Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

The thing is that generally mcginn would occupy. That space today he sat deeper which led to us playing better so el ghazi occupied it and if mcginn and grealish played him in earlier he could have had 4 or 5 one on one's.

Yeah McGinn is usually very good at following up and exploiting the space left in the middle. He wasn't yesterday.

Fwiw Whoscored had Wesley and McGinn as our 2 worst players against Newcastle with a score of 6.88 and 7.19

6.88 is still not a bad score and a bit higher than Wesley's season average of 6.77 that also isn't terrible.

Had McGinn played to his usual level he might have exploited the space Wesley tried to create better and we'd scored a couple more goals.

One thing thou is that this was probably as ideal an opponent as we can hope to face. They allowed our preferred players to have the ball in the areas we prefer to have the ball and only really pressed us for 10 minutes at the start of the second half. Our attacking players were allowed (as in Newcastle were not good enough to prevent it) to have the ball faced the goal and make lots of runs into the area. This will not be the case against most other teams so Wesley will be expected to do more on his own.

54 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Can you give me a single example of abuse?

Nah.

I'll give you more than 1.

All from the Ratings and Reactions thread.

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Wes was shit. He's a **** passenger and replacing him has to be the priority in Jan.

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Wesley is useless, Mings and McGinn poor today.

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wesley is f****** dreadful. We’re winning games in spite of him. I genuinely think we’d be 5/6 points better off with a decent striker.

12 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Conor MOT, Jack makes so much difference and Wesky is crap. But happy days 

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Nice to win games playing without a striker

But this is one of my favourites

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Wesley absolute shite again.

😉

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Is Tammy a good finisher because he has missed 9 big chances and Wesley has missed 4. What about vardy and his 9 or aguero and his 7 or even auba with 5 and mane with 8. Kane is the best finisher in England and has missed 1 big chance everyone else above wesley has missed more than him except for ings. Jiminez apparently missed only 2 but since he fluffed 4 easy chances against us I think that should be a bit higher.

Players miss big chances. Messi misses penalties Ronaldo is shit at free kicks. You can't be perfect and 95% of strikers will miss sitters aguero missed 2 against Liverpool but is he shit?

Tammy certainly isn't a good finisher, the amount of chances he gets (and misses)... the others well they've proved it over the years. 

And I'm not saying Wesley is shit, simply that he isn't a natural finisher, and I doubt he'll ever become... just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah McGinn is usually very good at following up and exploiting the space left in the middle. He wasn't yesterday.

Fwiw Whoscored had Wesley and McGinn as our 2 worst players against Newcastle with a score of 6.88 and 7.19

6.88 is still not a bad score and a bit higher than Wesley's season average of 6.77 that also isn't terrible.

Had McGinn played to his usual level he might have exploited the space Wesley tried to create better and we'd scored a couple more goals.

One thing thou is that this was probably as ideal an opponent as we can hope to face. They allowed our preferred players to have the ball in the areas we prefer to have the ball and only really pressed us for 10 minutes at the start of the second half. Our attacking players were allowed (as in Newcastle were not good enough to prevent it) to have the ball faced the goal and make lots of runs into the area. This will not be the case against most other teams so Wesley will be expected to do more on his own.

Remember wesley had a booking which will lower his rating by a few points o in reality he probably played a 7.3 or 4 games. 

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Tammy certainly isn't a good finisher, the amount of chances he gets (and misses)... the others well they've proved it over the years. 

And I'm not saying Wesley is shit, simply that he isn't a natural finisher, and I doubt he'll ever become... just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

His goals have all been natural finishes I just think he is still far behind others on his development curve. Give him 2 or 3 years and I think he will dominate the prem as he will be too big to handle and will have his finishing, passing and dribbling down pat. Right now he is basically a 16 year old as he is 8 years behind Davis who has been playing in a competitive setting since he was 8. They both could be very good it is just wesley is a diamond in the rough and anything he does in the prem shows his natural ability. 

