Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

59 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think we need to consider “precedent”. If a number of leagues throughout Europe do similar, then we could well be in trouble. The bottom line is that if there was a Premier League vote on this type of finish then you could probably bet your house on 17 clubs being in favour! The big difference between the Premier League & SPL is that only 2 clubs have played a game less in the SPL, Rangers & St Johnstone, and neither of those 2 clubs can really gain anything with a 3pt win with the game in hand. Villa, on the other hand, could win their game in hand and jump to 15th in the table and thus avoid relegation. 

I just think that using points per game is a sure-fire way to ensure that legal proceedings are opened by every club that is relegated. The points per game are based on a different set of teams played against by each team in the league. It's inherently an unfair way to decide a league system. The payoff that would need to be awarded to any relegated team above and beyond the parachute payments would be ridiculous. Even in Scotland there must be teams with easier run ins on paper than others which would immediately dispute any finishing position based on points per game.

In reality I think there needs to be one of two options. Either write the season off completely or find a way to finish the season at whatever time that happens to be.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Based on points per game would we though, we've been awful this season and we are where we are for a reason!

Sooner this season ends the better as far as I'm concerned.

But if we won our game in hand we’d be 16th on an average a point a game thus 38 points for full season, which generally just survives relegation, which is what most of us were expecting/targeting for the season.  

Not sure your expectation on more than that.  The worst teams in the league generally play bad or look bad, and yes we are awful but we knew it was going to be a tough season.

The argument is whether we could win that game in hand and if the season is voided and we are relegated then it’s a legal point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But if we won our game in hand we’d be 16th on an average a point a game thus 38 points for full season, which generally just survives relegation, which is what most of us were expecting/targeting for the season.  

Isn't that game in hand against Sheff Utd?

I think they will bully us

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Based on the previous game me too, was embarrassing how much more they wanted it

Us vs them in a one off game though... We stay up vs they get CL (even though they won't) 

I'm hoping if that's behind closed doors villa say **** off, as I've said before as much as I like them I think there is potential on the horizon for our owners to bang the big club drum that we keep claiming we are, if we meekly accept a scenario that does us no favours then I'll be disappointed 

If the PL suggest us vs Sheffield behind closed doors decides the season I hope purslow is like bean driving through LA

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Doesnt make any difference, if the season was voided it would be hard legally to judge that game as a win for Sheff Utd. 

It maybe the greatest thing for us as while the season allows for the cream to reach the top and the rubbish to sink to the bottom, in a one off game anybody can win a game in the PL and there are many examples to prove this, which would form the basis of any legal argument.  Yes in the likely hood that the game was played (how the teams played before the lock down) that Sheff Utd would win, it is still unknown and not guaranteed, hence the PL couldnt make that determination without a valid and strong legal challenge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Based on the previous game me too, was embarrassing how much more they wanted it

Us vs them in a one off game though... We stay up vs they get CL (even though they won't) 

I'm hoping if that's behind closed doors villa say **** off, as I've said before as much as I like them I think there is potential on the horizon for our owners to bang the big club drum that we keep claiming we are, if we meekly accept a scenario that does us no favours then I'll be disappointed 

If the PL suggest us vs Sheffield behind closed doors decides the season I hope purslow is like bean driving through LA

I'm not even sure that would suffice and then the legal arguments would be that even though the games played are level, the fairness of who has played who and home advantage (which we would be disadvantaged on) of games played this season have to be considered.  Something like we have 6 home games remaining and 4 away games

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm not even sure that would suffice and then the legal arguments would be that even though the games played are level, the fairness of who has played who and home advantage (which we would be disadvantaged on) of games played this season have to be considered.  Something like we have 6 home games remaining and 4 away games

Completely agree, us being 2 points off West ham with West ham still to play means our lawyers should be able to argue the relevance of us playing Sheffield United 

We can lose the next 9 games, win the 10th and stay up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Completely agree, us being 2 points off West ham with West ham still to play means our lawyers should be able to argue the relevance of us playing Sheffield United 

We can lose the next 9 games, win the 10th and stay up

without doubt the biggest advantages for us legally is that spare game and also the fact that we still have to play West Ham, one of our main relegation rivals.  I am very biased I admit as I want Villa to stay up so voiding the season given how we were playing just before the lockdown is the best case scenario for Villa.  Worst case is us being relegated based on a points per game and the season ended but I really cant see how they would consider doing that as it would be a legal nightmare for them as Bournemouth and even Norwich would have a case (obviously Norwich less so but mathematically they can still avoid relegation).  Then the championship teams from 3rd to 6th legally not getting a fair shake if the top two get promoted and one other.  Just gets too complex.....just dont know how they are going to finish this because past June 30th this becomes too much of a legal nightmare.....if it isnt before then beforehand anyway.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 16:35, jim said:

If we were 4 points off the top or a CL place, I would bet my left nut 90%+ on here would be totally against voiding the season and continuing when it is safe to do so. Which is what I believe will happen anyway. 

What's the reaction on the Wolves forums out of interest? Imagine starting the season in july in various football outposts and comfortably getting through to knock outs and seeing it all go to waste (think CL and Europa will eventually be scrapped for this season as seems far too complicated with the travel). They were also getting a nice run going in the league.

Of course not playing football for next two-three months is right but I agree it would hurt more if we having an exceptional season.

BTW surprised EFL are still commited to finishing the season in its present form. A play off final at Wembley BCD is just wrong so think they should just change it and promote top 3 this season.

Playing games behind closed doors like this might suit us , IMO Team's with nothing to play for are not going to play the full strength team or come back with any motivation ...the games being played is purely not down to £££ 

Already been talk of teams not being punished for playing youths /weakened teams , no VAR , Extra Subs ...its going to be a mess .Liverpool are prime example 2 games left to win league they win league you think they are going to be competitive at all for rest of season playing with no fans ? 

Shoooorely the 2 metre distance rule will have to be officially lifted before any game can happen behind closed doors or not? Can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else. I think they're all just waiting until it's impossible to complete the season before next season starts, before they void it. 

We will have to see what happens in Italy, Germany and Spain. because we are a few weeks behind them. 

Premier League clubs are getting advanced payments in expectation the season will end so unless it does they have to pay it back 

EFL saying they can complete the season in 56 days. They're also saying no training until at least the 16th May - so if we allow them at least a week of training before the first game, they'd be looking at being finished in mid July at the very earliest.

Possible, but it'd have a big effect on the 2020-21 season.

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Playing games behind closed doors like this might suit us , IMO Team's with nothing to play for are not going to play the full strength team or come back with any motivation ...the games being played is purely not down to £££ 

Already been talk of teams not being punished for playing youths /weakened teams , no VAR , Extra Subs ...its going to be a mess .Liverpool are prime example 2 games left to win league they win league you think they are going to be competitive at all for rest of season playing with no fans ? 

Half of our remaining games are likely to be against clubs who might be on the beach (Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle, Palace & Everton) and with us potentially playing 6 games in an empty Villa Park, I think we will be disadvantaged. 😕

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Shoooorely the 2 metre distance rule will have to be officially lifted before any game can happen behind closed doors or not? Can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else. I think they're all just waiting until it's impossible to complete the season before next season starts, before they void it. 

If they play games before social distancing is over, does that mean the players will have to blow kisses to each other has been as they cannot touch each other? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

If they play games before social distancing is over, does that mean the players will have to blow kisses to each other has been as they cannot touch each other? 

Perhaps it would be a bit like touch rugby, with sans touching...😉