Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

See, I don’t think we’ll be relegated.  This is all for show at the moment because of money and they won’t relegated based on positions now.  

I think the only way we can get relegated is if we complete the season and fail, which I still think we would climb out of the relegation zone.

Unfortunately @nick76 most of the evidence around us is pointing to some sort of finish to the season, whether games are played or not. My belief is that if enough clubs vote to block the restart then we’ll end up with positions being awarded as it stands now. I’m certain now that positions will be awarded for the 2019/20 season no matter if games are resumed or not. The wagons are beginning to circle. 

7 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Unfortunately @nick76 most of the evidence around us is pointing to some sort of finish to the season, whether games are played or not. My belief is that if enough clubs vote to block the restart then we’ll end up with positions being awarded as it stands now. I’m certain now that positions will be awarded for the 2019/20 season no matter if games are resumed or not. The wagons are beginning to circle. 

I don’t agree, I refer back to sidcow’s comments.  It’s easier to argue we haven’t failed yet than to argue that Leeds and West Brom have suceeded.  Plus they are more likely to look after incumbents than outsiders....Villa are on the inside at the moment talking as one of the PL members whereas Leeds aren’t.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

if the season ended and relegation was confirmed i dont think any of the bottom 3 could have any complaints. we can argue the game in hand till the cows come home but the current bottom 3 are the worst in the league IMO. we've been abysmal for a lot of the season and deserve relegation if that's the decision that's made. i'd LOVE it if we are handed a get out of jail free card though

6 of our last 10 games are at home, and 5 of our 7 wins have been at home. If its restarted in a neutral venue with no crowd then that advantage has gone completely. Smith's sides are known for being streaky, ok I wouldn't expect 10 wins in a row again but it is not impossible to have imagined us going on a run to just about stay up before the lockdown esp with Super John Mcginn coming back.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree, I refer back to sidcow’s comments.  It’s easier to argue we haven’t failed yet than to argue that Leeds and West Brom have suceeded.  Plus they are more likely to look after incumbents than outsiders....Villa are on the inside at the moment talking as one of the PL members whereas Leeds aren’t.

The 'integrity of the league being maintained ' means champions elected, European places allocated and teams relegated, it how its decided thats the issue. We should push to play our game in hand , if we don't we are down .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

The 'integrity of the league being maintained ' means champions elected, European places allocated and teams relegated, it how its decided thats the issue. We should push to play our game in hand , if we don't we are down .

Nope! Sorry just don’t see it happening...the ideas change day by day of what’s going to happen.  The chances of the season finishing is extremely low we know that but no way will they relegate based on current standings or ppg.

The integrity of the league thing is just a myth now any way this ends.

They are just going to finish this the least painful way, which means season ends now, no relegation.

7 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I fail to see where the integrity is in that unless it is played in full in front of fans with teams having the home advantage they were supposed to have & enduring the away disadvantages they were going to have having benefitted from the home advantage in the reverse fixture. 

Anything else and there is no integrity regardless so they are talking hogwash. If they relegate teams based on PPG, positions as they stand or any BCD matches played meaning teams lost their crucial home advantage then there simply is no "integrity" in the outcome.

I agree, it's just not going to pass the smell test.

Plus why does integrity mean that places have to be assigned based on current position, I dont know how that means it has integrity.  If anything it means it has lack of integrity because the original aim of the league is for teams to play everybody home and away so fairness all around and the winner of this is deemed the best team in the land and winners of the league (and same for every other position).  People can verbally argue that we are one of the worst teams in the league but based on the above criteria we havent proved that we are one of the worst three teams in the league (perception isnt reality).  Therefore to relegate is to lose the integrity of the league based on the founding principles of the league.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

I think some ppl here are getting too hung up on the word, “integrity”. How you define integrity is almost certainly different to how those at the head of the Premier League do, and to where it applies! Assume the worst and work back from there. You’ll be less disappointed when the final result rolls in!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

The German Sports Minister has said that if any member of a team is infected, the whole club has to go into quarantine and any team they have played as well for 2 weeks. Just takes one player to stop the season

Germany has tried its best but you can see more delays and eventual cancellation once we get to 1st June, are Koln even training atm with three of their players self isolating?

So depressing to hear all of next season could be BCD. It is the worst case option but let's hope we can get at least some crowds back from January in all leagues. If next season was behind closed doors for every single game I wouldn't really care what division we were in nor would I really want the season to start.

There’s no integrity of the game if it was to finish behind closed doors, Or at a neutral venues, as every team hasn’t had a fair home advantage with fans being allowed in, they need to just null and void it

I think playing at a neutral venue the bottom 8 could all be a little nervous about the premiership existence. Would that be enough to vote against relegation? maybe some of those from 6th down might look at the finances  and say well who brings some big groups of supporters to us when we play them..........surely we would be one they would want to keep if given the option.

I know, being a Villa fan all my life, that if the worse can happen it will to the Villa so there is a good chance we will be relegated but if I wasnt optimistic generally then I would've been put in a mental home a long time ago because it can be completely depressing being a Villa fan sometimes because the world does seem against us a lot.  I see a lot of you that claim to be "realistic" but to me seem extremely pessimistic and I do wonder how you survive being a Villa fan because it would destroy me.

