Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich were so far ahead of us last season.

Our amazing owners have put us on par with them. Coaching staff also deserve praise of course.

They were so far ahead of us until Smith got some players in and got them playing his way. From March our form to theirs was on par.

edit: massive credit to our owners for putting in the cash. But as Everton and united have shown it’s not always about spending. It’s about spending wisely.

Some fans were starting to criticise our summer spending after Burnley game but I think considering we signed 13 players for less than Man U signed too is incredible business from our recruitment team.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just saw the stats for Norwich have, did they actually have 21 shots at goal, a small worry for future games. Need better game management and control of the ball. Can't let the opposition have that many shots. Still lots to improve on, but it's a great Monday feeling nevertheless!!

1 hour ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I’m also a believer of the goal difference roughly showing the correct positions theory.

Completely agree with this.  Especially early on...over the season position vs GD tends to level up.

29 minutes ago, supermon said:

Just saw the stats for Norwich have, did they actually have 21 shots at goal, a small worry for future games. Need better game management and control of the ball. Can't let the opposition have that many shots. Still lots to improve on, but it's a great Monday feeling nevertheless!!

It's always been that way for Smith teams.

Our solid defensive record to the end of last season is actually strange if you look at Smith's defensive record as a manager.

Scoring loads while leaking goals is what we have to start to accept. With both cm's and fullbacks bombing forward it will leave us exposed on the counter.

But i have kinda come to terms with it by now. I take this over Bruceball, getting bored out of my mind any day of the week.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich were so far ahead of us last season.

Our amazing owners have put us on par with them. Coaching staff also deserve praise of course.

On par with them?

Am I missing something or did we just beat them 5-1?

Eight of their players who started and finished against City also started against us, Max Aarons probably their most valuable player would have also started against City if he was fit,  Srbeny and Drmic came on as subs in both games. Then I look at their 3-1 over Newcastle in the second match of the season, and again eight players that started that game also started against us. So whilst they have some injuries problems, they aren't as bad as is being made out and shouldn't be used to take away what was a good performance and result for us.

Their team versus us...

McGovern, Aarons, Amadou, Godfrey, Lewis, Leitner, McLean, Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Pukki...

Versus City...

Krul, Byram, Amadou, Godfrey, Lewis Tettey, McLean, Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Pukki...

and versus Newcastle...

Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis, Trybull, Leitner, Cantwell, Stiepermann, Buendia, Pukki

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Eight of their players who started and finished against City also started against us, Max Aarons probably their most valuable player would have also started against City if he was fit,  Srbeny and Drmic came on as subs in both games. Then I look at their 3-1 over Newcastle in the second match of the season, and again eight players that started that game also started against us. So whilst they have some injuries problems, they aren't as bad as is being made out and shouldn't be used to take away what was a good performance and result for us.

Their team versus us...

McGovern, Aarons, Amadou, Godfrey, Lewis, Leitner, McLean, Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Pukki...

Versus City...

Krul, Byram, Amadou, Godfrey, Lewis Tettey, McLean, Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Pukki...

and versus Newcastle...

Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis, Trybull, Leitner, Cantwell, Stiepermann, Buendia, Pukki

I get that, but even so it's still a massive blow to have 9 players out injured. If same happened to us we would be screwed as well

Yes but eight players from their team that played against us also played in their only two wins of the season. Imagine if we lost 5-1 at Villa Park against relegation rival with eight players in the side that had played in our two wins of the season, having 'nine players out' wouldn't be a good enough excuse, and so it shouldn't be for Norwich. Besides they only named a 23 man squad for the season because they didn't want to spend  any money so even if you agree that they've been hit by injuries it's partly their own fault that they haven't got better players to bring in.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's always been that way for Smith teams.

Our solid defensive record to the end of last season is actually strange if you look at Smith's defensive record as a manager.

Scoring loads while leaking goals is what we have to start to accept. With both cm's and fullbacks bombing forward it will leave us exposed on the counter.

But i have kinda come to terms with it by now. I take this over Bruceball, getting bored out of my mind any day of the week.

Agree, looking back though I think that strong defensive record was mostly born of teams getting penned in because they were shit scared of our attacking talents and their only attacking outlet was a counter attack against two good athletic centre half’s at that level in mings and hause

On 06/10/2019 at 12:54, Delphouneso said:

By the same logic it's too early to judge that 'the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, West Ham and Crystal Palace' are the teams we should be beating this season.

Oh no, ye I agree. I think every team are the likes of team we should be beating this season. Other than Liverpool perhaps but they cant just win every game forever. I think it's a great time for us to be playing them soon.

9 minutes ago, turvontour said:

So, we're 15th going into the October international break. 

Would you take 15th now if offered it for our end of season place? 

i would literally bite ur arm off for 15th, all we should be caring about this season is staying up, then building on that for next season, investing more and progressing.

Doesnt matter where we finish this season, as long as its higher than 18th.......

• Like 1

one think i noted with the first 8 games, that is literally exactly the minimum form we need to stay up, ie:

W2 D2 L4 is pretty much the same as W10 D10 L18 at the end of the season (ofc need to not lose the 2 we are missing over the 18), but that would give us exactly 40 points?

So basically, what we are doing form wise now from the first 8 games, is the bare minimum we need to keep doing to have a chance of staying up. (probably need to do slightly better to account for the 18-20 losses difference it multiplier).

51 minutes ago, turvontour said:

So, we're 15th going into the October international break. 

Would you take 15th now if offered it for our end of season place? 

Sure. But under Smith we are an attacking team (happily) so our results are going to be patchy for a while, heck even Klopp & Pep had to ramp up in this league.

I am gonna wait till game 10 to start getting a sense of where we will be.

So far I think we look competitive in this league, which was job 1. I know the "something to build on" is a cliche, but I think its true in our case, we are finding our feet. I think we also have room to improve as we go forward and the players gel more. I dont think we have seen the best of this squad yet which makes it even more fun following the club right now as we can see them develop.