Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

He works hard and undoubtedly will improve but I have my doubts whether he will improve quick enough or far enough for what we require

He seems to lack some of the essential skills for a CF - he has no burst of pace, no trick, no ability to go past a player, no predatory instinct, no threat in the air, can’t shift it and make a chance and no demonstrable power in his shot

If he is still our CF this time next year, I’ll be very surprised (that, or we will be back in the championship)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thank you! 

Haller I think is excellent mind. 

What really frustrates me is that people don't seem to pick up on the amount of chances we create or how good of a creative midfield we got. 

Excellent midfield, non-existant strikeforce. 

We create a lot of chances, yes, but we don't create that many chances for Wesley. He's often used as a decoy runner or a shield.

Part of this is down to Wesley not making the right runs, of course - some of his runs are too obvious and easy for the defender to anticipate. He needs a bit more urgency and a bit more change of direction.

But he has also suffered from most of our attacking midfielders being players who fancy their chances from distance. McGinn very rarely passes when he's in a 2 on 2 situation, and he's the nearest midfielder to Wesley most of the time. Can you remember a single time when Wesley has been slipped in with a through ball, besides Jota's pass in the Everton game?

It seems to me like Jota and Douglas "get" Wesley a bit more than our other players do. I feel like McGinn and Grealish still haven't really tuned into his wavelength (and vice versa).

Having said all that, I would be seriously tempted to give El Ghazi a crack at centre forward. The lad can finish, and he's really dangerous on the counter attack. Front three of Grealish, El Ghazi, Trezeguet.

• Like 1

He played better yesterday, he even used his strength and defenders regretted it. Wes came out into midfield to help support and he made that work because his passing was a problem for Newcastle, it allowed Jack and Ghazi to progress being him.

I think he has it in him to be a decent centre forward but he's just not showing it. He is quite poor at holding the ball up and just stands waving his arms when the ball is taken from him. He needs to be stronger and smarter - he has the build to do that! 

Some of his runs aren't clever or quick enough and he seems to need to be pushed by the team/management/fans to close down opponents etc. 

Not writing him off but he's in danger of losing his place unless he livens himself up. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thank you! 

Haller I think is excellent mind. 

What really frustrates me is that people don't seem to pick up on the amount of chances we create or how good of a creative midfield we got. 

Excellent midfield, non-existant strikeforce. 

I watched the West Ham game vs Spuds. I saw nothing in Haller's performance that made me think he was better than Wesley  - let alone twice as good given the price!

Haller's touch was diabolical, his link up play non-existent and the shot he had (I only remember the one) was abysmal.

Wesley worked hard, linked with others well, held the ball up and occupied their defenders. He should have had a goal but for a great save from Dubravka (who also did well to deny Konsa and Luiz).

I saw nothing in Wesley's performance that justifies the abuse he is getting.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We create a lot of chances, yes, but we don't create that many chances for Wesley. He's often used as a decoy runner or a shield.

Part of this is down to Wesley not making the right runs, of course - some of his runs are too obvious and easy for the defender to anticipate. He needs a bit more urgency and a bit more change of direction.

But he has also suffered from most of our attacking midfielders being players who fancy their chances from distance. McGinn very rarely passes when he's in a 2 on 2 situation, and he's the nearest midfielder to Wesley most of the time. Can you remember a single time when Wesley has been slipped in with a through ball, besides Jota's pass in the Everton game?

It seems to me like Jota and Douglas "get" Wesley a bit more than our other players do. I feel like McGinn and Grealish still haven't really tuned into his wavelength (and vice versa).

Having said all that, I would be seriously tempted to give El Ghazi a crack at centre forward. The lad can finish, and he's really dangerous on the counter attack. Front three of Grealish, El Ghazi, Trezeguet.

till his goal last night Ghazi had missed yet another open goal which were 3 spectacular misses in three games, yes he scored and I do see your point abit but he's more suited where he is for a reason which is because of his quick runs.

Wesley did enough for me to be noticed for the right reasons, his support is counted for me and I feel because all he did was lay on good passes and lay offs and didn't score, some are just getting on his back.

