Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

His first touch and movement are good, once he’s adjusted to the physicality of the league he’ll be fine. He just needs a goal to settle him.

They said that about Hogan & Gabby.....I think he has looked Raw.

But I am hoping he comes good.

I am only commenting on what I see, not what I am hoping he will be.

• Like 1

the modern game is all about he "now"

no matter what club, your striker is expected to score goals,hit the ground running, deliver.

i think the £22m price tag might weigh on the players mind ,if you need a hold up player, davis is on the books,thats his game,

• Like 1

He isn't coming under this scrutiny from pundits and fans because he hasn't scored in 2 games. He is coming under this scrutiny because his performances have been poor and the whole world knows that all the pressure is on him due to our summer recruitment. 

I'm glad smith is sticking up for him but in a way being so defensive puts more attention on him. 

Be interesting to see how he reacts tonight. I'm hoping for an improvement. Would be great to get a scrappy goal. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He isn't coming under this scrutiny from pundits and fans because he hasn't scored in 2 games. He is coming under this scrutiny because his performances have been poor and the whole world knows that all the pressure is on him due to our summer recruitment. 

I'm glad smith is sticking up for him but in a way being so defensive puts more attention on him. 

Be interesting to see how he reacts tonight. I'm hoping for an improvement. Would be great to get a scrappy goal. 

This is debatable though. Many fans think he has done ok including me. Redknapp singled him out as a 22m pound striker after the Spurs game.

If it was had 2 shockers and it was universally agreed he looks poor id probably understand there criticism a bit more. 

I’ve seen a lot of potential in the 2 games he’s played. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is debatable though. Many fans think he has done ok including me. Redknapp singled him out as a 22m pound striker after the Spurs game.

If it was had 2 shockers and it was universally agreed he looks poor id probably understand there criticism a bit more. 

It is debatable. 

His passing stats have been poor though and if he isn't scoring or getting in scoring positions, they need to be much better. 

There is definitely potential I just worry that because we have put all our eggs in his basket, its unfair on him as we wait for that potential to turn into consistent performances.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It is debatable. 

His passing stats have been poor though and if he isn't scoring or getting in scoring positions, they need to be much better. 

There is definitely potential I just worry that because we have put all our eggs in his basket, its unfair on him as we wait for that potential to turn into consistent performances.  

That is true. I don’t know if we ever in for Maupay but I think it would have been a sensible signing considering the circumstances.  Maybe 20m was too much after what we had already spent. 

16 hours ago, Digavilla said:

I feel modern strikers shouldn’t be judge only on his scored, it’s overall contribution to the team that’s more important . If he can creat more assist / link up play better / draw defenders/ pick a thru pass & allow Trez/Mcggin/Grealish/Anwar etc to score maybe 8-12 goals each , that’s much better than having a just 20 goal striker & the whole front line is only tasked to only create & support the striker to score.

If a team play a system that’s fluid with 3-4 players as main goal threat , it will much harder to defense against , as compare to having only one main 20 striker as a goal threat. If he’s injured/red carded / suspension or sold, our goal threat is immediately down 60-70 %, like when Benteke left us.

Wesley seemed a less selfish more intelligent player who will pass to a better position teammate , unlike many old fashion no 9 that will tried their best to score themselves , for their personal glory sake or chasing golden boot to earn bigger contract or paycheck.

This system is of having a unit of attackers , rather than only one star no 9 , is much more sustainable in the long run, as it will be harder for rivals to buy the whole unit & even one or is sold , it’s easier & cheaper to replace. 

As long as Villa plays well & Wesley contribute in other ways , it’s ok even he doesn’t score.

Of course if he keeps missing easy tap ins , that’s a different story. 

I think your overall point is most valid.....its been said by prominent managers, that teams score goals......Norwich are a good example, albeit they have a good finisher in Pukki.