We were 19th with a game in hand and on a shocking performance run.  We have seen how teams turn it around or slide the other way and we had ten games left.  A sneaky win, a bit of a run for us or a complete collapse by another team and we could've saved our self from relegation.  Additionally to that John McGinn was virtually back and one of our main weaknesses was midfield, which allowed teams too easy through it straight to our defense who were vulnerable.  McGinn would've added to our midfield immensely, especially with his fresh energy at this time of the season when other teams players are starting to run out of energy.  We had a game in so who knows what would've happened and now we'll never know.  I still think we would've survived and hence why I think relegation would be a travesty if that is what is decided.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

if the season ended and relegation was confirmed i dont think any of the bottom 3 could have any complaints. we can argue the game in hand till the cows come home but the current bottom 3 are the worst in the league IMO. we've been abysmal for a lot of the season and deserve relegation if that's the decision that's made. i'd LOVE it if we are handed a get out of jail free card though

What a ridiculous statement. 

Firstly you can argue the game in hand till the cows come home and then after they are bedded down for the night because its a valid point.  

Secondly you talk as if the bottom 3 are cut adrift.  Bournemouth are level on points with West Ham and Watford, one win could take them to 15th.  As it could for us if we'd have won our game in hand instead of playing a cup final. 

It's incredibly tight down there and anyone below Southampton are right in the thick of it.  Anyone below Palace in 11th could still fall into it without too much going wrong. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think some ppl here are getting too hung up on the word, “integrity”. How you define integrity is almost certainly different to how those at the head of the Premier League do, and to where it applies! Assume the worst and work back from there. You’ll be less disappointed when the final result rolls in!

Hang on a minute! It's "them" who keep using the word "Integrity" not us lol!

So maybe it's them who are too hung up on integrity & if so they maybe need to look up the meaning of the word prior to using it in the way that they are! 

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I say, no, you cant relegate us, there are just as many if not more reasons not to relegate us and we wont stand for it.  If Villa fans and Bmouth and Norwich accept it on these boards then there is more of chance that we will be relegated but if fans say no, then less chance.  Even if it only makes 1% difference it could be the difference. The PL have looked bad through this, they are going to take the easiest path.  If we make it hard and throughout this website and others like it, with other teams then it will be harder.  We know other people look at this board and gauge reaction. If I keep seeing words like, well we have been one of the worst teams or we deserve to go down if they decide that....then what chance have we got

So no, relegation based on current situation is not acceptable.

LOL...trust me, no one from the premier league powers that be will be looking on here, much less giving 2 **** what we want/think

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What a ridiculous statement. 

Firstly you can argue the game in hand till the cows come home and then after they are bedded down for the night because its a valid point.  

Secondly you talk as if the bottom 3 are cut adrift.  Bournemouth are level on points with West Ham and Watford, one win could take them to 15th.  As it could for us if we'd have won our game in hand instead of playing a cup final. 

It's incredibly tight down there and anyone below Southampton are right in the thick of it.  Anyone below Palace in 11th could still fall into it without too much going wrong. 

well it's my opinion. the optimism gauge on here was about as low as it could be before the virus hit. reputable journos had smith to be sacked if we lost to chelsea. i know it was a long time ago but i remember that southampton away game...that was a side destined for the drop. calling off the season, or playing it with relegation scrapped is our only hope IMO.

yes everything you say COULD happen...my opinion is that we are one of the 3 worst sides in the league, and the other 2 are in the relegation zone with us and my point simply is that if we end up in the championship next season, it wont be because of some ridiculous expected points calculation, it will be because us, bournemouth and norwich have been largely crap this season

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

LOL...trust me, no one from the premier league powers that be will be looking on here, much less giving 2 **** what we want/think

If you think competent businesses arent looking at what their clients are thinking then you are deluding yourself.  Football is unique in two ways, one they have loyalty from their customer at levels few other companies/industries have even the likes of Apple and secondly they have access for free to what their clients are thinking.  I'm sure they have a intern collating summaries of what the websites like this are saying to the likes of Purslow, even Purslow glancing once in a while or somebody senior at the Villa.  It's been done at every company I've worked at, understanding from our customers directly or secretively/indirectly what they are thinking.  Whether they agree or do something with it is a different thing, that part I agree but like anything if there is enough consensus then you are more likely to see action than inaction by businesses.

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well it's my opinion. the optimism gauge on here was about as low as it could be before the virus hit. reputable journos had smith to be sacked if we lost to chelsea. i know it was a long time ago but i remember that southampton away game...that was a side destined for the drop. calling off the season, or playing it with relegation scrapped is our only hope IMO.

yes everything you say COULD happen...my opinion is that we are one of the 3 worst sides in the league, and the other 2 are in the relegation zone with us and my point simply is that if we end up in the championship next season, it wont be because of some ridiculous expected points calculation, it will be because us, bournemouth and norwich have been largely crap this season

I think if the Virus never happened The Blades would have slapped us at VP and DS would be under severe pressure.

In our last games we were bad beyond belief. Some of the worst i've ever seen of a Villa team.

We are just delaying the inevitable if it get's voided. I see no signs in this team getting any better over time. It's Paul Lambert all over again.