Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Our second string is very good and as was shown last time, if you take your chance (Conor, Targett)...you can stake a claim in the first team. Can't be a better motivation than that. I'd say we have the strongest second string in the bottom half. We have a decent player for every position bar left back.

Hause didn’t do a bad job there last season.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This isn't the Championship were you play 2 games every week.

It's not an issue at all for Mcginn, Mings and Grealish to play every Saturday.

Evey teams got star players who play every week, why should it be a problem at Villa?

Were you around for the MON years?  Then you would remember us starting the season on fire, MON naming the same 11 every week and just when a Champions league spot was within our grasp those 11 players would lose game after game due to fatigue. 

This board complained every week as MON named an unchanged side. Rotation is a necessity in the Prem even more now that every team is required to play a pressing style of defense. Not rotating players is definitely going to end up costing us. Thankfully this season our only worry is not finishing lower than 17th. 

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

If you value a cup win over PL survival, sure - that makes sense.  I don't.

Otherwise there is a) an equal chance of getting injured in cup / league games, so why risk key players in the cup (which we have limited so far), and b) the 2nd string have the same opportunity to prove themselves in the League cup, which is now meeting PL sides anyway, and c) if we will 'definitely' rest players at some point, make it the cup games.

A cup would be great, but it's a pretty slim chance and IMO shouldn't distract from getting points in the league.  YMMV.

Dean Smith has stated that we want to go on a cup run. I value prem survival over a cup win but I think it is u likely we beat Liverpool even playing at full strength. It is possible I just don't really see much benefit in risking our players and not making sure they are in tip top shape for the games following which could decide our season. 

Brighton game will be massive.

If we can beat them we're suddenly on 11 pts after 9 games. It means we can afford to lose against Man City and Liverpool.

I think 1 point per game on average will be enough to stay up this season.

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we can beat them we're suddenly on 11 pts after 9 games. It means we can afford to lose against Man City and Liverpool.

I agree. If we can win against Brighton and we likely lose the following two it's not meltdown. 

Adds pressure though if we lose all three though

22 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Were you around for the MON years?  Then you would remember us starting the season on fire, MON naming the same 11 every week and just when a Champions league spot was within our grasp those 11 players would lose game after game due to fatigue. 

This board complained every week as MON named an unchanged side. Rotation is a necessity in the Prem even more now that every team is required to play a pressing style of defense. Not rotating players is definitely going to end up costing us. Thankfully this season our only worry is not finishing lower than 17th. 

I was. We have to remember we started the season playing in the UEFA cup in the those seasons (we went out in the first round mind but still 2 extra fixtures) we MON'S idea of rotation in the cups was resting 4 maybe 5 players in the league cup, and no rotation in the FA cup. We also played a high tempo aggressive counter attacking style that meant a lot of long sprints for the midfield and attack, and lots of ball chasing for the defence.

If it was only league games the first team was playing and we had higher possession stats we would've been alright. I also don't think that was the most professional of squads.

On 11/10/2019 at 08:47, villalad21 said:

Agree

...we need 3 more wins and 3 draws in 2019 from 12 games.

The best bets for those Wins includes Brighton.

We can lose against City, Liverpool, Wolves, United, Chelsea and Leicester without it mattering. Not that you will see that reaction on here !

As it happens I suspect we will get a couple of good results from those free hits, and a couple of poorer ones than hoped for from the so called “ easier”fixtures.

• Like 2

One controversial thing I will say is that if we do go down this year, selling Mings, McGinn and Grealish would cover the £100m+ shortfall.

Obviously the team would be gutted, but we're well stocked in defence and Marvellous and Luiz would still tear up the Championship.

Have to say, Mings and Heaton being England level doesn't feel much like the defence of a team destined for relegation. I think Norwich are in big trouble given their long list of injuries, NUFC well enough said there, aaaaaand Watford. Think we'll be ok. 

We’re only 8 games in and lot can happen yet but I have to agree with the above. I think Watford won’t survive this season, Norwich seem the most likely out of the promoted teams to drop, given their injuries and lack of investment. I hope that Newcastle will go down with them, I really do want to see Bruce keep his job throughout and take them down. That’d be sweet. Sweet potato sweet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enda said:

One controversial thing I will say is that if we do go down this year, selling Mings, McGinn and Grealish would cover the £100m+ shortfall.

Obviously the team would be gutted, but we're well stocked in defence and Marvellous and Luiz would still tear up the Championship.

I think they would be off too mate

11 hours ago, Jareth said:

Have to say, Mings and Heaton being England level doesn't feel much like the defence of a team destined for relegation. I think Norwich are in big trouble given their long list of injuries, NUFC well enough said there, aaaaaand Watford. Think we'll be ok. 

Throw in Engels who must be on the periphery of an international call up and we do look decent.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 15:46, villalad21 said:

Just wanted to post we are 4th in shots on target.

It's f*** unreal for a newly promoted side. If we can keep that up i'd be amazed.

I don't see why we won't be keeping that up, it's Smith's game and we will get better at implementing how he wants us to play the longer he works with the players.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I don't see why we won't be keeping that up, it's Smith's game and we will get better at implementing how he wants us to play the longer he works with the players.

And a strong defense to back it up so we don't leak to many goals. I know it is early days but our goal difference compared to those below us is fantastic. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

And a strong defense to back it up so we don't leak to many goals. I know it is early days but our goal difference compared to those below us is fantastic. 

When we were 18th I think we had a goal difference of close to -1, every team around us and in the places above us were closer to -7. In like 6 games, that showed we were doing something right and our position looked a little false because of it. Now we've got a positive goal diff, in the current table only teams in mid table have zero or positive goal difference.

On the defence, Mings will continue to improve, Engels is a very classy defender and it's early days in his career. I like Engels a lot, he's a clean shorts type, no fuss, gets there early. Plus Konsa we've not seen enough of in the first team but all the signs look good there too. We are light in cover for the full backs possibly, or at least we could strengthen further there. I like us with Marvelous in front of a four. Even at the back though it's early days and we can only get better, cut the mistakes out and we might go on a run of clean sheets.

• Like 1