Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Absolutely and I think that's what our club statement was kind of aimed at. 

My worry is that we might have made this statement because background talks might be going on about keeping that money within the PL to offset the loss of TV revenue from a cancelled season. 

How much does the 3 years of parachute payments for 3 clubs come to? I bet it's a hell of a figure. 

Big numbers that would be huge to lower league clubs

4A7B0B6C-1D8A-4C63-A3B4-AB1BC1978608.jpeg

Edited by nick76

Very against us having to play any games behind closed doors at home. Especially as the teams we are playing at home have had the advantage of playing us at their place with fans to cheer them on. (I get that every team will be in the same position). 

Playing behind closed doors is used as a punishment. 

Season needs to be scrapped, that’s all there is to it. Shame for Liverpool and others but, nobody saw this craziness coming! 

Stupid really that there is no disaster plan in place to account for this type of thing. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Very against us having to play any games behind closed doors at home. Especially as the teams we are playing at home have had the advantage of playing us at their place with fans to cheer them on. (I get that every team will be in the same position). 

Season needs to be scrapped, that’s all there is to it. Shame for Liverpool and others but, nobody saw this craziness coming! 

Stupid really that there is no disaster plan in place to account for this type of thing. 

A disaster plan really would be some kind of Esports football game, especially while everyone is told no contact,that is the only way I see football continuing on while ever people keep dieing.

Some are down for that but others against it and I can understand it both ways but if it can aid in the game continuing on, isn't it best for the fan, just needs proper planning.

Other than having players play in contamination suits, its irresponsible to have even players on a field, especially since they could end up taking Corona back home.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

There will be teams that go bust, for sure. Why would football be different from other areas of life and economy?

There’s a chance for teams, higher up the leagues, to come up with some inventive ways to engage with fans and still make some money, as I’d imagine their main revenue streams are through sales of merchandise (I assume they are still open for business in that sense). 

What clubs could be doing is asking their players, who are still being paid wages, to perhaps have fan engagement sessions online that we can pay to be a part off and perhaps pay a small fee to enter, a bit of a Q&A session. Or come up with some other inventive ways to generate revenue... certainly things clubs can be doing to generate income. That’s what other business are having to do during these times - need to adapt! 

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

A disaster plan really would be some kind of Esports football game, especially while everyone is told no contact,that is the only way I see football continuing on while ever people keep dieing.

Are you actually serious? 😂 😂 😂 😂 

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

I agree with that sentiment. The trouble is they will likely be no football played before January 2021 if BCD matches wasn't a serious option on the table so 20-21 would be virtually written off as a season aswell as this one.

Just something we're going to have to get used to I'm afraid even if it's far from ideal.

In the news they are talking about the worry for a second wave of infection 

I think football runs the same risk , risk it now to play games and one infection one outbreak one seriously ill footballer and they will closed down for a long time 

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

In the news they are talking about the worry for a second wave of infection 

I think football runs the same risk , risk it now to play games and one infection one outbreak one seriously ill footballer and they will closed down for a long time 

It will happen in the winter most likely.

That's why I've always been agains nulling this season. You cancel now, start in August or September (still behind closed doors) and you'd likely have to stop in November-January as another lockdown could easily be implemented then given it will be flu season anyway and there likely won't be a vaccine.

So 20-21 will likely not be finished on time if xmas schedule is wiped out. Would mean FA cup would probably be cancelled. Two seasons disrupted/voided when at least now you've got six weeks of games pending that could be sloted in when hopefully numbers get under control in perhaps two months. Then finish it, have a short break and have proper discussions on how to proceed with 20-21.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I agree with that sentiment. The trouble is they will likely be no football played before January 2021 if BCD matches wasn't a serious option on the table so 20-21 would be virtually written off as a season aswell as this one.

Just something we're going to have to get used to I'm afraid even if it's far from ideal.

Even January is very optimistic for football with crowds. Its going to have to be BCD for football to survive. It would be obscene as well if we were to see big money transfers this summer. It would make football look so bad. Football will start again BCD but when I don't know. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Even January is very optimistic for football with crowds. Its going to have to be BCD for football to survive. It would be obscene as well if we were to see big money transfers this summer. It would make football look so bad. Football will start again BCD but when I don't know. 

It’ll all be ‘undisclosed fee’ reported to get around that.

Just now, PaulC said:

Lack of transparency will make them look worse. 

Won’t stop them doing it.  Clubs are still a business and will be doing transfers when they can but they’ll do it with the least bad press they can get.

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

There’s a chance for teams, higher up the leagues, to come up with some inventive ways to engage with fans and still make some money, as I’d imagine their main revenue streams are through sales of merchandise (I assume they are still open for business in that sense). 

What clubs could be doing is asking their players, who are still being paid wages, to perhaps have fan engagement sessions online that we can pay to be a part off and perhaps pay a small fee to enter, a bit of a Q&A session. Or come up with some other inventive ways to generate revenue... certainly things clubs can be doing to generate income. That’s what other business are having to do during these times - need to adapt! 

No football for two seasons will kill many teams off.

Just now, nick76 said:

Won’t stop them doing it.  Clubs are still a business and will be doing transfers when they can but they’ll do it with the least bad press they can get.

Wont stop the press either 

Just now, PaulC said:

Wont stop the press either 

I agree and in a twisted way fans will get excited for new signings.  

Imagine if we don’t get relegated and then Villa buy....let’s say Benrahma and the press speculate 15m-20m.  I’m assuming (given previous desire for him) that Villa fans will be delighted.  They won’t be disgusted or angry we have brought him will they.  Same across the premier league.....

Just now, nick76 said:

I agree and in a twisted way fans will get excited for new signings.  

Imagine if we don’t get relegated and then Villa buy....let’s say Benrahma and the press speculate 15m-20m.  I’m assuming (given previous desire for him) that Villa fans will be delighted.  They won’t be disgusted or angry we have brought him will they.  Same across the premier league.....

Not so sure about that. There will be many fans who will be disgusted by it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not so sure about that. There will be many fans who will be disgusted by it

Disgusted maybe, but not they’d do anything about it and will offset about getting a player and the majority won’t even connect the two subconsciously.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Only right thing to do is to finish the season. Regardless how long it takes.

Right thing to do and only fair thing to do for all parties but is never ever going to happen for sooooo many reasons, so the powers up top need to decide what’s next.