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Nah.

😉

Lets not be a bunch of snowflakes here Oz.  These are performance based feedbacks in a performance dependant industry. It does not constitute abuse. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Remember wesley had a booking which will lower his rating by a few points o in reality he probably played a 7.3 or 4 games. 

Yeah that lower his score a bit, not sure how much but I'm sure it's a little, maybe 0.2 or even 0.3

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lets not be a bunch of snowflakes here Oz.  These are performance based feedbacks in a performance dependant industry. It does not constitute abuse. 

Yeah you are right.

When I go to work - it doesn't matter if I perform or not. Cause the company isn't riding on my performance - it all just happens around me, apparently.

That must be why my boss always says "You did alright today. Put yourself about. Made it easier for others to do their job. But you are absolute shite".

When I complain to HR, they just tell me I'm a snowflake, too.

:trollface:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If your boss had the above examples to say about you in your annual review (bad performance implied), would the thought enter your head to maybe think that's a bit abusive or would you say fair enough those comments are a critical assessment of my performance in the last year?

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

His goals have all been natural finishes I just think he is still far behind others on his development curve. Give him 2 or 3 years and I think he will dominate the prem as he will be too big to handle and will have his finishing, passing and dribbling down pat. Right now he is basically a 16 year old as he is 8 years behind Davis who has been playing in a competitive setting since he was 8. They both could be very good it is just wesley is a diamond in the rough and anything he does in the prem shows his natural ability. 

Sorry, don't see any of this happening.

If he was 14 he might have caught up to the kids around him when he was 16 or 17. 

But to think he will catch up to the best players in the world is unlikely to say the least. They train just as hard as him under even better coaches. 

He certainly has room to improve. That he started so late is a handicap and you can see it in his movement, skill on the ball, body balance, tactical awareness and decision making at times

If he keeps his head level and focuses in the right things he will get better, no doubt about it. But turning into a dominating force you have to be a one in a billion player.

I don't think he is.

25 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Nah.

😉

None of that is abuse. Its criticism. 

@ozvillafan I agree he shouldn’t get abuse but I have to admit those examples were just criticism.  I do however think it was very unfair OTT criticism based on yesterday’s performance. 

If you want to have a look at examples of abuse the Taylor and Elmo thread are full of them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Had a very decent game yesterday despite missing the sitter. Particularly the first half where he was holding the ball and looking to bring other into play. I noted a few occasions where he had the ball and was frustrated with the movement of his team mates and could only play the ball backwards! Could see him throwing his hands in the air.

He just needs some confidence to drive at the defence and get some shots off. Too much time with his back to the goal and holding defenders off - which he is good at but wont help with the goals on its own.

The difference with Wesley and Abraham is that Abraham has a huge desire and drive to score goals.

If Abraham picks up a ball outside the box and lays it out wide to El Ghazi, he is busting his balls to get back into the middle of the box to be on the end of the cross.

If Wesley picks up a ball outside the box and lays it out wide to El Ghazi he waits for a second to see if the ball is coming back, he then strolls towards the area.

This is what Smith needs to work with him on; and come January we need a player with a similar goalscoring drive to Abraham to come in and support Wesley.

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Sorry, don't see any of this happening.

If he was 14 he might have caught up to the kids around him when he was 16 or 17. 

But to think he will catch up to the best players in the world is unlikely to say the least. They train just as hard as him under even better coaches. 

He certainly has room to improve. That he started so late is a handicap and you can see it in his movement, skill on the ball, body balance, tactical awareness and decision making at times

If he keeps his head level and focuses in the right things he will get better, no doubt about it. But turning into a dominating force you have to be a one in a billion player.

I don't think he is.

Players generally stop adding new skills to their game at about 24 and then start adding new ones back once they hit 28 after they leave their athletic prime. Wesley has probably 4 or 5 more years where he can easily add or refine his skills because he hasn't had as long to refine them.

Â