Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

China state they have zero new cases - and if that stays the same over 2 weeks then they re-open. It's been about three months to this point from when it started. IF Europe (and it'll have to be Europe not just UK as we're so connected) were to have the same success, then it's June at the very very earliest. With advances in treatments and tests to show who's immune - I'm pretty sure we'll all be starting up again in September, schools, pubs, football etc in some shape or form. 

That would be great but I dont think it will happen. I think thats a big jump in assumption. China are way ahead of us in this process and have had a 3 month lockdown enforced by the military and police in a heavy handed manner that will unlikely happen here unless things got very bad indeed. I really dont think people grasp just how big an issue this Coronavirus is, its going to be a catastrophic event and will effect the economy and life as we know it like a world war, this is gong to take years to recover from even if we get everything right. 

• Like 2

Today will be an interesting day with regards the FA & Clubs thought process. Clearly the bottom teams will be determined to push for a voiding, the middling teams won't have much of an agenda and the current top 5 look like they would repeat their top 5 status next season. I think Wolves may feel aggrieved, but Spurs and Arsenal might actually favour the season being scrubbed. With £1.9m per table finish placing and £79m guaranteed (assume pro rata) every one is a winner if they void the season if no one goes down and Liverpool are crowned 'Champions', the only argument may be about the games in hand and the potential of the £1.9m that may effect, but I hardly see Villa arguing too hard if there is no threat of relegation.

The reality is that if they cant finish the 9 outstanding games (10 for us and three others), including accommodating the domestic and European fixtures by the end of June it cannot progress without having big repercussions due to players contracts, transfer window and preparing for next season. The question is what is reasonable?: two games a week which equals 5-6 weeks - likely more with Cups and the European competition, and Man CIty and Chelsea wont give that up easily, but that would mean it has to restart in May, and teams must be fit and ready. Its touch and go I think, and they need to satisfy Sky that their product isnt being compromised too.

Edited by thunderball

I'm surprised people are even thinking that football will resume before the end of June. 

The senior medical experts and chief scientists are saying the peak wont be until June if we get things right.  China had a complete lockdown that is never going to happen in this country because people's sense of liberty, which is great 99% of the time but not in a Pandemic situation. 

Even in my situation, my brother will be working from home from next week with his two kids but his wife will continue at the children day care centre who have extended their hours to look after the school children who now don't have school from tomorrow.  So the situation the government is trying to avoid is moving from the school to child day care centres.  Yes, far more kids are home but there are a signficant amount of kids at day cares defeating the solution of closing schools partially. 

Then you have NHS staff that are being exposed to the virus and then having to deal with other patients because shortage of medical people.  These medical staff are not only testing potential virus people but their normal patients. 

You can also see the big shops still full of people.

We are already on the 19th March and this is only just beginning.  Reading social media from Facebook to niche websites, people arent understanding or taking in the severity of this, which is a problem.  The media will always over hype things but if you listen to the medical or scientific experts they are telling us this is not being over hyped, in some cases it's being under hyped.

This is going to go on for months and football is not going to be back on the agenda any time soon and 30th of June seems just bizarre optimism to complete the rest of the season

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is going to go on for months and football is not going to be back on the agenda any time soon and 30th of June seems just bizarre optimism to complete the rest of the season

the season will be completed...it's their priority. it will be over summer or something. they can decide on next season at a later date...draw out of a hat who plays who at home/away so only play each side once perhaps so that it's all done before euros

The PL bosses are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Common sense tells them that there is no way they can finish this season, while legal financial contracts with Sky and BT make it far too costly to announce immediately that they are voiding this season. Their only way forward is to keep stalling and putting out a mythic resumption date which they can keep moving back, while hoping that the government will put "lock down legislation" in place which will reduce or nullify the PL's legal liability. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

No chance this season will finish

I think it will be played whenever it can. Even if it’s 2 games per week for 5 weeks in July or August followed by a very short break and preseason before starting a new season in the autumn.

it's 100x easier to cancel competitions for the 2020/2021 season than it is to void this season. the first that will go is carabao cup, then FA cup, then reduced games in the prem, followed by potential full prem cancellation. we're not saved...we're going to have to complete the season and probably be relegated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

the season will be completed...it's their priority. it will be over summer or something. they can decide on next season at a later date...draw out of a hat who plays who at home/away so only play each side once perhaps so that it's all done before euros

Why do you think it's their priority? I think what you're hearing now is a mix of people talking about things they know very little about (football pundits) and people saying what they have to say (Premier League officials).

The problem Premier League is facing now is their sponsorship income and TV income. They can potentially be sued by Sky and a lot of others for voiding the season, which means a lot to them to avoid for obvious reasons.

