Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, villalad21 said:

But we don't.

When will we?

See this is why i come across as negative to most people on this site. When i see a flaw and it's not getting addressed i get very frustrated.

It takes time, things like that in football take time to fix....to change natural mentality of doing something like with anything in life and it doesnt help that we can get a settled defence from losing Heaton to swithing between back three and back two central defenders because we couldnt find a combination that was working.  i still think we have an issue of not having the right player or two in defence and that wont change until the summer but Smith has tried different combinations to see if he can fix it until that time.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

You may have your issues with Dean but we probably had more moments to cheer than most of the bottom half of the table especially the bottom 7.  We've had the same amount of wins, we've had last minute goals, we've had a really good cup run, a great semi final(s) and we were at Wembley.  We are still have a great chance of surviving relegation and while you think we were heading for 20th I still think we would've got ourselves safe.  I think most Villa fans would've accepted 17th this season and we still have that ability to do that with 1/4 of the season left and we've had a cup final thrown in.  Yes the last run of games was awful but most of the season we were out of the bottom 3 but to be fair being in the bottom 3 has also coincided with having a game in hand.  Whether we wouldve beaten Sheff Utd is obviously a debatable point but it doesnt matter now as the season wont happen on the same terms and that's if it is completed at all.

I honestly dont know what you expected of this season, your expectations were obviously too high.  Yes we concede too many goals, and can Dean fix that, who knows but we can score goals, we have had some real highlights in the season....Leicester in the semi(s), the home game against Everton, the last minute winner against Watford to name but a few.  We were always going to lose over half our games because of the position we came from, we were always going to not be great which relates to our goal of 17th position target.

Yes there have been positives, it was only the last few results that got me really depressed and the spurs result was horrible as we were holding our own with them. Our forward play has been good, we have created chances it just that we are still gelling as a team and look a bit lightweight. The amount of goals conceding has been a big worry. But until the lockdown we were still in the mix and had a cup final at wembley which is not bad for a team promoted via the playoffs. I honesty think had  we had brought in an experienced quality defensive midfielder and Samatta in the summer we would be about 14th.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It takes time, things like that in football take time to fix....to change natural mentality of doing something like with anything in life and it doesnt help that we can get a settled defence from losing Heaton to swithing between back three and back two central defenders because we couldnt find a combination that was working.  i still think we have an issue of not having the right player or two in defence and that wont change until the summer but Smith has tried different combinations to see if he can fix it until that time.

Learning how to defend a corner shouldn't take long.

They can do that in Sunday league.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are talking about opposition who are world class players.  We need to get better, much better but your argument is silly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes there have been positives, it was only the last few results that got me really depressed and the spurs result was horrible as we were holding our own with them. Our forward play has been good, we have created chances it just that we are still gelling as a team and look a bit lightweight. The amount of goals conceding has been a big worry. But until the lockdown we were still in the mix and had a cup final at wembley which is not bad for a team promoted via the playoffs. I honesty think had  we had brought in an experienced quality defensive midfielder and Samatta in the summer we would be about 14th.

I personally think if we had brought Gary Cahill in to play with Mings and the rest of the team the same we would now be 14th.  We have many issues to resolve but that defensive partnership has frustrated me all season.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, midian said:

Noway you can hand Liverpool the title and relegate us,they havent won the league yet and we arent relegated yet all ifs and buts,has to be null and void only way it should be sorted.

The relegation on a PPG average is a threath by the PL to get clubs currently in the bottom 3 to accept to fall in line and accept finishing the season. Relegations is a demand from Sky/BT, as otherwise the 92 games left would have no real importance and not a good TV product.

Relegation on a PPG average hasn't been discussed if the season is voided , at least not officially, as an alternative. Because everything the PL has been discussing is how the season can be finished. They haven't been discussing what will happen if they have to void the season.

Which means it's not the PL that's pushing relegations. Should the government decide that PL football can't resume early enough for them to finishing the season, that's a whole new situation.

It would allow PL to claim force majeure vs Sky/BT and EFL and relegating clubs on a PPG is not within the PL rules. In their rules (rule C.1) the season is two games, home and away, vs all other teams. It doesn't say anything on what will happen if a season is voided. Which means they will only relegate if that's the least expensive outcome, meaning EFL will sue PL for more money that the three clubs relegated on a PPG average is suing them for.

