Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

No, a conservative estimate is a working approved vaccine by September this year. Oxford University hope to have 1m by then and have started manufacturing them NOW to hit that figure gambling that they have got it right and the human tests they are already undertaking work out. 

Late 2021 is a pessimistic estimate. 

Hopefully it will be ready in September, no guarentees. Mass roll out will take a few more months though.

I think the short term hope is an existing drug or treatment at least helps more people to succesfull recover, that would put more minds at ease to resume normal tasks if treatment was around. They're trialling plenty atm, wasn't there some good reports on the ebola drug in small groups so will have to see if that is effective when scaled up.

That's really the only potential game changer in the next six months unless big % of population have already had covid which seems unlikely.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Its not last season though , we need a solution, whats your suggestion on sorting the mess out thats fair ? 

This👇

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's dead easy. No promotion, no one has earned it. No relegation, no one has failed yet.

Or if you want to be nice, promote top two teams and have 22 team league next season.

• Like 1

22 two team premier league would mean less money for everyone, more games, and more teams relegated next season, so not sure if many teams will for vote for that. Also the championship won't want to lose two of their better and more marketable sides without them being replaced. Then there's the matter of it  not really being fair to promote Albion and Leeds when either could have both easily have dropped out of the top two if the season had have carried on as normal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

22 two team premier league would mean less money for everyone, more games, and more teams relegated next season, so not sure if many teams will for vote for that. Also the championship won't want to lose two of their better and more marketable sides without them being replaced. Then there's the matter of it  not really being fair to promote Albion and Leeds when either could have both easily have dropped out of the top two if the season had have carried on as normal.

Yeah I suppose you are right.  Thought it might mean that sky could generate more revenues from more games next season and thus clubs won’t have to pay back part of this season....a sort of trade off.  

As for relegation, it’s almost the same that if you are 17th or above you are safe....slim justification but I’m trying 😉

Re EFL losing two good teams....don’t know, it’s a good point,...don’t know the perfect solution.

i guess we are back to no promotion, no relegation.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

That 3rd place in any of the options shouldn't be promoted.....they havent completed the season and then havent won the playoffs.  That's so far from finished it's silly to promote them in any of the reasonable options available.  Yet in the option you propose (and I'm not intending to have a go at you) that in one or two games they can get a PL space. 

Every team from 3rd to lets say 11th (3 points from playoff place) have the right to claim they should have the same right as Fulham because of the playoff system and the odds of promotion.  It would be different if 3rd place was automatic promotion but it's not.

To prove my point we were 8th last season after 37 games and we were promoted via the playoffs.

villa championship.JPG

You might as well say aame on 1st and 2nd then on that basis then mate

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You might as well say aame on 1st and 2nd then on that basis then mate

I agree, same for relegation places as I said before.  Sidcow said it perfect, no promotion as they haven’t earned it and no relegation as they haven’t failed yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I suppose you are right.  Thought it might mean that sky could generate more revenues from more games next season and thus clubs won’t have to pay back part of this season....a sort of trade off.  

As for relegation, it’s almost the same that if you are 17th or above you are safe....slim justification but I’m trying 😉

Re EFL losing two good teams....don’t know, it’s a good point,...don’t know the perfect solution.

i guess we are back to no promotion, no relegation.

Giving sky cash back is one of the major issues , so even sharing it between 2 other teams is better than losing it all and the 2 extra games would help with revenue 

EFL losing teams does it really effect them , they already have TV deals etc in place 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's dead easy. No promotion, no one has earned it. No relegation, no one has failed yet.

I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about this.  It's disappointing for sure but it's not unfair because no one's fate is yet cast in stone. 

The only unfair thing would be to promote or relegate a team which has not yet earned that outcome.  

I agree, this is how it should be, and this is what the Dutch have done. Everything, everything, else is wrong. No-one has won anything, and no-one has been relegated yet. The only choices are to play the whole season or void it. And if you play all remaining games the circumstances will be very abnormal. The last nine games will be different from the first 29. It's not a full season, it's two different seasons knitted together loosely.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I agree, this is how it should be, and this is what the Dutch have done. Everything, everything, else is wrong. No-one has won anything, and no-one has been relegated yet. The only choices are to play the whole season or void it. And if you play all remaining games the circumstances will be very abnormal. The last nine games will be different from the first 29. It's not a full season, it's two different seasons knitted together loosely.

Thats the say i look at it. But i think the most unfair idea is the one i suggested a few pages if they dont or can't do any if the options i suggested.

I like the idea of potentially promoting two and then relegating four following year

Edited by Demitri_C

12 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Top marks from them club, think we have good people running the place on and off the pitch. In fairness we always seem to have an eye on the outside picture even with Lerner and Acorns. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about this.  It's disappointing for sure but it's not unfair because no one's fate is yet cast in stone. 

The only unfair thing would be to promote or relegate a team which has not yet earned that outcome.  

Perfectly put, the only option for me bar one other;

And that's that the season concludes when it is safe to do so (late this year / early next (?) and the 2020/2021 season gets scrapped (which will obviously bring other issues with contracts / financial issues etc).

Depending on when football can re-start being the deciding factor for me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If nobody gets relegated this season, surely there would be some excess funds available from the PL as they would not be paying parachute payments to anyone?

Exactly. Give two of those to Leeds and wba as compensation and spread the third between the four in the play offs. I think if the premier league did this then wba and Leeds don’t rely have a case in court

7th and beyond for me don’t really have a case for anything n my view. 

I'm certainly in the camp that says it must be one rule for all. Just cannot fathom how any team can be awarded anything whether that's promotion or relegation, without having mathematically earnt it. This doesn't rule out games behind closed doors (if possible) - but it's either finished or its voided - surely no single person or even voting block of clubs can invent any brand new off the cuff way of resolving the league. 

• Like 1

Why do Leeds and WBA deserve compensation? They havent won promotion or guaranteed play off place.

Any good lawyer good show the amount of times Leeds and Bielsa have thrown away such positions in the past

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why do Leeds and WBA deserve compensation? They havent won promotion or guaranteed play off place.

Any good lawyer good show the amount of times Leeds and Bielsa have thrown away such positions in the past

Maybe the parachute payments can be split somehow to all clubs in the three leagues in the EFL so we don’t lose some clubs who are going under due to Pandemic

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe the parachute payments can be split somehow to all clubs in the three leagues in the EFL so we don’t lose some clubs who are going under due to Pandemic

I really hope they do something like this because a whole lot of clubs in the lower leagues are going to go bust.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tinker said:

This is the way to go, Sheffield Utd should play us at Villa Park behind closed doors. 

How would that be fair? You're basically eliminating the biggest advantage of playing at home. 

You must be an idiot to accept such a suggestion, no offence intended. 

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Absolutely and I think that's what our club statement was kind of aimed at. 

My worry is that we might have made this statement because background talks might be going on about keeping that money within the PL to offset the loss of TV revenue from a cancelled season. 

How much does the 3 years of parachute payments for 3 clubs come to? I bet it's a hell of a figure.