Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I wouldn't be surprised if all this talk, they just ended up doing what the Bristol Rovers captain was talking about in that leaked meeting with his teammates, in other words cancelling relegation and promoting three teams from every division, even that's not completely fair, but is the way that avoids the most unfairness.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'm sure new rules will be put in place for future seasons whatever is decided this season. I believe now that football will restart even if they vote against neutral grounds. The govt wants sport to continue for the morale of the country and will probably compromise over neutral grounds. If it works in Germany they will use it as a  blueprint. 

I’m still not convinced it will resume.  There is no plan at all, they are still miles from just the basics nevermind any detail, dates or agreement.  I think they are just kicking the can down the road until they cancel it.  There just seems no desire from any of them to get conversations, never mind agreement going.  They have meetings every couple of weeks with virtually nothing discussed and definitely no details agreed.  There is so much that needs to be agreed, from training, match fitness, games, venues, personnel from non-football activities, agreement with refs, players, managers, PPE, testing....we go on and on.  

This isn’t going to resume, we are May 11th already, this is almost like creating tournament with no time to arrange.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m still not convinced it will resume.  There is no plan at all, they are still miles from just the basics nevermind any detail, dates or agreement.  I think they are just kicking the can down the road until they cancel it.  There just seems no desire from any of them to get conversations, never mind agreement going.  They have meetings every couple of weeks with virtually nothing discussed and definitely no details agreed.  There is so much that needs to be agreed, from training, match fitness, games, venues, personnel from non-football activities, agreement with refs, players, managers, PPE, testing....we go on and on.  

This isn’t going to resume, we are May 11th already, this is almost like creating tournament with no time to arrange.

Ok the only thing agreed today was that players can extend their contracts until the end of the season. 

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Ok the only thing agreed today was that players can extend their contracts until the end of the season. 

Kind of proves my point.  I might be completely wrong but just feels that way.

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Key word being can

They could do that any way i think, 1 month rolling deal, no one does though for obvious reasons

David Silva for example, City are doing nothing in the PL, he's minted thanks to his existing deal, City offer him an extra month, does he take it at the risk of getting injured or sick or does he just walk away sit out for a month and then sign for someone else? The decision is not man city's it's the players, if he doesn't fancy playing in the conditions he doesn't come back 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Key word being can

They could do that any way i think, 1 month rolling deal, no one does though for obvious reasons

David Silva for example, City are doing nothing in the PL, he's minted thanks to his existing deal, City offer him an extra month, does he take it at the risk of getting injured or sick or does he just walk away sit out for a month and then sign for someone else? The decision is not man city's it's the players, if he doesn't fancy playing in the conditions he doesn't come back 

Also the other way around that a club could not pick up the extra month, then it means the player is a free agent but can’t sign to another club because of the release rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Also the other way around that a club could not pick up the extra month, then it means the player is a free agent but can’t sign to another club because of the release rules.

I think realistically too agents will be looking for a bumper 1 month package 

• Like 1

Okay. Scenario time:

Neutral grounds are abandoned and teams are allowed to play in their own stadiums. Who pays for:

1) Testing for coach drivers (ensuring they are negative as to not pass on the virus to players and non-playing staff and vice versa, on top of their immediate families and households which assumes said drivers are not shielding or self-isolating). What's the turnover for this? We know that drivers, especially BAME drivers, are at a greater risk of dying from the virus.

2) Who scrubs down and disinfects each coach? Same issue as number one for non-playing staff.

3) Which police forces will be involved on any given match day? This includes the British Transport Police. That's a huge ask. Especially when it involes Liverpool and other crucial fixtures.

4) Testing non-playing personnel. What's the protocol? See point one for catering, journalists, medical, security and other personnel.

5) Who cleans the changing rooms? What steps are being taken to protect them and test them? Again, defer to point one.

6) What of physios? Face masks at all times? What's being done to test them?

7) Referees and their assistants. What time frame can you select officials and test them? That's pre and post-game.

Even if you self-isolate everyone in the above categories, who wants to be away from their families for 8 weeks? It's a business yes, and people should be paid, and there are great difficulties and uncertainties ahead, but how can this work?

Will the Welsh government consider football essiential? Otherwise, Championship teams entering Wales could be breaking the law. Again, another logistic I've heard nothing about.

All of this does not even factor in what goes on between players on the pitch. Assuming that it follows the German model.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

In the case of players that are on loan, I heard that is dependent on both the player and his parent club, agreeing to extend the loan. In the case of Henderson for example, would Manchester United be that willing to help Sheffield United, with whom they're competing for a CL place by extending his contract?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Ah Neutral venues now reconsidered because clubs will lose money from sponsorship not playing at home ...

which is probably more true and wont get the same backlash than when the bottom 6 teams were against neutral venues for sporting integrity reasons

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think the idea that protects most people's interests is stopping the league now, having no relegation, electing Liverpool champions, inviting 2 teams from the Championship, giving the parachute payments to the football league and giving more games to Sky and BT next season to show.  You've got basically 3 months to build up the players' fitness, sort out contracts and transfers, hopefully an antibody test will be ready by then and possibly better treatments too.  It just makes sense to me, even if they did decide they had to start a new season behind closed doors or even neutral venues, at least they would start off under the new rules rather than having the rulebook thrown out the window with 9 or 10 games left which would be utterly farcical.

It’s always been the right answer but money just keeps getting in the way!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

which is probably more true and wont get the same backlash than when the bottom 6 teams were against neutral venues for sporting integrity reasons

We should pi$$ them off now and say we’ll only play at neutral venues 😂

Not advantageous to us at all but would amuse me.

Edited by nick76

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think the idea that protects most people's interests is stopping the league now, having no relegation, electing Liverpool champions, inviting 2 teams from the Championship, giving the parachute payments to the football league and giving more games to Sky and BT next season to show.  You've got basically 3 months to build up the players' fitness, sort out contracts and transfers, hopefully an antibody test will be ready by then and possibly better treatments too.  It just makes sense to me, even if they did decide they had to start a new season behind closed doors or even neutral venues, at least they would start off under the new rules rather than having the rulebook thrown out the window with 9 or 10 games left which would be utterly farcical.

For the life of me i cannot understand why this is not being done.

Instead they are constantly pumping out the ridiculous PPG thing as a solution if/when the season gets stopped or deemed unplayable which is grotesquely unfair on those clubs, undoubtedly us as one of them, who would lose out.

What on Earth is the issue here? Why not just decide the title & promotions on PPG but void relegation?

The only excuse i've heard is this "integrity of the game" nonsense when in reality the PPG option would go more against that than the no relegation option! ...It's Barmy.

Of course it was mentioned that Sky would not accept no relegation "because it wouldn't be exciting for viewers" well so ******g what! It's a PANDEMIC for goodness sake who gives a stuff that the excitement level for "some" viewers would be slightly reduced. Idiots. In light of whats going on that has to be the most pathetic reason ever to unfairly relegate teams for.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1