Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Weirdly I'm the opposite, I really have missed football.  I hate the BS of players salaries, the dominance of the big clubs because of money, FFP is biased, VAR is rubbish.........yeah all that is a given but watching the quality and pace the PL football has I miss.  While my feelings have changed over the years where on the day of the game I would wake up and  the whole day would be consumed with the game and emotions after the game would decide whether I would be in a mood or would be out celebrating.  As life passes me by I end up having too much personal stuff to do before and after games but still those few hours before the game, the game and after really bring out my passion for the Villa.

But just in general, I love movies, reading, concerts and comedy gigs but general tv is just the worst.  I just cant get into these shows from BGT to Eastenders and all that, so my down time at night and nice Sunday afternoons, especially in the winter is put on a game and defocus from everything, I love it.

In this downtime I'm a little lost, watched all the movies and box sets I wanted and read a number of books, I've done DIY and realise I am the worst DIY person ever but I cant wait for footy to be back.  Obviously I dont think football should be back any time soon and the health of the NHS and first responders are above everything else but when it is safe (and I'm not convinced about BCD but would be wise for next season) that football comes back and I am looking forward to it and hopefully Villa still in the big time.  It will also mean I get off this damn website more because I have been on it far more than I like.  It's a brilliant website and the majority on here I love hearing and seeing the different views but I lose hours on it over this lockdown period and feel personally I have been on too much not just this website but my other social media platforms so I need football back...

Starting to run out of movies to watch on Netflix... wouldn't mind football back.

If we get relegated we get relegated. At least we'll win more in the Championship. I enjoyed last season more.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I honestly dont know what you expected of this season, your expectations were obviously too high.  Yes we concede too many goals, and can Dean fix that, who knows but we can score goals, we have had some real highlights in the season....Leicester in the semi(s), the home game against Everton, the last minute winner against Watford to name but a few.  We were always going to lose over half our games because of the position we came from, we were always going to not be great which relates to our goal of 17th position target.

I expected us to be more competitive tbh.

In many games we simply haven't turned up and been outworked. That's not acceptable.

We fail to do the basics. Most goals conceded from set pieces and it doesn't seem to be addressed.

It's been as bad as we've seen under Lambert this season if not worse.

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In many games we simply haven't turned up and been outworked. That's not acceptable.

We fail to do the basics. Most goals conceded from set pieces and it doesn't seem to be addressed.

Have a day off - we might have been bad but no way as bad as under Lambert.

We’ve been naive yes, spurs, arsenal, liverpool etc playing well but getting nothing from it.

Yes we have been poor Southampton and Bournmouth  and likes of Brighton and West Ham at home but we’ve played well at times and come up short.

a promoted team will always swing from good performances to bad ones due to inconsistent teams hence being a relegation threatened team but to say we’ve been worse than some of the lambert stuff I fail to see.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

we might have been bad but no way as bad as under Lambert.

We beat Liverpool under Lambert.

Do you remember that back heel pass from Benteke to Weimann? That was a great moment for the club! And that was at Anfield!

Winning away against Liverpool. That's a decent achievement 

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Do you remember that back heel pass from Benteke to Weimann? That was a great moment for the club! And that was at Anfield!

Did u see that liverpool team that day compared to today’s....have a day off, don’t think I’ve seen a positive post from you on here 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Did u see that liverpool team that day compared to today’s

They still had very good players such as Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling.

We were massive underdogs but we beat them.

We could do with a big scalp this season... when will it ever come? Will it come?

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Winning away against Liverpool. That's a decent achievement 

We already beat Leicester this season, a team more successful than that Liverpool team. 

That Liverpool team were garbage. A good win but nothing special 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We already beat Leicester this season, a team more successful than that Liverpool team. 

That Liverpool team were garbage. A good win but nothing special 

In the Cup. Sadly that doesn't help us in the league.

Why can't we perform in the league? Can't they handle the pressure?

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We could do with a big scalp this season... when will it ever come? Will it come?

