Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Rather take a risk on him at 25mill than on someone from France at the same price.  

Leeds fans are going ape at the prospect of him being sold, this speaks volumes to me.  

Yep. He'll likely hit the ground running too, rather than needing X amount of time to settle etc.

51 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

This is everything I'm thinking. Gueye was/is a good player but he wasn't that effective for us. We were a mess though, so it might have been hard for him to really show what he was about.

Only the most successful tackles per game in PL last season with 4.3 next best 3.8 and only 5 players 3 or more. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Only the most successful tackles per game in PL last season with 4.3 next best 3.8 and only 5 players 3 or more. 

I was talking about when he was with us. I haven't watched the prem since we were relegated.

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He made the highest number of successful tackles and interceptions per match across Europe's top five leagues over the 2016 calendar year.

That was with us then Everton. Many people didn't rate him because (A) rest of our team sucked and (B) many football fans do not appreciate the role of DM

Veretout also suffered from being tarred by the same brush as the garbage in that squad.  Annoys me when people say Gana (Gueye) and Veretout were a "flop".  Messi would have flopped in that team.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Veretout also suffered from being tarred by the same brush as the garbage in that squad.  Annoys me when people say Gana (Gueye) and Veretout were a "flop".  Messi would have flopped in that team.

Veretout was awful for us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Probably because we didn't know how to use a cultured midfielder properly?

I think if we signed him now he would suit us just fine and probably do really well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Rather take a risk on him at 25mill than on someone from France at the same price.  

Leeds fans are going ape at the prospect of him being sold, this speaks volumes to me.  

Just asked a Leeds fan at work about him.

He said he's very poor on the ball, weak in the tackle, susceptible to a lot of yellow and red cards and known as a bit of a trouble maker and we are best to stay well clear.  I could see he was crying inside despite being about 6.5 foot tall and built like a brick toilet.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just asked a Leeds fan at work about him.

He said he's very poor on the ball, weak in the tackle, susceptible to a lot of yellow and red cards and known as a bit of a trouble maker and we are best to stay well clear.  I could see he was crying inside despite being about 6.5 foot tall and built like a brick toilet.

So he is very similar to Grealish then 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

At the risk of de-railing, I don't think this is entirely fair.  Despite well documented struggles settling and an apparent lack of regard from Timmy of Sherwood, I thought he looked tidy on the ball and offered more movement going forward than most of our squad at that time.  His main issue was being "bullied" off the ball, but he seemed to absolutely have game to work on.  As did Gueye, as did Amavi.  Pretty sure Veretout also ended the season as highest assister (is that a word?) in the squad - which, granted, was probably about 3 that season.

I can imagine that Kalvin Phillips would be much more physical and therefore a better fit.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

At the risk of de-railing, I don't think this is entirely fair.  Despite well documented struggles settling and an apparent lack of regard from Timmy of Sherwood, I thought he looked tidy on the ball and offered more movement going forward than most of our squad at that time.  His main issue was being "bullied" off the ball, but he seemed to absolutely have game to work on.  As did Gueye, as did Amavi.  Pretty sure Veretout also ended the season as highest assister (is that a word?) in the squad - which, granted, was probably about 3 that season.

I can imagine that Kalvin Phillips would be much more physical and therefore a better fit.

Good post.

Players like Veretout have talent but are not physically ready for this league. As you said he got bullied off the ball and I remember him looking completely shattered after 60 minutes in his early games. 

He was a little like how El Ghazi looked when he first started for us last season. 

So yes there is value to be found abroad if we’re prepared to give the players half a season to adapt to the league.

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Just Imagine McGinn & Phillips in midfielder for us like two terrier dogs

We will have in midfield the Yorkshire Terrier & Scottish Terrier with Captain Jack in front of them!!

The lack of height is an issue. Having someone tall in the centre gives you a chance to get back on the front foot by winning defensive or GK aerial clearences. Also helps on set pieces at both ends. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I seem to remember him having a decent number of assists relative to the shite around him, he was quite simply set up to fail here, awful management, awful coaching.

• Like 3

Veretout always had ability. I remember being bemused at how some people seemed to hate him.

Then I think back to January and being told by all and sundry that our squad simply wasn't good enough to play the way Smith wanted us to play nor for promotion. Maybe the first part to a degree was correct, but the latter clearly wasn't. So... Football supporters eh. 

Anyway, is Veretout coming back?

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Veretout always had ability. I remember being bemused at how some people seemed to hate him.

Then I think back to January and being told by all and sundry that our squad simply wasn't good enough to play the way Smith wanted us to play nor for promotion. Maybe the first part to a degree was correct, but the latter clearly wasn't. So... Football supporters eh. 

Anyway, is Veretout coming back?

danny devito no GIF

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Can't agree with that. I can hardly think of a league with more great DMCs the last 25 years than Ligue 1. 

Â