The problem they will face in the future is to be sued by clubs like ourselves if they decide to relegate with 10 games left or played under unfair circumstances.

The easy way to avoid all of this is to wait for a while and claim force majeure when the time comes. And that is probably what will happen.

And to be honest, I think they are much more concerned about the top end of the table than about the bottom end. 

Edited by Silent_Bob

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Peak at best in June....that's not the end....the peak has a downward curve and thus for months afterwards so July and August are out of the question.  If they are serious about completing this season it may get to the point that they have to scrap next season and this season is played over two years ending rather than one i.e. finishing in June 2021.  This means all cup and european competitions complete as well.  

As somebody has mentioned on the downward curve, let's say a Villa player gets the virus in July then the squad quarantines again for 14 days at least, what happens to our games if it has restarted.  Just so messy and that's only if games are played behind closed doors....if you have fans coming to games you may have a second peak in the virus because people have come together to early again.  They cant afford that to happen.

Additionally players are going to need a min-preseason after not playing for four or five months so resuming the season in January 2021 with preseason in December for Xmas games/TV consumption and maybe a transfer window may make some sense.

Obviously the biggest argument against a two year one season argument is money, which in a time like this shouldnt be a priority but in the greed culture that we have today will probably be the main priority for people at the top of the chain and thus we are going to have some kind of messy solution.

Edited by nick76

Prem apparently pleading with clubs to finish the season including Villa, (well that's according to the BM at any rate) ... Hows about this as a response..."If you give us the points back that VAR has robbed from us and another 6 points as compensation for the loss of confidence which would have no doubt affected team confidence & therefore impacted further on results and we'll think about it" Otherwise one squad member every 2 weeks goes down with virus until further notice.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Why do you think it's their priority? I think what you're hearing now is a mix of people talking about things they know very little about (football pundits) and people saying what they have to say (Premier League officials).

The problem Premier League is facing now is their sponsorship income and TV income. They can potentially be sued by Sky and a lot of others for voiding the season, which means a lot to them to avoid for obvious reasons.

The problem they will face in the future is to be sued by clubs like ourselves if they decide to relegate with 10 games left or played under unfair circumstances.

The easy way to avoid all of this is to wait for a while and claim force majeure when the time comes. And that is probably what will happen.

And to be honest, I doubt they are much more concerned about the top end of the table than about the bottom end. 

I agree with this.  Greed will likely force the wrong decision unfortunately.  I know voiding the season is not ideal and maybe my glasses are slightly biased but I've tried to view this without this bias and either they void this season or they have a two year one season solution.  Jamming games in somehow in a timeframe we dont know and keeps getting worse is greed talking.  

• Like 1

Listened to Glenn Johnson on Talkshite earlier and his opinion was that the least worst solution was to null and void this season rather than screw up next season by trying to complete this one.

For all the soundbites about finishing this season no matter how long it takes what about the disruption to next season especially with the Euros due to take place?

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree with this.  Greed will likely force the wrong decision unfortunately.  I know voiding the season is not ideal and maybe my glasses are slightly biased but I've tried to view this without this bias and either they void this season or they have a two year one season solution.  Jamming games in somehow in a timeframe we dont know and keeps getting worse is greed talking.  

I’m with you on this. And I strongly disagree with the idea being touted that we throw out the FA & League Cups for the “2020/21” season so as to be able to cram in “next” season when this season is finalised. How about the “big” clubs go without European football for a season, instead? Or is that too much money to be lost for the big boys?! The feeling is more than creeping up that domestic football can go f**k itself whilst the elite keep strolling on. If that scenario happens, then every football league club, bar the top 4 in the Premier League, may as well resign and tell those clubs to go play in a European super league. I definitely see this crisis being used as leverage to drop some domestic games to support the elite European teams. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, brommy said:

I think it will be played whenever it can. Even if it’s 2 games per week for 5 weeks in July or August followed by a very short break and preseason before starting a new season in the autumn.

That means English teams are excluded from Europe. A 38 game season starting in autumn will need to be finished by May for euros 

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m with you on this. And I strongly disagree with the idea being touted that we throw out the FA & League Cups for the “2020/21” season so as to be able to cram in “next” season when this season is finalised. How about the “big” clubs go without European football for a season, instead? Or is that too much money to be lost for the big boys?! The feeling is more than creeping up that domestic football can go f**k itself whilst the elite keep strolling on. If that scenario happens, then every football league club, bar the top 4 in the Premier League, may as well resign and tell those clubs to go play in a European super league. I definitely see this crisis being used as leverage to drop some domestic games to support the elite European teams. 

Yep especially as the domestic cups are the only competitions teams below the top 5 or 6 can realistically go for.