I mean come on just look at that starting eleven compared to this season, not a chance that team would put up anything against the liverpool of today 

9D2AA66C-E049-4CC3-B3E0-9A3527BDD590.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree the goals conceded from set pieces has been awful and yet we see no improvement but in no way is this as bad as the Lambert season.........it's just not!

As for everything you said, I would've say some players I dont think has turned up in some games but I definitely wouldnt say the whole team in any game.  We, on the whole, are playing teams that are better than us, haven been together a lot longer than us, have previous Premier League experience and thus sometimes when you say we failed at basics the opposition outplayed us and you arent giving the opposition the credit they deserve.  We were always going to get a beating occasionally this season.

We've won more home games than any of the bottom 7 and we still have a game in hand there.  Our away form has been awful but looking our recent history and backing up my memory well before Smith, we've been terrible away from home.

I think you are just far too negative about the Villa generally, we all want the best for Villa but some perception needs to happen.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think you are just far too negative about the Villa generally, we all want the best for Villa but some perception needs to happen.

It's not about being negative or positive. I want us to improve.

When we see the same mistakes every week we have to ask questions.

We can't as fans just play it down and hide behind the promoted team blanket forever.

If we want to survive and thrive in this league we have to expect at least to do the basics right.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Just a note, Sterling wasnt the Sterling we know today.....yes he went for big money to Man City but did anybody think he would become the player he is today.  He wasnt all that at Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a note, Sterling wasnt the Sterling we know today.....yes he went for big money to Man City but did anybody think he would become the player he is today.  He wasnt all that at Liverpool.

Yes it was his first season i believe.

Wasn't as productive as he is now but was still a danger.

Still think he would walk into most teams.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not about being negative or positive. I want us to improve.

When we see the same mistakes every week we have to ask questions.

We can't as fans just play it down and hide behind the promoted team blanket forever.

If we want to survive and thrive in this league we have to expect at least to do the basics right.

but we have only just been promoted....that's the point.  We had to replace major parts of our squad that has been talked to death on this website so we had to buy quantity over quality and this season was only ever about surviving.  This would then provide a platform to then buy adding a few quality additions which would move us up the league.  You seem to be expecting football manager game turn around, which doesnt happen.  We arent hiding from the promoted team blanket forever, we are still in the first season up and 3/4 into the season.

Yes we need to fix basics but maybe some of our players just dont fit....we have brought options for defence but some are long term projects like Konsa and Hause and yet you wouldve thought we wouldve had a good defensive partnership develop but so far it hasnt worked but that happens a lot at other clubs as well but highlighted more at us because of where we are at.  January isnt a good time to buy plus we had to sort out another striker and GK, plus we needed strength in midfielder, unfortunately we got Drinkwater.  Just these things take time and despite him losing form just before his injury, I really feel like we lost a major cog for us when he got injured and maybe we would be safer if he hadnt had got injured.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes it was his first season i believe.

Wasn't as productive as he is now but was still a danger.

Still think he would walk into most teams.

I'm not so sure, I remember being more excited about our Adama Traore at the time.........similar speed, both direct but both very unproductive but both had potential but difference I thought was Traore's dribbling ability.  Traore was so raw at that time, which ended up being a downfall at his time at Villa but I was more excited about him that Sterling who looked a lesser version.  So both danger's at the time but more in danger of doing nothing after good runs was the thought.

As for walking into most teams....maybe, maybe not...it's easy in hindsight but at the time I wasnt fussed about him.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes we need to fix basics but maybe some of our players just dont fit

But we don't.

When will we?

See this is why i come across as negative to most people on this site. When i see a flaw and it's not getting addressed i get very frustrated.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But we don't.

When will we?

See this is why i come across as negative to most people on this site. When i see a flaw and it's not getting addressed i get very frustrated.

No it comes across as negative because you then make the same post 40 times a day thinking Villa management read villatalk. 

We get it the first time

• Like 3