The situation in the Championship is that no clubs currently have won promotion and no clubs are anywhere near. Which means a club like Leeds can't sue the PL, because they would need to prove that without reasonable doubt that they would have won enough games to ensure they got promoted. If the PL can't resume, then neither can the Championship. The EFL can, on the other side, sue the PL if they unilaterally decide not to accept promotions. But it's very hard to see how there is any major economical consequence for the EFL which clubs are in their league.

Which again makes a good situation for a settlement between the EFL and the PL. The EFL get the parachute money and that's it. If the PL is taken to court by clubs unfairly relegated, then those clubs will win. It won't happen overnight, so we will play in the Championship next season. But PL would then be responsible for lost revenue and would need to compensate that, and probably promote us as well should we win. I doubt they would be interested in that just so they can please EFL. When they have a very solid case if they don't. 

Edited by Silent_Bob
  • Like 1

It’s odd how neutral venues are not being discussed or considered at all for Championship games if football restarts? All the talk is that if football restarts then Championship clubs play BCD at their own stadiums. Why are neither the police or pundits raising this inconsistency? That police chief talked about the police being overstretched if they had to police the possibility of a few fans turning up. My question to the police is how busy are you now compared to three months ago? Because hardly anyone is out these days, shops & bars etc are all closed, roads are near empty. So what are you policing that makes you so overstretched? There is literally next to nothing for the police to do in the current climate, not when compared to the load they would have been under a few months ago in “normal” times. IMO there’s undoubtedly an agenda somewhere. I’d actually question the BCD scenario under the latest guidelines. Could stadiums not have fans back in with 2mtr distancing employed? Have gaps of two seats between supporters, you could still get somewhere in the region of 10-12k at Villa Park with social distancing in place. Fans would have to arrive at stadiums in plenty of time to filter in, and take a while getting back out. No refreshments to be open in stadiums at all, toilets only. Don’t take this as me advocating reasons for football to continue, as I’m not. I think football should be sidelined until it’s safe for every fan to attend stadiums again if we’re to complete the 2019-20 season. I’m merely pointing out some significant inconsistencies in all the talk surrounding project restart. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Bearing in mind it's already been stated that the season cannot be completed with fans, why has there not been any communication about season ticket refunds? 

They are surely due, has anyone read the terms and conditions? 

I understand theatres and concerts have already dealt with this as have the travel industry. 

I'm ok with it personally but there are many people struggling who could really use the money back.  They should surely be dealing with that? 

Read a summary on a Swedish fan site about how they are handling it in La Liga.

This is how the La Liga clubs compensate their members

The Corona pandemic has postponed the end of the 2019/20 season and now the clubs are looking to compensate the audience.

The risk of league games and European tournaments when the season resumes happens with games before empty stands are great. Not everyone who has purchased a season ticket or club membership, which in most cases gives access to the venue, will be able to follow their team. Some clubs have announced the compensation they give their members, others are thinking a little.

Real Betis: choose to deduct from next year's season prizes or return proportionately the five games remaining this year's season to year-round cardholders.

Sevilla CF: there are precedents from August 2018 when the club compensated with five percent those who had included in the subscription the return of the Spanish Super Cup against FC Barcelona , which after a decision by the federationwas played as a single match in Moroccan Tangier. A discount was given either to the season ticket 2018/19, or as coupons to the club shop, or to ticket purchases. The club is wondering how to do this time.

Getafe CF: anyone who purchased a year card or membership for this season may be automatically extended to the 2020/21 season. Does not include Copa del Rey or any European participation which is normally included in an annual membership. Getafe is located fifth in La Liga.

Atlétido de Madrid: discount twenty percent next season on this year's season ends before empty stands. Applies to La Liga as a full membership, which includes the Champions League.

Granada CF:returns in money what remains for this year's six remaining home games. Next season's prices are unaffected.

Real Valladolid: returns in cash what is left for this year's six remaining home games, offering the member three options: reclaim what is left of the season, settle on next year's subscription or waive the compensation.

Club Celta de Vigo: returns in cash what remains for this year's six remaining home games. No decision has been made regarding the 2020/21 season as Celta is in seventh place risk of degradation and the Estadio de Balaídos must be renovated.

RCD Espanyol : has contacted its members to announce the intention to compensate but has not made a decision. Last in La Liga and there is risk of degradation.

Real Sociedad: reimburses twenty percent of the season ticket even if the league ends before games with crowds.

CD Alavés: Proportionally returns what is left of the season ticket price.

SD Eibar: Proportionally returns what is left of the season ticket price. Further compensation is provided for the match against Real Sociedad on March 10, so far the only match played without a crowd in La Liga. Those who want will be offered to be able to shop for money in shops in the city of Eibar. In that case, the club will push for additional money.

