Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Yep Norwich really did have a go. I do think 5 - 1 was slightly flattering, but a convincing win was still what we deserved. I think BBC had us equal with 21 shots each with us have one more on target.

I think it's the manner of protecting a league, as you are spot on about not being able to attacking all the time, and having an attacking approach always leaves you s little open. 

Rather than defend a lead I believe the aim is to keep possession and stifle our opponents rather than defend with 10 men behind the ball. This takes a lot of practice so it's inevitable we will struggle for a few matches, till we get it down. I don't think we will really hit our stride till January.

The thing is I’m ok with us putting 10 players behind the ball to protect a lead. Our problem has been putting 10 players the ball and still being breached too easily!  We end up looking all over the place.

Having said that this only really happened against Arsenal and Spurs. Palace and Burnley caught us on the break.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is I’m ok with us putting 10 players behind the ball to protect a lead. Our problem has been putting 10 players the ball and still being breached too easily!  We end up looking all over the place.

Having said that this only really happened against Arsenal and Spurs. Palace and Burnley caught us on the break.

We also should have had a penalty against spurs at 1-0 and penalty at Arsenal at 3-2 and an unfairly disallowed goal against palace. We were also a man down against palace playing a 4-3-2. Defending with 10 men behind the ball shouldn't happen against an Arsenal team with 10 men, it also shouldn't happen against a Burnley team we dominated for most of the match. 

For me it's experience and team cohesion mainly responsible for this. The palace game was or worst performance so far this season and we did deserve to lose that one.

• Like 1

I think a win against Brighton would put is in a decent position with the fixtures coming up. The rest are free hits (Man City etc) if we can get a point out of them great it would help us further.

I'd still take finishing 17th now if it was offered. Staying up is vital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think a win against Brighton would put is in a decent position with the fixtures coming up. The rest are free hits (Man City etc) if we can get a point out of them great it would help us further.

I'd still take finishing 17th now if it was offered. Staying up is vital.

I would be satisfied with a point, as always we go for the win.

Must be said though Brighton are no mugs. Their centre backs are good (Dunk and Duffy) and in Connelly and Maupay they have a lively front two. They also have hard workers in the middle of the park.

Not an easy game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I would be satisfied with a point, as always we go for the win.

Must be said though Brighton are no mugs. Their centre backs are good (Dunk and Duffy) and in Connelly and Maupay they have a lively front two. They also have hard workers in the middle of the park.

Not an easy game.

Yep 3 points, a clean sheet, extend home unbeaten record, win by a couple of goals at a canter... would obviously be huge. A good performance ending with a point and keeping the unbeaten run at home going would not be the end of the world though. 

Nice that the days of hoping for a scrappy win by some miracle against the run of play are gone, but I'd still take a fluked win before the next couple of games just for the points :P 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yep 3 points, a clean sheet, extend home unbeaten record, win by a couple of goals at a canter... would obviously be huge. A good performance ending with a point and keeping the unbeaten run at home going would not be the end of the world though. 

Nice that the days of hoping for a scrappy win by some miracle against the run of play are gone, but I'd still take a fluked win before the next couple of games just for the points :P 

Not expecting anything against Man City. Keep it below 4 and we're good. But how great would it be to be the first team to take points off Liverpool (assuming they win the next 2)? VP would be absolutely rocking.

• Like 2

Going to be very interesting seeing how we go in to those games, I'd take 4 or 5 at City if we **** went for it and scored a couple ourselves, I just can't see us doing the old rabbit in the headlights we've been so great at for years against the big teams and yeah I don't know why but I think we'll do better against Liverpool at home that will be mental atmosphere if we score first. Not expecting any points but how we go about those games will be telling, get cuffed away at City going for it and not let our heads drop and go for the jugular against Liverpool woudl be amazing, even if we get beat in that one too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Going to be very interesting seeing how we go in to those games, I'd take 4 or 5 at City if we **** went for it and scored a couple ourselves, I just can't see us doing the old rabbit in the headlights we've been so great at for years against the big teams and yeah I don't know why but I think we'll do better against Liverpool at home that will be mental atmosphere if we score first. Not expecting any points but how we go about those games will be telling, get cuffed away at City going for it and not let our heads drop and go for the jugular against Liverpool woudl be amazing, even if we get beat in that one too.

