Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I wonder if say Arsenal at the Emirates have it issues with returning Sponsorship cash if games are not played there.Thats before we get into the other sponsorship deals teams have at grounds ,even with no fans those sponsors would expect their brands to be shown on TV 

6 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I've seen this on here a few times and don't understand why that gets traction? If you scrap GW 29 then we still have the same problem as every team played during it. We can't just scrape our game vs Leicester from their point of view (a win) and not from ours? us, Sheffield, City, Arsenal would still all be on a game less than every one else. The only way that that specific scenario would work is if they scrap the game week we didn't play, which would in effect relegate Watford and West Ham(I believe) and we would be safe. 

That'll do pal, I wish we could just do what ever benefits us but we ain't getting away with it, wish Prince William would pull rank and sort this mess out🙂

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I've seen this on here a few times and don't understand why that gets traction? If you scrap GW 29 then we still have the same problem as every team played during it. We can't just scrape our game vs Leicester from their point of view (a win) and not from ours? us, Sheffield, City, Arsenal would still all be on a game less than every one else. The only way that that specific scenario would work is if they scrap the game week we didn't play, which would in effect relegate Watford and West Ham(I believe) and we would be safe. 

Scrap the **** out of that game week then 👌

• Like 3

There's a very good chance that Southampton, Newcastle and even Everton would be against playing at neutral grounds, as a couple of bad results and they could be back in the relegation fight, so no point in them voting in favour of something that puts them at risk, even if the risk might seem very small, no point in them taking any chances, they'd never forgive themselves if they were to go down knowing it might not have happened if they'd have voted against playing at neutral grounds.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Our competitors have similar fixtures.  We only need to fluke some results and we know we can score goals, just stopping them is the problem.  I think we have just as much chance as the teams around us to survive

Brighton have an awful run in and under normal circumstances I’d back us to finish above them. However when you factor in behind close doors, how long it’s been since teams trained/played, neutral venues etc it’s an absolute lottery.

• Like 3

TV money is crucial for many clubs, but even for the elites, matchday revenue does play an important role for the elite clubs with gigantic wage bills to pay. Why would clubs vote to lose money? How will they decide to compensate the millions lost from matchday revenue? It's not practical for a majority of clubs to back this.

There's another factor: the second wave of the virus. How can clubs vote on this principle of neutral grounds if it means next season is impacted? That will result in further financial loss. Not to mention the prospect of Brexit.

Voiding relegation now will also save the clubs likely hit by it in 20/21. This will have ramifications beyond this season and most clubs are very aware of it.

What happens if a second wave hits in the winter and we lose 4 months of a season? How do we make up the additonal games? There are so many variables that will continue to influence the outcomes until a vaccine is found.

How will these supposed 'neutral venues' work? If say Tottenhams ground is chosen as one of the venue's are they then not allowed to play there or are they still allowed the 'home advantage' denied to other clubs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Voiding the season.

Liverpool get's handed the title. Baggies and Leeds get's rewarded promotion.

We'll get handed relegation. F**k off. We have to avoid this at any cost. Don't care if i have to wait 10 months. Just finish the season.

Maybe your belove Fulham can be team 23 for promotion ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

You're probably right but as the Palace chairman said if that restarting the game proves  insurmountable now then we may be in for a very, very extended period of not being able to play and that has huge ramifications for the game. 

maybe this is what football needs. too many people have stole from football in recent times and football badly needs a reality check long term

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lp_villa830 said:

How will these supposed 'neutral venues' work? If say Tottenhams ground is chosen as one of the venue's are they then not allowed to play there or are they still allowed the 'home advantage' denied to other clubs?

I read earlier that Liverpool vs Everton they will pick Manchester for that game which seems really pointless

If they relegate us and we decide to mount some sort of legal challenge, then that could mess up our preperations for next season as we won't know for sure which division we'd be playing in. Which is another reason for not relegating clubs for any other reason than that they're one of the three worst teams after playing every other team in the divison home and away.

Form what I can gather you play in the furthest ground in your region - the idea being that you're far enough from home to put off fans but near enough to not have to get flights or take really long journeys. So I'd imagine we'd play our home games in Leicester, the Liverpool teams would play in Manchester and vice versa - it really doesn't make a great deal of sense - if you're doing neutral behind closed doors,  why pick the largest stadiums in the country?

If you did it at Spurs training ground for example - there's an inbuilt facility where the Spurs squad and staff could live throughout the period in five star luxury, there are facilities in place to carry out the testing and there are enough pitches for training and games. As things stand, Spurs players will end up having to go there during the week, then a hotel next to The London Stadium the night before match days, they'll have to be tested somewhere which might not end up being at the ground - it's just strange. Premier league training grounds are the absolute perfect location for neutral, behind closed doors games, they have everything you'll need in one place - but lets use Wembley instead eh?

Still the only thing which makes it "as fair as is possible" to more clubs than any of the other options is to void with no relegation but promote teams & award Euro places on PPG based on PPG for home games played & PPG for away games played & then totaled. It has to be how it's done as that is the only option which reflects the number of home or away fixtures clubs have left.

As for the extra games caused by a slightly larger division well that would simply have to be worked out at the time. At the end of the day if they can play at all then it would just mean a hectic couple of months somewhere once the outbreak is more under control. That could easily be slotted in if the League cup were cancelled or only played in single legs with no two legged affairs as has been mooted on here before. Certainly a better option than trying to force farcical games at neutral venues whilst the Pandemic is still at it's high point.

If the games remain unplayable it really makes no difference anyway does it? If you can't play a 44/46 game season than you can't play a 38 one either surely?

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

PM's statement seems to put the final nail in the coffin that this season can be completed.

Yeah I agree, that’s how I heard it.  The only caveat is if they have some deal behind the scenes about professional football.

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah I agree, that’s how I heard it.  The only caveat is if they have some deal behind the scenes about professional football.

Politically it simply wouldn't be worth it, so I can't see that happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

D6qjESdWkAAw1QG.jpg

"Why did I set up that Villatalk account. Oh shit, I forgot the Bladestalk account as well. Oh **** I also had a Derby forum account and a Norwich one.  Suppose I can tell them all about how great Leeds were back in the 70s"

• Haha 1