders to the low ball, and nor is he that Solskjaer / Kane / Fowler natural finisher type who always finds the corner. But I don't think we've really given him an opportunity to display his aerial prowess, and it could be that he scores enough goals with his head to justify his inclusion.

I'm reminded a bit of how long it took Didier Drogba to really find his goalscoring boots in the Premier League, while still doing a good job for Chelsea. He scored 10 goals, Frank Lampard was their top scorer, they won the league. I could see a similar dynamic playing out with John McGinn as top scorer, Wesley getting a respectable tally, and a decent spread of goals from all the other midfielders.

Not losing faith yet.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yet I can't remember a single chance or cross landing at Wesley's head. How shit is our crossing? 

Someone made the point before (I can’t remember who sorry) that are crosses are just too far from the 6 yard box and too high for anyone to get any real purchase on a header if they get there. It’s all well and good getting the crosses in but unless they’re closer to the 6 yard box and a bit lower then they’re not going to result in much more than a tame header over or floating into the keeper’s hands. 

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Also, stats wise we’re 5th overall for crosses in the PL, behind Liverpool, Leicester, Burnley and Spurs. So I think it’s just a matter of time and tuning in to each other’s runs etc.

It’ll just take time, one goal (hopefully this weekend against Everton) and I think he’ll really kick off. 

PL Stats

What's the point of putting crosses in when we have no one on the end of them? We need to stop this fascination with crosses we are a very different team to last year and Wesley needs it at his feet with his back to goal not some floaty cross going nowhere!

5 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

He’s in desperate need of a dedicated striker coach. Would love to see Terry convince Drogba to come in and work with him for a month or two. Has the right physical ingredients but needs some specific Premier League coaching. 

He's not the same type of striker as Drogba, dare I say it but he'd be better off with Heskey coaching him same sort of player who will probably score a similar amount of goals.

• Haha 1

Oh lord i don't think i could stand another Heskey type!

It was like putting a blanket over our forward line when Heskey arrived. We literally went from being in the top 4 and scoring for fun to ending up in 6th & struggling to score.

As for the above comments which pose the question is it poor crossing or poor positioning as to why we are not converting the 5th highest number of crosses in the division i'd say it's a bit of both from what i've seen. Loads of really poor quality crosses with the occasional better one which is usually not reached for whatever reason. Whether that is down to poor positioning or whatever i'm still trying to work out

Can't remember which website it was but someone did a really good analysis of wesley's strengths when we signed him, and it wasn't headers!

He's very good at dropping deep, retaining posession, spreading the ball wide, sprinting into the box, pulling front post defender out of position before nipping in front to finish a low front post cross.

It's all about timing and having a winger or full back able to beat his man. It'll come.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can't believe he hasn't scored in 2 games in a new team including away to CL finalists where we backed off trying to hang on to a 1-0 lead or against Bournemouth who parked the bus after 2 soft goals conceded in 10 mins. What a flop!!!!

Does seem ridiculous doesn’t it.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can't believe he hasn't scored in 2 games in a new team including away to CL finalists where we backed off trying to hang on to a 1-0 lead or against Bournemouth who parked the bus after 2 soft goals conceded in 10 mins. What a flop!!!!

Goals wise it's not too worrying as you say. 

For me its the fact he is making around 8 passes in 90 mins and people are saying he holds it up well and is good at bringing others into the game. 

If he isn't looking like scoring then this part of his game needs to be brilliant and it's pretty abysmal. 

I'm hoping it improves Friday. I feel sorry for him as our recruitment has put serious pressure on him.

• Like 2

I still have memories of Rudy Gestede and Libor Kozak......so I will give no predictions.

I am hoping its all about settling in and that he will not resemble those players.

However, We know the type of player he is likely to be, his stature will largely dictate that......That's what he needs to show us....He needs to attack the ball both aerially and on the floor and out muscle defenders.

Â