I fully expect Liverpool to beat us with a controversial VAR assisted/not used goal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

What would be the point if we lost? Only way to beat city is park the bus and not one player switch off for a second. The longer it goes on the more space they leave at the back to get caught on the break. Happened twice to them this season already and will happen again. Teams are working out how to beat them.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As a newly promoted team that is trying to play an open style then it’s inevitable we will concede a lot of chances.

I personally think our problem is we are not organised enough once we get a lead.  I know fans have criticised Smith for making us try to hold on to leads rather than continue to attack but I disagree that is what has happened.  We just can’t attack for 90 minutes. 

There’s nothing wrong with protecting a lead with men behind the ball if it’s done in an organised manner.  I don’t think we are very good at it and more work is needed in this area. 

Which games have we had were Heaton's had to make 4-5 really good saves all within a short space of time?

As I've said only games I can really think of are Arsenal and Spurs second half but this is due to both having some of the best attackers in the league.

To me when your keeper is constantly being called into action and you're also conceding a shed load of corners (Crystal Palace game) that's to me conceding a lot of chances rather than players skying shots over the bar from long range.

We conceded lots of chances at this level under Paul Lambert. I don't have the same feeling from this team. Of course at this level you can only concede 3 chances and opposition will score twice as Burnley and Bournemouth did, that's different to the championship.

• Like 1

Wolves is shaping up to be a key game if we lose as expected v Man. City and Liverpool and don't beat Brighton.

Interested how we'll set up there with them coming into form of last season now.

Hopefully Taylor dosen't start that one as think Adama would run him ragged.Need to sign Hutton back on a short term deal if Targett gets injured again!

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wolves is shaping up to be a key game if we lose as expected v Man. City and Liverpool and don't beat Brighton.

Interested how we'll set up there with them coming into form of last season now.

Hopefully Taylor dosen't start that one as think Adama would run him ragged.Need to sign Hutton back on a short term deal if Targett gets injured again!

It will be their 7th game in 3 weeks. Not sure how strong their squad is but they’ll need to do rotate players. Hopefully works in our favour.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It will be their 7th game in 3 weeks. Not sure how strong their squad is but they’ll need to do rotate players. Hopefully works in our favour.

Well they will rotate v us in the cup (although doubt they'll go full youth team like Brighton) and also 3 days before us they're at home to Bratislava who are weakest team in their group so possibly could gamble on beating them with a few fringe players.

Can't see anything but their strongest team in the league. Given the thing their fans have about us now (seemingly taking over from West Brom) I doubt they'd stand for anything but a full strength v us.

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What would be the point if we lost? Only way to beat city is park the bus and not one player switch off for a second. The longer it goes on the more space they leave at the back to get caught on the break. Happened twice to them this season already and will happen again. Teams are working out how to beat them.

Being true to our game and what we want to do and showing belief in ourselves and what we want to do. On a practical level if you carry no goal threat against them it's suicide, I think you have to have a go, that doesn't mean playing 2-2-6 and committing suicide the other way and yes to score against them you have to invite them on, get the ball back and beat their press with a quick one/two touch counter. That doesn't mean not playing our own game when we have the ball though, and it doesn't mean just parking the bus.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Not expecting anything against Man City. Keep it below 4 and we're good. But how great would it be to be the first team to take points off Liverpool (assuming they win the next 2)? VP would be absolutely rocking.

I can see us scoring against them but they would just grind us down and put 3 past us. To take a point off Liverpool would be huge!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Being true to our game and what we want to do and showing belief in ourselves and what we want to do. On a practical level if you carry no goal threat against them it's suicide, I think you have to have a go, that doesn't mean playing 2-2-6 and committing suicide the other way and yes to score against them you have to invite them on, get the ball back and beat their press with a quick one/two touch counter. That doesn't mean not playing our own game when we have the ball though, and it doesn't mean just parking the bus.

I see where you’re coming from but I’ve already seen 2 teams that have abandoned their usual game for a pragmatic approach and taken 3 points against them.  They’ve shown how to beat them.

Maybe parking the bus is the wrong term to use.

11 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I can see us scoring against them but they would just grind us down and put 3 past us. To take a point off Liverpool would be huge!

They have a knack of grinding our goals no matter the situation. If the strikers are struggling they always pop up with a set piece goal. 

I have noticed Mane seems to be scoring a lot of key goals for them this season. Need to some how keep him quiet.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They have a knack of grinding our goals no matter the situation. If the strikers are struggling they always pop up with a set piece goal. 

I have noticed Mane seems to be scoring a lot of key goals for them this season. Need to some how keep him quiet.

Need TM to kick him in the air early doors!

• Like 1