Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was referring more to social media which he's most likely to see. It's been nothing but abuse on there. Even on VT, he barely got 10 games before the "I despise him", "worst player I've seen for Villa", "he's a donkey" etc started coming out. It really sucks that a 22 year old, coming to a new league and country can't even get a few months grace period.

Well said, not often we agree but on this we do!! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I think people forget he's 22 at times and just where his career started. He's not where we want him to be but there is absolutely potential to develop there.

I don’t think anyone forgets these things tbf. Some however wonder why our sole striker is a 23 year old (NB correct age) who needs lots of development support.

That's all.

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I don’t think anyone forgets these things tbf. Some however wonder why our sole striker is a 23 year old (NB correct age) who needs lots of development support.

That's all.

That's the club's fault not Wesley's. No excuse for the abuse for the young lad.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was referring more to social media which he's most likely to see. It's been nothing but abuse on there. Even on VT, he barely got 10 games before the "I despise him", "worst player I've seen for Villa", "he's a donkey" etc started coming out. It really sucks that a 22 year old, coming to a new league and country can't even get a few months grace period.

I agree. 

But then that's social media and the world we live in, which is a completely different discussion. As a new player, he has had lots of support from fans at the ground and many more. You're talking about a handful of people going extreme. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree. 

But then that's social media and the world we live in, which is a completely different discussion. As a new player, he has had lots of support from fans at the ground and many more. You're talking about a handful of people going extreme. 

It must be a very large ✋

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate personal abuse on social media  towards footballers just before they are crap or playing poorly.   I bet it doesn’t happen in any other sport. 

I think a lot of it is due to the obscene wages footballers earn. Tbh I doubt any of them give social media comments a second thought. I imagine they just look at their bank balance and chuckle.

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate personal abuse on social media  towards footballers just because they are crap or playing poorly.   I bet it doesn’t happen in any other sport. 

It happens with everyone on there, famous or not, a sportsman or now. If you've got a big following, or even if you've just said something that's disagreed with you'll get undeserved abuse.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I follow some NHL and Cricket pages online and while players do get abuse the odd time you never hear some of the horrible things footballers get. 

Cricket gets very nasty, especially in countries where cricket is more of a mainstream sport. But tends to be targeted at opposition players.

Think the issue with football is that there are only two stats everyone appreciates: goals and assists. Maybe goals conceded / clean sheets as well. Everything else is very poorly understood by your average fan, so it’s easy to just turn on a player.

In cricket it’s much easier to measure the difference between different players’ contributions. So the debate is more about fine margins. No cricket fan seriously thinks a batsman with a 40+ average is crap, but they might think he’s overrated or too loose or whatever.

But the equivalent level of player in football can easily be regarded as a completely useless waste of space by lots of fans, because he plays in a position where he doesn’t stack up goals and assists.

If you are looking at perspective on expectation, and why fans ire is unfair and misdirected, imagine a big name premier league club with the very very wealthy and ambitious owners solely pinning the hopes of their season and premier league survival on a single 22 year old player from another league and country, who wasn’t known for his prolific goal record.

Oh, and backed up by another 22 y.o. not deemed good enough for the championship and an over the hill has been who wants out of the club.
Smacks of poor management and strategy doesn’t it, and what pressure it’s subsequently put on him and the team generally.

Wesley’s played because he’s had to. I also don’t think that he would be playing if he couldn’t follow instruction or persisted in ignoring instruction i.e. he is doing what the management want. From what I’ve seen, the team are not playing to him not him failing to play to the,. He is actually pretty sharp on the turn and has put away some clinical finishes, the problem seems to be supply. With Benteke, the whole philosophy was to get the ball to him and we successfully exploited that, this isn’t happening with Wesley.

Edited by thunderball

He looked so much better at Burnley when we went to 3 at the back, there is never a good time to pick up an injury but bloody hell the timing was awful. I think he would have done really well over the second half of the season in this formation. 

Get well soon big man. 

On 15/01/2020 at 18:56, Keyblade said:

I think you're making stuff up there. He got a lot of patience. Wasn't until later before the knives were out.  

Personally I think he's crap and will never make it, but if he proves me wrong... superb. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think you're making stuff up there. He got a lot of patience. Wasn't until later before the knives were out.  

Personally I think he's crap and will never make it, but if he proves me wrong... superb. 

I mean this thread is public record, but sure I guess. 

Literally after our 11th game away at Man City:

• Thanks 1

Â