Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we all saw the game and we barely attacked Norwich.  Our attacking play from back to front didn’t exist today....no wonder most of those stats are that for Wes.  Yes he should do better but the team also must do better giving him something.

Stats are just stats, in this example they reinforce a picture we all saw.

Our wide players were awful and that is the reason I still rather play Grealish on the flank.

But Wesley doesn't understand the role he is playing and is out of position all the time. He lacks the instinct to be a striker and doesn't even look like he want's to find himself in scoring positions.

There was 1 time when he was in the general area where a cross flew through the air and he didn't even jump. He certainly isn't our only issue but he is a pressing one.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

No Lansbury came on in stoppage time.

Smith saw this clown literally walking around the pitch and thought he offered more than Kodjia.

The final 10 minutes was tailor made for Kodjia. Them throwing caution to the wind, us waiting for it to breakdown so we could spring forward with a counter.  I was amazed he wasn't brought on. Amazed. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is a bit like a young Emile Heskey without the heading ability. Having a pacy strike to play off him would make the world of difference- but we play 4-3-3. Did we do any scouting on him?

He's absolutely nothing like a young Heskey at all, he's close to a 34 year old Heskey. Young Heskey was a pacy, somewhat dynamic striker.

• Like 1

Weird thing is he's always looking for pockets of space when he drops deep, but when he's attacking the box he seems to just jog alongside the man marking him. No desire to throw a feint or bend his run or anything clever to lose his marker. It's incredibly frustrating.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Wesley is getting stick after today’s game then he will never win certain fans over. He played ok today. Not amazing but did a job.

I think it was the last 20 mins that put people off, he was truly shocking. Even Trezeguet was motioning for him to go up front at one point, he didn't get it. He was trying to fill in at DM 😂

49 minutes ago, sne said:

According to Whoscored he had 59% passing accuracy, the worst of all our starting players today.

Had the least amount of time on the ball of all our starting players today with 2.5%.

Won 2 out of 4 aerial duels, made 1 tackle, 2 foul,s 1 offside and had zero attempted shots, on or off goal.

I don't think he was our worst player today but equally he was hardly involved and almost constantly out of position.

50% of headers won must be a new record for him. I’ve heard a lot of people saying that he’s a scapegoat and the fans need to get off his back but all around me he got backing throughout the match, getting an ovation every time he closed them down. On the other Luiz and El Ghazi got pelters pretty much every time they touched the ball. Funny how differently people see games isn’t it?

If he is being coached properly, he is not listening. An if he is not listening why does Smith continue to play him???

An before you say we have no one else, we have Kodj, not the most prolific, but he causes problems and has to be marked. Teams have worked out Wes, in that he is not a danger or don't cause to many problems.

31 minutes ago, djdabush said:

50% of headers won must be a new record for him. I’ve heard a lot of people saying that he’s a scapegoat and the fans need to get off his back but all around me he got backing throughout the match, getting an ovation every time he closed them down. On the other Luiz and El Ghazi got pelters pretty much every time they touched the ball. Funny how differently people see games isn’t it?

That might be because some fans think he needs encouragement?

I thought he looked more useful today, but as many have said already he is always too deep and never really offers much in the box where we need him. It wouldn't be so bad if El Ghazi or Trez were a credible threat every game, but neither are strikers. I have no idea why Dean doesn't give Wes and Kodjia more of a try up front.

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it was the last 20 mins that put people off, he was truly shocking. Even Trezeguet was motioning for him to go up front at one point, he didn't get it. He was trying to fill in at DM 😂

I think he was so scared of us losing he wanted to defend with the team.

45 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Same here. I think he’s a scapegoat on Villatalk but at the ground El Ghazi and Luiz get it the worst. El Ghazi because he doesn’t track. Luiz because he is a bit erratic. 

7 minutes ago, poitier said:

It is questionable starting him for every match, but downright weird that he stays on for the full 90 even when he is clearly out of energy.  I like Smith, of course, but what the hell is going on there?

He really doesn't like playing Kodjia is the most reasonable guess. At this point I'm starting to think that they may have had issues with each other behind closed doors or something.

"Oi! Wes!"

"Sim, Conor? " 

"Oi've just seen the boss, and he said 'Would yez ever be after having a word with yer man Wesley about goalscoring'?" 

"Sim - é muito difícil, não?" 

"Nah, pal, nothin' to it. See, what Oi do is this: Oi gets into that box, Oi gets the ball at me feet, and - here's the trick - Oi wellies it as hard as ever Oi can, in the general direction of the auld onion bag". 

"Saco de cebola?"

"That's the badger. He says you're to try it out against Watford". 

"Uau. Agora eu estou confuso..." 

• Like 1

Â