One instance I watched Wesley unselfishly not have a crack took it back out the box take it round a defender to give it Jack. Wesley I thought should of had a couple of cracks last night but instead passed it on and to me he's a cog in a machine that helps make things works. I fear alot on this thread are comparing him to some of our more established players and comparing him, he's new, he's adjusting and untill were more clear on his role because none of us are any wiser in what Smith his asking of him, we clearly can't judge the guy. If Smith is telling Wesley to drop out of attack, support, be a decoy and cause whatever headaches he can then he's obviously doing an ok job at it at the moment.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wes put himself about all night so that SJM could shoot wide about fifty times when it was 2 on 2, or 3 on 3 and should have released it. 

But yeah, let's shit on the lone striker who spent the whole game putting himself about and making space for runners from midfield.

Seriously guys - there are plenty of sticks to beat Wes with, but last night wasn't one of them.

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I would be seriously tempted to give El Ghazi a crack at centre forward. The lad can finish

No offense, but that's like saying Trez can finish. I like them both but this is stretching reality.

24 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

He works hard and undoubtedly will improve but I have my doubts whether he will improve quick enough or far enough for what we require

He seems to lack some of the essential skills for a CF - he has no burst of pace, no trick, no ability to go past a player, no predatory instinct, no threat in the air, can’t shift it and make a chance and no demonstrable power in his shot

If he is still our CF this time next year, I’ll be very surprised (that, or we will be back in the championship)

Yeh, but he occupies defenders don’t you know! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vancvillan said:

let's shit on the lone striker who spent the whole game putting himself about and making space for runners from midfield.

Seriously guys - there are plenty of sticks to beat Wes with, but last night wasn't one of them.

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If Smith is telling Wesley to drop out of attack, support, be a decoy and cause whatever headaches he can then he's obviously doing an ok job at it at the moment.

Making space for others is part of the job, but not the biggest part. 

No trick, no aerial threat, no burst of pace, no power in his shot, no predatory instinct, no ability to go past a man

There may be a reason why midfielders are taking chances themselves rather than trying to play him in

He's trying hard enough but I don’t believe it will be enough - let’s hope that’s not the case

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, but he occupies defenders don’t you know! 

If he'd have scored that sitter this thread would be plenty saying he had a brilliant match. Goal or not he didn't, he just wasn't 100% useless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If he'd have scored that sitter this thread would be plenty saying he had a brilliant match. Goal or not he didn't, he just wasn't 100% useless.

It’s got to the point now where he’s had a good game if he controls the ball a few times!

Dont worry, this madness will be over soon enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s got to the point now where he’s had a good game if he controls the ball a few times!

Dont worry, this madness will be over soon enough. 

Andre Green.

I thought he was much better last night than the previous 3 matches. Needs a lot of improvement to make it in the prem though. Anyone noticed that refs hardly ever award him free kicks. He gets pushed and pulled but the majority of tussles go against him, it seems to frustrate him, needs to learn to get past that stuff and get on with the game. 

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

After finding out he's a false 9 i don't think he is a bad player.

He just isn't what we need. We need a proper number 9 who will be at the end of crosses. Like Tammy and Benteke used to do for us.

What the hell are you talking about?

Just because a couple of VT’ers have labelled him a false 9 because they’re struggling to come to terms with the fact he’s a monumental waste of money, doesn’t mean he is one mate. 

He wasn’t brought in as a false 9, he isn’t a false 9 and he never will be a false 9.

He’s a striker. Just a really bad one. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

He’s a striker. Just a really bad one. 

Didn't really play as a striker yesterday.

He constantly dropped deep trying to join in the build up play.

But it's clear he is no number 9 and i don't think he fits our system.

One of his biggest critics but he played well. Much stronger and sharper with laying off the ball. Didn't want an enternity to take his touch and find a pass. Wasn't getting caught on the ball.

Should have scored.

I still don't see him being anything more than a 20 minute battering ram in the future though should we stay up and continue to develop the squad.

Â