Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

No more capitulations away from home. Play every game like it's a home game and/or we're at Wembley. Draw a line after the Southampton game. We have Leicester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton and West Ham as our last away games. No more Saints/Bournemouth/Sheffield United/Wolves/Palace performances.

• Like 1

37 points may be enough if we don't get beaten heavily at Liverpool so three wins and three draws could just about do it.

Newcastle GD is one better than ours so not sure they can draw their way to safety. Winning there would be huge. We are well overdue a win at St James.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll beat Chelsea. Great time of the season to play them although wish they'd only lost 1-0 to Bayern Munich as that second leg is in the midweek after our game.

Historically Chelsea is the big team at VP we've had most success against in last 20 years. I think they've won twice in that time at VP by more than a one goal margin.

Recent away games are 1-0 defeat at Newcastle and 2-2 with Bournemouth so not really winning many games at all and have loads of injuries upfront. Tammy, Hudson Odoi and Pulisic all out currently so they don't have that much pace in final third compared to Spurs.

If we don't it will likely be yet another game where points will slip through our grasp.

I hope you’re right, but I seriously wonder if looking back twenty years is a reliable guide to what will happen this season. 😉

Blimey, that almost takes us back to John Gregory, doesn’t it?

More recently (say, past ten years) our home form to Chelsea has been a bit more woeful.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

Look at the our wins this year, the coincidence I notice is that Hourihane seems to be in the squad when we've picked up those wins. Is it his set pieces? eye for a forward pass? Greater goal threat? I've no idea but we seem to get results with him playing. Food for thought.

Crap Norwich away and  crap Newcastle at home and we got lucky Norwich at home. Flat track bully that goes missing against decent teams 

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Need to beat Sheffield Utd and Palace at home and get a couple of draws. Then need to win at Newcastle and find another win from somewhere. 

I very much doubt we have four wins in us, just can't see it! Two tops.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What is our game in hand? We don't seem to have any midweek games for the rest of the season. 

Sheffield United, not been scheduled yet 

• Thanks 1

If we can somehow keep everyone fit from now until the end of the season and play the below team (once Mcginns back) every game. We have a chance. 

Reina

Guilbert   Engles  Mings   Target

Nakamba Luiz

Mcginn

El Ghazi   Samatta Grealish

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Need to beat Sheffield Utd and Palace at home and get a couple of draws. Then need to win at Newcastle and find another win from somewhere. 

I'm still holding out hope for a 5 match winning run.

Find a way to feed Jack and Samatta consistently and anything is possible.

I don't think we have even seen the best of Samatta yet.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm still holding out hope for a 5 match winning run.

Find a way to feed Jack and Samatta consistently and anything is possible.

I don't think we have even seen the best of Samatta yet.

I think he's an absolutely quality finisher. If we can find ways to provide chances for him, he will score. I really do think we are just waiting for some kind of spark that will see us turn things around. Absolutely no reason why we can't win 4 or 5 in a row.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

How far does europe do down in the league with the potential Man. City ban, 7th?

Top 3 still looks secure and I'd fancy Wolves, Man. United, Chelsea and Spurs all to finish above those two still although it's pretty tight so can't really see with 2-3 games either having that much of a shot through league.

Potentially 8th isn't it?

4 CL + 1 EL + 1 EL instead of League Cup winners + 1 (possibly) EL instead of FA Cup winners + 1 (possibly) instead of Man City

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Has Liverpool been "found out"?

If so, it would appear PL teams are 25 or so games too late!

The Athletico Madrid result seems to have made them mortal again.

Chelsea firmly in control here.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

On 28/02/2020 at 11:49, VillaChris said:

The problem there is Newcastle gets cancelled if they win at WBA in the cup.

Perhaps it will be played the midweek before the 21st but if it gets shifted to April we're potentially looking at:

Leicester

Chelsea

Wolves

Liverpool

Man. United

Ouch. I agree we need Newcastle fixture in there to break that run although reality is it's a must win whenever we play it.

Newcastle through in the cup. Oh dear. Hard to see any wins coming up.

• Like 1

As our away game at Newcastle is going to be moved, we are only going to be scheduled to play 2 league games in March..

Although, if Sheffield United lose tonight we can switch that to Saturday 21st instead, assuming Man U beat Derby tomorrow. If they draw tonight and need a replay it can’t be until 17/18 March, if we’re allowed to schedule at such short notice, otherwise it’s April. More time for McGinn to get fit I guess.

I don’t think Newcastle having to play more games is a bad thing though and they seem to be playing a strong side in the cups.

Edit: no more replays..

As Sheffield United won, my money is on Wednesday 18th March, which will give us 3 homes games in a row, which could be massive.

Edited by Elton

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Has Liverpool been "found out"?

If so, it would appear PL teams are 25 or so games too late!

The Athletico Madrid result seems to have made them mortal again.

Chelsea firmly in control here.

One thing in common for their close 3-2 Vs West Ham and their two losses is that Henderson has been missing.

Think he's due back in a couple of weeks

I hope they find a way to beat Atletico in the second leg, our game against them at Anfield is the weekend in-between their first and second leg of the Qtrs if they make it through, Which would be ideal. Even if Henderson is back

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elton said:

As our away game at Newcastle is going to be moved, we are only going to be scheduled to play 2 league games in March..

Although, if Sheffield United lose tonight we can switch that to Saturday 21st instead, assuming Man U beat Derby tomorrow. If they draw tonight and need a replay it can’t be until 17/18 March, if we’re allowed to schedule at such short notice, otherwise it’s April. More time for McGinn to get fit I guess.

I don’t think Newcastle having to play more games is a bad thing though and they seem to be playing a strong side in the cups.

Edit: no more replays..

As Sheffield United won, my money is on Wednesday 18th March, which will give us 3 homes games in a row, which could be massive.

Isn’t there a rule that they need to give 6 weeks notice for away fans about a rearranged game? (I could have made that up) *edit- this isn’t correct!*

I think the Sheff Utd game will be 22nd April. Newcastle game could be as late as 5th/6th May. I imagine rearranged games will be announced soon - maybe after the FA Cup QF draw.

Edited by chappy

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

One thing in common for their close 3-2 Vs West Ham and their two losses is that Henderson has been missing.

Think he's due back in a couple of weeks

Good point, it appears Henderson is one of those severely underrated water carriers which you only realise you miss when he is not there.

I hadn't taken him being out into consideration.

Bloody typical he will be back in time for us.

1 minute ago, chappy said:

Isn’t there a rule that they need to give 6 weeks notice for away fans about a rearranged game? (I could have made that up)

I think the Sheff Utd game will be 22nd April. Newcastle game could be as late as 5th/6th May. I imagine rearranged games will be announced soon - maybe after the FA Cup QF draw.

Not anymore. Man City/Arsenal has just been announced for next week.

• Thanks 1

I'm wondering how this coronavirus is going to affect things, if it's as bad as some are suggesting then we might end up with lots of players (from all clubs) missing games because of illness, that's if the gams go ahead.