Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean this thread is public record, but sure I guess. 

Literally after our 11th game away at Man City:

I think he's been terrible overall, and looked like he can't control the ball for much of his time on the pitch as hard as he worked.

The decision to have him as our only striker alongside fringe options of Kodj and Davis is going to catch up and relegate us.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he's been terrible overall, and looked like he can't control the ball for much of his time on the pitch as much as he tried.

The decision to have him as our only striker alongside fringe options of Kodj and Davis is going to catch up and relegate us.

The positivity after Tuesday lasted long. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The positivity after Tuesday lasted long. 

It'll be a miracle if we stay up.

And we pretty much got one with that flick off an upside down rotating Mings.

Hopefully a change in fortunes!

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I never realised how many fouls Wes committed

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/fouls

I think a lot of these were very harsh. He’s a massive unit who sends people flying, often legitimately. Often while they’re fouling him. He was poorly refereed because he was seen as a crap player who it was easy to penalise without taking flak from the fans and pundits.

Notice how Grealish got a much better deal from refs when all the neutrals started bigging him up for Euro 2020 - especially after the Palace decision.

Referees want to be liked. If Wesley becomes a fan favourite, the decisions at Villa Park will go his way. It’s just how football works. He needs to learn how to smile at the ref and do the innocent face when he’s knocking the life out of someone - Nakamba is good at that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won 3 and draw 1 of last 6 games and 3 of them were without a striker. It really doesn’t need a miracle. 

Exactly! 10 points from 18, 50% win rate, no striker, 16th in the league and probably not playing at our best.....but yeah we need a miracle apparently.  I just don’t understand the constant negativity from some.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won 3 and draw 1 of last 6 games and 3 of them were without a striker. It really doesn’t need a miracle. 

We've played 24 out of 38 games with no PL striker. It'll be a miracle in my eyes sir.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean this thread is public record, but sure I guess. 

Literally after our 11th game away at Man City:

But that wasn't the general attitude towards him. You will always find extremes. Most people stuck by him longer than he probably deserved. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Maybe the miracle refers to the fact we have largely more difficult games remaining than "easier" ones?

Our remaining fixtures don't look pretty, but not sure it's quite miracle level.  There's plenty of other dross in the bottom half of this league, and none of them have Grealish.

On topic Edit: would have been interesting to see how he'd have pushed on with our new formation,  but I think he'd had ample game time to show more than he has. Goal return was acceptable, but general contribution was lacking for me. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Exactly! 10 points from 18, 50% win rate, no striker, 16th in the league and probably not playing at our best.....but yeah we need a miracle apparently.  I just don’t understand the constant negativity from some.

It's only the same four or five posters who are relentless with it. I have stopped trying to point out the obvious flaws in the argument as I see it - after all, maybe they will be right! But let's all hope not. In the meantime let's book a trip to Wembley on Tuesday :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Our remaining fixtures don't look pretty, but not sure it's quite miracle level.  There's plenty of other dross in the bottom half of this league, and none of them have Grealish.

Most of the "top" teams have to come to Villa Park. Are you afraid of Spurs Chelsea Arsenal Manure in the form they've been in? I'm not

• Like 2

On 23/01/2020 at 19:53, Adam2003 said:

It's only the same four or five posters who are relentless with it. I have stopped trying to point out the obvious flaws in the argument as I see it - after all, maybe they will be right! But let's all hope not. In the meantime let's book a trip to Wembley on Tuesday :)

To be fair it isnt that hard to convince people on VT. I was slowly convincing people that mcginn needed to be dropped/rested before he got injured. But yeah so 4 or 5 people constantly slinging shit turned probably 80-90% of the posters in this thread against wesley. 

On 23/01/2020 at 23:15, VillanousOne said:

i came to this thread thinking there was any very early news on the extent of his injury only to find people still bickering about his ability.

so just to weigh in, he scored some important goals but never suited a one striker system, i've not seen enough to think he was a worthwhile signing for the fee involved, but haven't see enough bad to think he was a disaster either. 

i hope he comes back stronger.

I think he would have been better had el ghazi been more consistent. El ghazi has got a goal and assist one game after another and had done the same during the first 10 games of the season. He was on 2 goals 3 assists after 10 games and stayed on that until the United game. 

Â