Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

He was improved, but not saying a lot. my concern is that he's anonymous for 2-3 games, plays better, everyone argues and moans at those 'writing him off', next game he's crap again and the cycle continues. i'd like to see a spell of games where we see consistent work rate from him

Actually this was one of his better matches for us. Can't fault his work-rate, it's just too bad he's not a more natural finisher. The problem is however, we don't have time to wait for him to come good. 

• Like 2

Same amount of goals as Firmino and 2 less than Salah. We're =7th for goals scored so maybe he's opening up the game for other people. The criticism is over the top because we're conceding silly goals. If we hold on to win Arsenal and Liverpool game were 5th in the league. Are those results Wesley's fault?!?

• Like 2

No not his fault, but if we had a better CF I know we’d be in the top half of the league - is the fact we are =7th in goals scored because of Wesley or despite him?

He is definitely trying but it’s clear that he is not yet good enough and likely won’t improve quickly enough and so needs replacing 

58 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

He was improved, but not saying a lot. my concern is that he's anonymous for 2-3 games, plays better, everyone argues and moans at those 'writing him off', next game he's crap again and the cycle continues. i'd like to see a spell of games where we see consistent work rate from him

Work rate not usually an issue, which is good.

Only consistent thing about his game.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We create a lot of chances, yes, but we don't create that many chances for Wesley. He's often used as a decoy runner or a shield.

He literally had two superb chances last night. One was a straight up tap in, the other one he just had to slide for a splendid pass. 

He didn't score on any of them. 

He can act as a pivot to the attack but that is relient on the wingers coming forward more and helping him. He doesn't really seem to be the out and out striker that we need if we are to play just one up front. But he is young and learning in a tough league and I can't fault his workrate last night,

I don't understand all the criticism. He should have scored, but I felt he did ok up against 3 centre backs. He held the ball up when he needed and made unselfish runs and worked hard. 

Are Villa realistically going to have a striker that scores more often than Wesley has so far this season? I don't think so if I am being honest. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Actually this was one of his better matches for us. Can't fault his work-rate, it's just too bad he's not a more natural finisher. The problem is however, we don't have time to wait for him to come good. 

If he had scored that goal would he have been labeled a "Good finisher" yesterday?

The irony is a couple of the goals he has scored for us were almost exactly the same as the sitter he missed yesterday, it was also a good save.

Those deft touch and goals seem to be his style.

Even the best strikers miss sitters at times.

Aside from that, the commentators were actually very complimentary of him in comparison to Joelington.

They think he is more mobile and does hard work people don't see which allows other players space.

Criticising him on the board is fine, but it's been very disheartening for me to read social Media posts on Facebook and Twitter basically "He is shit" "Worst player to ever wear the shirt" etc.

This isn't productive in anyway, even if we are supposed to squeeze something out of him none of that is helping.

It will only make him even MORE scared to try anything.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He played well yesterday. Even the ‘tap in’ was a little unlucky. He opened his foot up but keeper gambled well and got lucky, yes he still should have scored but as Smith said he occupied 3 CB’s and our wide players and midfield were finding space for fun. Whilst we are as a team scoring a lot of goals I’m not blaming Wesley only scoring 4 so far..

• Like 1

Haven't read through the thread but I thought he was very good on the whole. Missing that chance is what let him down and whether he's an out and out goalscorer or not he absolutely has to be putting them away, and generally he needs to be getting into those positions more often. Otherwise he did more of what his specialty is meant to be and linked the play well and just flat out got more involved than we've seen him do in a lot of games. Also used his physicality better and actually bullied the defenders about on many occasions.

I wish we could have Scott Hogan back for the next two games.

Not because he's good.

Just to show the fans what an ineffectual striker actually looks like.

Wesley does far more than he's given credit for, he was drawing 2 centre backs towards him at times which allowed the midfield the space and freedom to play. His hold up play needs to improved and I don't think it was his best performance but he did enough to cause them problems. If he had of finished his chance at the end of the game we would most likely be calling it a good performance. The chance was actually not as easy as it looked, the pace on the ball and the close proximity to the goal didn't really allow him to place his shot, the keeper pulled off a decent save. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If he had scored that goal would he have been labeled a "Good finisher" yesterday?

If he would score those type of goals regularly, he'd be a good finisher. As it stands, he misses a lot of "big chances", which is why I'm inclined to say he's not a natural finisher. He might develop given time, but I doubt he'll ever become a clinical finisher. 

He is marmite isn't he.  Proper splits the fans opinion of him.  I've been pretty critical of him since he's arrived and thought he has been woeful at times, but I do get the argument that he does contribute by occupying defenders.  I think it's fair to say that those who are criticizing him, want to see a little more from him.  Fair enough he missed chances yesterday, but i think he needs to be in and around the box more.  He needs to be taking more and more shots to goal.  I have no idea what his stats are but can only presume he hasn't had much shots on goals, if that is true then his goal conversion may not be that bad.  The one he missed yesterday when he side footed the shot and was saved, that was almost a trademark Wesley goal but he was unfortunate not get either side of the GK. 

