Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I think Norwich are finished. Their style of play will cost them i think.

I think we have too much quality in the side to go down. Right now i think we'll finish 15th

Sheffield United i think will finish above us. They've taken very well to the Premier League, been really impressed by them.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Norwich are finished. Their style of play will cost them i think.

I think we have too much quality in the side to go down. Right now i think we'll finish 15th

Sheffield United i think will finish above us. They've taken very well to the Premier League, been really impressed by them.

You’ve changed your tune after one game. Didn’t you say we’re going down after the Burnley game?

• Haha 1

It's hard to call, as it's still early stages. I think I am clinging to my optimism beyond what is perhaps displayed, but I think we're going to do well, certainly better than what's touted.

The distance between now and end of season means there's scope for dramatic improvement and capitulation for nearly every team.

Teams will adjust or maintain their approach based on the belief of whether or not it achieves a desired outcome for them, all games are opportunity to improve standing.

No table position is solidified yet, and with so much to play for I think every club is hopeful and doing their utmost to ensure an optimal outcome is achieved by the seasons end.

We will still see upsets like Norwich defeating City, games that are largely controlled by teams who go on to lose, fluke goals, manager sackings, player injuries etc.

I don't watch any games outside of Villa really so I don't have an opinion on which teams will struggle or which will rise above, as I don't see them play.  That said...

The whole competition has an opportunity to find a formula that sets them apart from an opponent, tactics and approach are not necessarily established, same for the starting XI.

Strengths and weaknesses are perceived and will not always align from one's to an other's POV, every match being unique means threats and frailties will vary with every opponent.

Look at the commentary on VT surrounding Tammy's ability to make the step-up. I was sure he would, if he continued to play how he was for us, but many were doubtful about it.

The thing is though Tammy has been fortunate enough to land himself a role where he's got the confidence of the manager, and that has worked out thus far. That might change.

Watford won a cup last year, no? I wouldn't know because I don't watch them, but I'm certainly not saying they are relegated, they may find similar form to the cup run and kick on..

Our squad depth (and competition), together with our ability to add usefully (hopefully) in January will be very valuable in the seasons grind. I see us getting better after a slow start, finding our feet and new players gelling, whereas as pointed out, others that have surprised or started quickly may get found out, and smaller squads will be under duress come February.

A cup run is a mixed blessing.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

I think Norwich's lack of investment this summer will cost them dearly. Their good early form was down to continuity leading into the season but that's clearly worn off already and they will continue to slide down the table. 

Sheffield United will be in the same boat as Norwich. 

There's one other team to make the bottom three and it could be any of a group of teams, which probably includes us. But, I have faith in us to stay up because I believe we will keep getting better as the season goes on due to the players getting to know each other more and settling in. 

I hope we stay up because I believe our team will be a very good side next season after they've had a season together, the new players have settled and, more players have been signed. 

36 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think Norwich's lack of investment this summer will cost them dearly. Their good early form was down to continuity leading into the season but that's clearly worn off already and they will continue to slide down the table. 

Sheffield United will be in the same boat as Norwich. 

There's one other team to make the bottom three and it could be any of a group of teams, which probably includes us. But, I have faith in us to stay up because I believe we will keep getting better as the season goes on due to the players getting to know each other more and settling in. 

I hope we stay up because I believe our team will be a very good side next season after they've had a season together, the new players have settled and, more players have been signed. 

It's Newcastle and 2 others imo. If they're Norwich and Sheffield United so be it, but I rather it were dross like Southampton (who became useless also-rans after selling all their players) and like Watford or Burnley. I hope teams that try to play good football stay up as opposed to clubs who just play the percentages to stay in the league.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's Newcastle and 2 others imo. If they're Norwich and Sheffield United so be it, but I rather it were dross like Southampton (who became useless also-rans after selling all their players) and like Watford or Burnley. I hope teams that try to play good football stay up as opposed to clubs who just play the percentages to stay in the league.

Burnley won't go down. They are simply too good. They are probably the best team outside the top 8 or even better because of how crap United, spur, arsenal and Everton are. 

14 hours ago, BOF said:

I disagree ...

They have taken to the PL very well, but I think they'll be figured out eventually and the lack of quality will tell.

Sheff Utd & Norwich will suffer the same fate IMO*.  They started well because they started largely with the players that got them up.  So they were a finished product straight away.  But that finished product has already basically hit its ceiling.  They're not going to get much better than they are.  So they'd better make hay while the sun shines.  Us on the other hand, we're going from strength to strength.  Getting better every game and who knows where we'll end up and how good we'll be.

Now that's not to say both Sheff & Norwich will definitely go down, but I would expect at least one of them will, and both will be closer to the drop than we are.

* In that they'll both be figured out and fall like a stone.

I agree BOF. A couple of games ago people were saying Norwich will stay up and we will go down. Opinions seem to change game by game. All it takes is Sheffield United to lose a couple on the bounce or get spanked and people will be saying they are going down too.

