Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

30 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Eh, we've done this before with Wes. He has a great game, we think this is the point where he finallys kicks off, then continues to have many mediocre games to follow.

No one can make definite predictions on how the rest of his season could've gone but tbh, I'm not as optimistic as others despite his last game for us. I think we should, in all honesty be able to find a striker who could at least replace what Wes would've most likely brought for us for the rest of the season based on his performances of the first half of the season.

I'll be surprised if the person who plays the majority of the final games for us doesn't have a better average in: goals per game, assists per game, shots per game and passes per game than Wesley. 

Very surprised. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'll be surprised if the person who plays the majority of the final games for us doesn't have a better average in: goals per game, assists per game, shots per game and passes per game than Wesley. 

Very surprised. 

I agree with this (although not sure "passes per game" means much).

But I also think Wesley has a future at Villa.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree with this (although not sure "passes per game" means much).

But I also think Wesley has a future at Villa.

I think it's good to have a striker who can be involved in the build up of attacks and keeps the ball well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's good to have a striker who can be involved in the build up of attacks and keeps the ball well. 

There's a stat which somewhat tracks how much a player is involved in buildup play that's called xGBuildup90. Wesley is average for his position on that. Keep in mind that it specifically doesn't include stuff like key passes and shots, because it aims to track the buildup play that happens prior to that.

https://understat.com/player/7724

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yes but I don’t think passes per game is a good measure of that. It’s more a measure of how much possession his midfielders and defenders are giving him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yes but I don’t think passes per game is a good measure of that. It’s more a measure of how much possession his midfielders and defenders are giving him.

I don't want our CF to be our play making maestro. I just am confident that our new striker will improve on most of the stats that wesley has produced. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Very surprised. 

I would, our track record of signing strikers lately has been terrible.

Kodjia (though did well initially), McCormack, Hogan, Wes (though I see potential). Probably what, £65m worth of strikers there! We pretty much haven't had a successful striker since Benteke. Kinda crazy. 

Edited by PieFacE

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I would, our track record of signing strikers lately has been terrible.

Kodjia (though did well initially), McCormack, Hogan, Wes (though I see potential). Probably what, £65m worth of strikers there! We pretty much haven't had a successful striker since Benteke. Kinda crazy. 

Very true. But to be honest the bar has been set quite low over 21 games. If we can't get a player who can do better than wes has we will be in real trouble. 

We were 100% signing a striker this window before the injury. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

The only good news about injury suffered by both Wes and Heaton is that many famous players have had these injuries and came  back stronger.Ruud van Nistelrooy and Alan Shearer both had this quite early in their careers and 90 % recover successfully.

Guessing it will be easier for Wesley, at 23, to recover than Heaton?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Guessing it will be easier for Wesley, at 23, to recover than Heaton?

It’s true that Heatons age will make it more difficult for him but you could say a goalkeepers knees is not going to have to withstand the kind tackles that Wes is going to face when he returns.

Zlatan had this injury when he was at Manu and seems to have recovered ok but comparing any other player to him is probably a mistake.

Sad news but is Smith partly to blame for overplaying him. Bad tackle I know. Bar is set quite low though so shouldn’t be a massive loss to the team. Heaton is a massive loss though. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 02/01/2020 at 19:51, A'Villan said:

Money doesn't buy ligament repair though. Only the best physios and sports doctors.

At the end of the day ACL injuries are only made worse by repetitive strain, something professional athletes are prime candidates for.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Sad news but is Smith partly to blame for overplaying him. Bad tackle I know. Bar is set quite low though so shouldn’t be a massive loss to the team. Heaton is a massive loss though. 

You think Mee would have bounced off him if he was a bit fresher do you? Smith has no part to blame in the injury.

He should have dropped him for his performances though.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes Smith is completely to blame for picking him to play in a game where the reckless Mee was planning to end somebody's career with a stupid challenge.

Jesus wept, are you for real?😜

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He does this very well though. It's his major strength in my eyes.

He definitely falls over too much, but that's a different issue.

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

He does this very well though. It's his major strength in my eyes.

He definitely falls over too much, but that's a different issue.

At times he has. Most of the time I think he's very average at it. 

• Like 1

Â