Something tells me we should stick with him as he'll come good...but he is increasingly frustrating to watch.  Hope he kicks on though.  i was hoping Kodjia would come on yesterday, last time i wanted that to happen we played even worse.  I guess Kodjia deserves a couple of minutes on the pitch here and there to try and stake his claim.

12 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah he's kinda playing like he's part of a front 2 and is expecting his partner to take up the central position that he leaves empty when he drops deep or wide.

Wasn't his worst game by far but he needs to try and win the ball rather than the free kick.

The thing is that generally mcginn would occupy. That space today he sat deeper which led to us playing better so el ghazi occupied it and if mcginn and grealish played him in earlier he could have had 4 or 5 one on one's.

The Newcastle defenders couldn't handle him for most of the game. There were 2 parts where he flopped a bit but I think both of them were fouls as it looked like their centre half had his arm in his lock and it wasn't given.

The problem is people are expecting him to be Benteke and the things is no one scores more than 15 goals if you are outside the top 6 unless you are Benteke, lukaku, or vardy. Wesley isn't going to score 20 goals he will probably finish with around 12 with 4 or 5 assists. That is enough mcginn will probably get 7 or 8 grealish the same conor will get 9 or 10. We score lots of goals and whilst wesley didn't contribute to our set piece goals today he was very good and aggressive and was a handful. He did miss a sitter but I think he made the right choice with his shot. Most of the time the keeper goes back post there and that is an easy finish. The keeper didn't go and he got an easy save that was great anticipation by the keeper but on a different day would have been a goal. I'm not really sure what the villa fans wanted him to do it there. Try and roof it and look like torres or hit it across goals and if it goes wide or hits the post look like a muppet he made the right call but so did the keeper. 

12 hours ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

I am does understand what he did to us, did great job tonight

but how many we cross in box and pass into box and Wesley no-where ((as he was too deep or too far side)) when most of the striker will strive this chance to finisher or make half-chance in right position to do it.... this was my criticism about him all so far season.

El Ghazi Running in the box was correct, and Wesley was running same path as him when he should do back off let El Ghazi and move better position to other side rather following him to box he would goal when El Ghazi missed chance when he should poacher this chance, he is poor on this.. he should running other side and ready tap, Wesley like play to near post but not enough speed to dart to finish off that why he was easy to defend as lack of the boost acceleration ... he is need awareness which he is lack inside the box. 

His attack to ball for header is terrible and poor at it, he rather let over his head and let other player when Striker would love this chance to header to goal.. that why i keep criticism him.

Different story when Wesley was outside of box his awareness and hold ball is great but Davis was better this job, yet his pass and killer pass, and vision is better than Davis in outside box, and position is good to bring other player that what i like about him but he should be do same job yet with dart and running toward box in HIGH SPEED he will very valuable and good striker yet he often do this Hold ball and jog or walk to outside and watch, hope his build up is help and running to box when he suppose or need and too late..

What happen His Everton performance? he is brilliant running behind man, and quick move to finisher, good feet control. I didnt see this way since Everton? WHY? and WHAT make him stop do this way? might he didn't mean to do this way that revert to his way? would love ask Sherlock about this ! 

that why I HATE him to do these he playing since opening games, but i can see that he got good talent and big future, even we need desperate to bring better striker than him, we should go maupay over Moraes unlucky.

I think our DOF is pick wesley over Maupay and Smith prefer Maupay but price long term wesley was favour I think might i am wrong about this.

Change his way and will win us and prove us wrong about him, that i will happy to see his name line up.... he is got 1 half to 2 months to proof to us or replacement will on way take off his name off in first 11.

Regarding the headers our crosses are generally very poor they are floaty and very high which either make it impossible to head or make it so if you do win it you can't get power on it. Our low balls have been very good though and have resulted in us scoring quite a few goal. And whilst wesley needs to run the front post more often the rest of our attackers need to gamble more we are a reactive side waiting for the ball to be played before we make our runs there were one or 2 crying out for a front post run but wesley can't be doing that every single time or it gets easy to read so someone else needs to do it. I think both him and el ghazi were brilliant yesterday and I am getting really annoyed at the criticism levied at them.

People will say oh what a low bar he has set but you can impact the game without scoring or getting an assist and our passing was so much better today because he was deeper and was an option for our midfield. 

12 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Give it a rest. You really haven’t a clue...

Could you write an analysis on wesley to help shut everyone up about how shit he has been. Or maybe it might prove them right but seriously people keep saying he is a donkey and is basically Hogan and that really annoys me. 

28 minutes ago, vreitti said:

If he would score those type of goals regularly, he'd be a good finisher. As it stands, he misses a lot of "big chances", which is why I'm inclined to say he's not a natural finisher. He might develop given time, but I doubt he'll ever become a clinical finisher. 

Is Tammy a good finisher because he has missed 9 big chances and Wesley has missed 4. What about vardy and his 9 or aguero and his 7 or even auba with 5 and mane with 8. Kane is the best finisher in England and has missed 1 big chance everyone else above wesley has missed more than him except for ings. Jiminez apparently missed only 2 but since he fluffed 4 easy chances against us I think that should be a bit higher.

Players miss big chances. Messi misses penalties Ronaldo is shit at free kicks. You can't be perfect and 95% of strikers will miss sitters aguero missed 2 against Liverpool but is he shit?

Â