I always thought the first 10 games this season will be the hardest. I hoped for 10 points from the first 10 games, as for me we would have a great chance of staying up then. 11 points per 10 games effectively guarantees survival. And as the most likely outcome is that we will improve as the season goes on 10 points from 10 games is a solid foundation and would indicate (to me) that will end up in lower mid table at least. 

As for Tammy I am pleased for him, but he is not a top striker yet in my opinion. Still wastes chances, but will always score if you create a lot, which this Chelsea team do. Still needs to improve his hold up play also. Solid premier league striker on balance, with more potential to extract.

I think Wesley is more clinical, but doesn't have the same nose for taking up goal scoring positions.

The fact we have determination and hardwork as the real backbone in this squad means we were certain to improve with good leadership. So with the leadership qualities Jack has shown as well as his love for Villa, plus the thoughtful, honest and warm approach Dean Smith brings, combined with the traditional english leadership style of John Terry and Tyrone Mings see us in a good place for now and in the near future.

For me, the current bottom 8 will be the one's fighting the relegation spots. 

Hard to call who will go down - Watford might yet 'do a Palace' and recover.  Everton look to have a stink about them, but might have enough quality.  Newcastle & Southampton are weak.

Ideally we pull away a bit and settle into the Wolves/Burnley/Palace/West Ham/Man Utd (lol) section.  Won't really know till Jan how it shakes out.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

For me, the current bottom 8 will be the one's fighting the relegation spots. 

Hard to call who will go down - Watford might yet 'do a Palace' and recover.  Everton look to have a stink about them, but might have enough quality.  Newcastle & Southampton are weak.

Ideally we pull away a bit and settle into the Wolves/Burnley/Palace/West Ham/Man Utd (lol) section.  Won't really know till Jan how it shakes out.

Watford's problem is if they get cut adrift, they'd have to massively outperform the teams above them to catch them. Matching them isn't enough, and they're not that good. Another month or 2 of bad results and it'll feel like needing a Champions League campaign to escape.  They need to be very careful or it could be a disaster. 

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Watford's problem is if they get cut adrift, they'd have to massively outperform the teams above them to catch them. Matching them isn't enough, and they're not that good. Another month or 2 of bad results and it'll feel like needing a Champions League campaign to escape.  They need to be very careful or it could be a disaster. 

I think it will be for them.

They will probably sack the guy in charge by Christmas and it will just be a mess. Players will never feel a stable environment.

But i think it's safe to say Big Sam will have a very busy phone this Christmas.

Edited by villalad21

For me it’ll be Watford, Norwich, & Newcastle to go down. I think Villa could, perhaps should, have had a further 5pts on their current tally of 8pts. Whereas I think Newcastle’s 8pts flatters them, unexpected wins against Spurs & ManUtd padding out what is otherwise a very poor start (and as it turns out that is probably the worst ManUtd team seen in decades). The good thing about those wins against Spurs & ManUtd is that it’ll likely buy Bruce more time in the job, he’ll constantly point to those games in the weeks ahead as evidence of the genius within. 
Norwich simply won’t spend the money, they’ll maybe dip into the January market for a top championship player, but that’ll be with one eye on a 2020/21 Championship campaign. 
Watford definitely seem to have a big hangover from that Cup final drubbing, I don’t think they have the players to dig them out from a bad start like Palace last season. One or two of their players might even look for the exit door in January if the struggle continues. 
I won’t get carried away with our away win at Norwich, fantastic performance on the day but let’s stay grounded. If ElGhazi can produce that type of display again and again, then fantastic. Ditto Nakamba. Ditto Wesley. In the championship you can do well with players earning 8/10 performances, in the Premier League you need a player earning a 9/10 or 10/10 to win points. I’m confident we’ll improve every month, and if we can steer clear of injuries to key personnel then we can hopefully go into January with no pressure to buy a stop gap, instead buying a bit more frosting to go on top of the cake. The top 6 or 7 clubs aside, I’ve not seen much to convince me we’re too far behind anyone else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Agree it's highly unlikely.  Spurs away next, Bournemouth (h), Everton (a) - 6 pointer!, Chelsea (h).  They could be in deep shit by then.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it's vital we win the next game. It's unlikely we will get anything from city and Liverpool. Wolves away isn't going to be easy either. 

Testing times.

Against City or Liverpool we should either rest our players and the other we should go for broke. I'd go for the win against City but rest Jack, John, wes and mings against Liverpool. For me we need to have players fully at the ready against wolves, Chelsea, Leicester and United as for me they are all winnable games.

On 07/10/2019 at 08:11, Vive_La_Villa said:

.But as Everton and united have shown it’s not always about spending. It’s about spending wisely.

Absolutely. That's why the most important person at a football is, and will always be the manager. Man UTD spending close to a billion pound and sitting in the bottom half proves that. 

In Smith I think we have a good un