Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Absolutely. That's why the most important person at a football is, and will always be the manager. Man UTD spending close to a billion pound and sitting in the bottom half proves that. 

In Smith I think we have a good un

So do I. It’s why it winds me up when some fans are so quick to turn on him after a bad result. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just read we've taken Jordan Archer on trial? Is this for real? 

Not sure about 'On trial' but he's training with the GK coaching staff and keepers whilst he searches for a club. Happens a lot when players are released good for the CV if they are seen to be training somewhere rather than sitting on there arses getting fat.

Edited by zab6359

15 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Against City or Liverpool we should either rest our players and the other we should go for broke. I'd go for the win against City but rest Jack, John, wes and mings against Liverpool. For me we need to have players fully at the ready against wolves, Chelsea, Leicester and United as for me they are all winnable games.

U mad bro? We shouldn't and won't rest players against either of these.  Throwing away the chance of any points in a league game is a ridiculous idea.  We'll go in hoping to win.  There will be plenty more upsets for City and Liverpool through the season and there is no reason why we can't pull one off. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rubberman said:

U mad bro? We shouldn't and won't rest players against either of these.  Throwing away the chance of any points in a league game is a ridiculous idea.  We'll go in hoping to win.  There will be plenty more upsets for City and Liverpool through the season and there is no reason why we can't pull one off. 

No what is crazy is anticipating Grealish, Mcginn, Mings and Wesley to play every game in the league hopefully play 5 or 6 important Cup games and not run the risk of a serious injury. If we are going to rest players we should be resting In games that we are likely to lose and not in 6 pointers or winnable games come the end of the season. I want us to go for the win but resting players is important. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

No what is crazy is anticipating Grealish, Mcginn, Mings and Wesley to play every game in the league hopefully play 5 or 6 important Cup games and not run the risk of a serious injury. If we are going to rest players we should be resting In games that we are likely to lose and not in 6 pointers or winnable games come the end of the season. I want us to go for the win but resting players is important. 

Nope.  Rest them in the cup games.  Focus needs to be on survival in the league this year.  Maybe reconsider later in the season if the situation is different, but it's far too early (after 8 games and 2 international breaks) to start resting first choices in the league.

• Like 2

This isn't the Championship were you play 2 games every week.

It's not an issue at all for Mcginn, Mings and Grealish to play every Saturday.

Evey teams got star players who play every week, why should it be a problem at Villa?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Nope.  Rest them in the cup games.  Focus needs to be on survival in the league this year.  Maybe reconsider later in the season if the situation is different, but it's far too early (after 8 games and 2 international breaks) to start resting first choices in the league.

Completely disagree. Jack has a sketchy injury history and so does mings and Engels yet we have played all of them but Engles all the minutes in the prem so far. On top of that if we want to succeed in the Cup which we clearly do we will likely need to play jack and John against wolves or any other teams further on in the contest.

We will definitely rest our players at some point in the season and to me that should be right before we enter a stretch of difficult but winnable games that could cement our position in the middle of the table. The last thing we need is Jack going down against Liverpool or wolves and being out for 2 months of the season. 

There are also a couple of added benefits where we get to play our second choices and determine which plays we will be able to rely on throughout the season. Would Davis or Kodjia be the answer if Wesley went down. What about if targett and Engels went out would we play hause full back or Taylor, or konsa and Chester Centre half. These are questions we should answer now before we enter a stretch of easy games that could end with us cut adrift because we had injuries. 

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Completely disagree. Jack has a sketchy injury history and so does mings and Engels yet we have played all of them but Engles all the minutes in the prem so far. On top of that if we want to succeed in the Cup which we clearly do we will likely need to play jack and John against wolves or any other teams further on in the contest.

We will definitely rest our players at some point in the season and to me that should be right before we enter a stretch of difficult but winnable games that could cement our position in the middle of the table. The last thing we need is Jack going down against Liverpool or wolves and being out for 2 months of the season. 

There are also a couple of added benefits where we get to play our second choices and determine which plays we will be able to rely on throughout the season. Would Davis or Kodjia be the answer if Wesley went down. What about if targett and Engels went out would we play hause full back or Taylor, or konsa and Chester Centre half. These are questions we should answer now before we enter a stretch of easy games that could end with us cut adrift because we had injuries. 

You make some sense, problem is Jack and Tyrone's injury record has nothing to do with fatigue. They have just been unlucky. The Man City and Liverpool game are perfectly suited to Jack. Those teams are less likely to come with the rough stuff, and it's a great platform for him. With Mings out we would risk getting destroyed by them and a hammering is never good for confidence. Continuity is very important right now too as players and tactics are bedding in and being established.

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If you value a cup win over PL survival, sure - that makes sense.  I don't.

Otherwise there is a) an equal chance of getting injured in cup / league games, so why risk key players in the cup (which we have limited so far), and b) the 2nd string have the same opportunity to prove themselves in the League cup, which is now meeting PL sides anyway, and c) if we will 'definitely' rest players at some point, make it the cup games.

A cup would be great, but it's a pretty slim chance and IMO shouldn't distract from getting points in the league.  YMMV.

A good cup run can increase the moral of the team. It can actually benefit us in the league.

Never underestimate the effect of that winning feeling regardless who you are playing against.

Cup games is also something to look forward to for the players, which is positive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

This isn't the Championship were you play 2 games every week.

It's not an issue at all for Mcginn, Mings and Grealish to play every Saturday.

Evey teams got star players who play every week, why should it be a problem at Villa?

If the cup game is being played on a weekend where there is no league game following close afterwards then by all means play them.  But if the cup game is midweek sandwiched between 2 weekend league games then I'd rest them.  Yes they're quite capable of playing in all 3, but the percentage of fatigue for the 2nd league game only needs to drop a few points to hand the opposition an advantage.   So for me it's not as simple as play in the cups.  We need to pick our battles.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

If the cup game is being played on a weekend where there is no league game following close afterwards then by all means play them.  But if the cup game is midweek sandwiched between 2 weekend league games then I'd rest them.  Yes they're quite capable of playing in all 3, but the percentage of fatigue for the 2nd league game only needs to drop a few points to hand the opposition an advantage.   So for me it's not as simple as play in the cups.  We need to pick our battles.

Absolutely, No 1 objective is to stay in this league! I would love a decent cup run but if I am totally honest they are a distraction right now for us! Keep playing the 2nd team imo.

i think we portray the message that we consider the cup important, its not 2nd string because no one gives a ****, its a new team, its only just getting settled, positions to play for, its a chance to show your stuff, mentality plays a huge part of it, the last couple of years it wasn't the line up that meant luton, Yeovil and burton played us off the park

based on our 2 performances so far deano's done a good job of that,

also agree that as the season goes on the fitness increases and these guys can play a cup game without too much worry, integrate more 1st teamers the further you progress

Our second string is very good and as was shown last time, if you take your chance (Conor, Targett)...you can stake a claim in the first team. Can't be a better motivation than that. I'd say we have the strongest second string in the bottom half. We have a decent player for every position bar left back.

• Like 1