Its all true what you say, but I ask you to watch the individual battles on the park our players must win more than they lose, that way we gain territory and press......Wes must try and dominate his centre halves, not just get bullied by them, his first touch must be good, not let the ball bounce yards away from him, he must be aware of challenges and turn them in to his own advantage, he must pick out players with aplomb.

It is all about stuff that is not just scoring, as long as we report that stuff accurately.....We all want him to succeed and the pace of the play might be a eluding him at present......but all those little things that lead up to scoring goals must be accomplished.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Spot on.....We all want him to do well.

If he has a good performance tonight and doesn't score, I will be happy.......even happier if he scores.

He has to show competence with the attributes that lead up to scoring goals......He needs show more combative spirit in challenging the centre backs and look like he is enjoying the battle, not whinging about it.....Referee's will soon pick up on a whinger and end up giving you nothing, must show more bravery like centre forwards of the past.....He is probably more like a raw Milosevic.

6 hours ago, hippo said:

What difference do your coaching badges make ?

some of us must have wasted 40 years of entrance money.

For me.....coaches coach.....scouts ,scout.

Some fans are very discerning spectators, who have been watching the game all their adult life and know the game from watching, very,very well....They are not scouts or coaches, but understand what is going/ not going on ,on the pitch.....some of course like coaches and scouts are better than others.

Who knows more about Trains, a Train spotter or a Station Master?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

He looks isolated , but should have had an assist for the Trez chance , he stuck it on a plate for him tbh and the block was great defending. Such a fine line with players and strikers especially but he hasn't had many chances himself which is a concern but that not just his fault.

If we get a penalty, he should take it.

14 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

His first touch and movement are good, once he’s adjusted to the physicality of the league he’ll be fine. He just needs a goal to settle him.

I think his first touch has been a bit hit and miss and his movement is iffy......I agree totally on his physicality, but personally i could extend that to a few more of our players, I think its been an issue for me for some time, I trust not many will agree.

I could almost pick out our players who I will have no issue with tonight.....Mings,McGinn, Engels......need to see more of LuIz and Jack has got much better, but adjusting for me at present.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think his first touch has been a bit hit and miss and his movement is iffy......I agree totally on his physicality, but personally i could extend that to a few more of our players, I think its been an issue for me for some time, I trust not many will agree.

I could almost pick out our players who I will have no issue with tonight.....Mings,McGinn, Engels......need to see more of LuIz and Jack has got much better, but adjusting for me at present.

This, Id say.

Id not judge him for half a dozen or so games purely for this reason if nothing else.

Just now, terrytini said:

This, Id say.

Id not judge him for half a dozen or so games purely for this reason if nothing else.

But if I was forced into this trend of early assessments, I’ll put my claret specs on and make one.

I think he’s going to be an absolute powerhouse. 

Now I will go somewhere quiet and admonish myself for giving in to premature judgment 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

some of us must have wasted 40 years of entrance money.

For me.....coaches coach.....scouts ,scout.

Some fans are very discerning spectators, who have been watching the game all their adult and know the game from watching, very,very well....They are not scouts or coaches, but understand what is going/ not going on ,on the pitch.....some of course like coaches and scouts are better than others.

Who knows more about Trains, a Train spotter or a Station Master?

OT but I for one have to watch each game least twice on TV to add to what I see live. And even then I read Posts on here with views about things I’ve not noticed. As regards players potential, their contributions, strengths and weaknesses, etc, I’m very slow to discern the picture.

I was a decent footballer, and I like to think I make a good spectator, but I’m a poor analyst.....maybe why I refrain from doing much of it.

In short, like much in life, you either got it or you ain’t...sometimes the train expert will be the Station Master, others the trainspotter, others the passenger, others the guy who’s only ever read Thomas The Tank.

Choo- chooo !!

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I could almost pick out our players who I will have no issue with tonight.....Mings,McGinn, Engels......

Hallelujah! 🙂

Its a start....let’s hope you can add a couple more by 10 pm mate...

Â