Athletic Club de Bilbao:those who made the request have their money back. Study further ways to compensate members. Strongest financial club in La Liga.

UD Levante: no decision made but the club assumes that the club is obliged per team to return the six remaining home matches. Here are a legal gordinsk knot built: 14,610 of the 22,500 season ticket holders the season 2019/20 did not pay for membership when they got the season pass for free as a thank you for having been in all home games last season. The club understands that these need not be compensated.

CD Leganés, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid , Valencia CF, VillarrealCF, AC Osasuna and Real Mallorca : studying ways to compensate, message will be left in due course

https://www.svenskafans.com/spanien/sa-kompenserar-la-liga-klubbarna-sina-medlemmar-614880

It's google translated but anyway.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

wherever you reside, i have no doubt that you sit there chucking at these gullible villa fans biting on your posts. it's getting silly mate...please stop trolling the site

but yet i find myself biting! so, on the small chance that you're actually serious, how do you think that a sunday league team that supposedly knows how to defend a corner would fare against a premier league side? serious question

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

wherever you reside, i have no doubt that you sit there chucking at these gullible villa fans biting on your posts. it's getting silly mate...please stop trolling the site

The San Francisco Fulham fan club 😉

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

Don't forget blasting the body with massive ultraviolet light  - getting it inside the body through the skin, or you know, all the other common ways.

Actually, that is already a treatment called UV-B Phototherapy which is controversial and currently used as a HIV treatment, though it's not a treatment that many scientists agree with. Regards Disinfectant, the UV is used as a disinfectant in the body. Also, there is something called Stabilisied Chlorine Dioxide treatment used for cancer. It's actually a google patent. So in actuality, despite how he worded it, Trump was actually not bulling when he mention the treatments.

Edited by stewiek2

24 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Actually, that is already a treatment, though it's not a treatment that many scientists agree with. Regards Disinfectant, the UV is used as a disinfectant in the body. Also, there is something called Stabilisied Chlorine Dioxide treatment used for cancer. It's actually a google patent. So in actuality, despite how he worded it, Trump was actually not bulling when he mention the treatments.

You listened to him, do you seriously expect people to believe that’s what he meant, he understood and what he was driving at.  The expert was talking about disinfecting surfaces and that reduces the life of the virus and then Trump talked about injecting disinfectant.  The way he then asked the expert to look into it means it wasn’t something that anybody has spoken to him before about or he has info on.  

He said something incredibly stupid, dangerous even given the inference and vulnerable people who are likely to follow his advice and I saw right wingers desperately trying to find something to try and back it up.

I have no bias on Trump as I said, given all his gaffs and lies he’s actually amusing to follow but he doesn’t impact me directly and I couldn’t care less about American politics.  

So while I understand your point, that’s not what Trump meant....he was a fool, a dangerous fool.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I personally think if we had brought Gary Cahill in to play with Mings and the rest of the team the same we would now be 14th.  We have many issues to resolve but that defensive partnership has frustrated me all season.

I very much doubt it , but , had he joined us ,  he wouldn't have been able to foul Jack in the Palace match and subsequently earn a  free kick for doing it , so even the 1 point would have put us safe if they went with PPG :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

Saw a stat last night that if PPG had have been used to work out the final table after 29 games of the last 10 seasons, then 10 teams would have been relegated that weren't relegated, and Leicester City wouldn't have won the title.

any idea where that was?

• Thanks 1

So it seems the Government have basically shirked their responsibility regards making anything at all clear to anybody. This does not surprise me as i have no doubt they actually (behind the veil of concern for safety) require the next wave to get infected so as to increase the "Herd immunity". Speaking of Herds it's little bit i guess like when Mad Cow disease required a load of cows to be sacrificed for the overall good.

So a load of baloney is published about everyone now going back to work and to "stay alert" & "Keep social distancing where possible" etc.

Of course, as was obvious, immediately tube trains are crammed with selfish animals pushing each other out of the way to squeeze body to body through doors which open momentarily to allow them onto packed commuter trains. All with no supervision, 2 meter markings or staff to enforce it anywhere to be seen.

So,as was the exact same case with the Spanish Flu, i await with baited breath the second & even worse wave of this horrible virus. 

So the Governments statement that football games could continue "Provided there was no increase in cases" should surely be nothing more than one of a multitude of brainwashing tools to fool people into getting back to normality & increasing Herd immunity whilst signalling the end of life for many poor folk.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££........................................Shame on them all.