Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

25 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I've been thinking the same thing myself. They looked very good against Leicester & were 100% deserving of their win. So much of winning is about confidence & Watford & Norwich have it in spades right now.

Norwich are playing without fear.

They know no one is giving them a chance. They've spent nothing, if they go down it will be as expected. Any result for them will be a bonus.

Us on the other hand spent 140 million in the summer. All eyes will be on us. We've got the bigger name and will be mocked if we get relegated.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Norwich got out of this. For the last six weeks they've looked better than the six sides above them.

For the previous 22 they didn't though. They are 4 points behind us and we have an 8 goal advantage over them, goal difference wise. They would probably need 5 more points from their remaining 10 games, than we get from our remaining 11, to finish above us. They would need some good run to do that and we would need a miserable end to the season as well. I can't really see both happening. They would also need to overtake another 2 clubs (3 if we finish above them), overtaking 2 is a tough enough task for us. I think their points/goals handicap, will make survival beyond them. I could be wrong though...😉

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich are playing without fear.

They know no one is giving them a chance. They've spent nothing, if they go down it will be as expected. Any result for them will be a bonus.

Us on the other hand spent 140 million in the summer. All eyes will be on us. We've got the bigger name and will be mocked if we get relegated.

Who cares about being mocked?  I couldnt care less about what other teams think of us, it's not about 'most liked' football team and to be fair I'd be happy if they didnt like us because it probably means we are doing something right.  All I care about is us, if we are doing things the right way and fighting with football on the pitch and hopefully surviving. 

If we do get relegated, we regroup and prepare for the battle in the championship to come back up.  It will be a terrible time in the summer, feeling relegated, losing some good players, being linked with championship replacements but come start of next season there will be fresh hope (as there is at the beginning of all seasons) of what we are going to do for the season.

If we survive we build on top of what we have, assess our weak points and try to improve so relegation battle is less likely next season.

Other peoples views i.e. fans and pundits, couldnt give a rats a$$ about.  Even if we became a big team again we would never get the respect of the London teams or the favourite teams up north so who cares.

To most of them I say "Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that...................."

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

If we go down being mocked will be the least of our worries, those with a mind a mind to mock us will find a reason to do so whether we're relegated or not. Also on Norwich I wouldn't  be getting carried away about them just because they beat Leicester, I think that was only second win in two or three months, they've actually been playing well in their games for most of the season that's not a recent development but ultimately they drop points because their attack isn't good enough to compensate for their weak defence, with goal difference they're affectively seven points off survival, would need an amazing run of form for them to survive now.

• Like 3

On 03/03/2020 at 23:43, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good point, it appears Henderson is one of those severely underrated water carriers which you only realise you miss when he is not there.

I hadn't taken him being out into consideration.

Bloody typical he will be back in time for us.

Henderson is quality. Not as dynamic as Gerrard was, different type of player but just as important to the team.

Just now, romavillan said:

Henderson is quality. Not as dynamic as Gerrard was, different type of player but just as important to the team.

Yeah a lot of my friends dismiss Henderson's quality but I really feel he is a lynch pin of Liverpool's team and very underrated.  Successful teams down the years have always had players that have been overlooked but essential to the team and I think Henderson is one of them for Liverpool in the current team and for how they play.  Whether that would translate to other teams or formation it may or may not but I think him missing, you can see that Liverpool miss something at the moment and I think that is a lot to do with Henderson being out. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It all adds up to the increased pressure to perform.

Just saying less is at stake if Norwich go down so it's easier for them to perform.

I'm not sure I agree, we were one of the favourites to down anyway despite our spend. 

Our name is big, our history is big but recently we have been a championship team for three seasons, came up from the championship far behind Norwich.  Our history might add pressure but impact to players in the heat of the moment is likely to be minimal.  You could argue that the players have an advantage that with the 12th man of a home crowd of over 40k every other game it's why so many big teams have better home results than away results, so we have that over Norwich.   That can go the other way if the crowd turns on the players but on the whole I firmly believe that the home crowd has been fantastic this season knowing we are in a relegation battle from day one.  Even at the end of the crushing defeat by Man City, the Villa fans were roaring and I sat in the Holte End proud of my fellow fans.  The game against Everton early in the season, I know, I know....but I really thought the crowd helped win the game. 

Players know they are playing for a bigger club, I get that so I understand your point around pressure to perform but I think there are other advantages to decrease pressure, just as there is other pressures that weigh players down.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Norwich still got a very tough away run, Sheffield United away and also have to go to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. City. People writing us off when we've got three of those at home.

To have a chance of staying up they'll need to win majority of their home games left. Beating West Ham and Brighton would help us.

Looking at Norwich's run in I really see very little chance of them surviving. They would really have to go on an amazing run to beat the drop. Their goal difference really hurts them as well.

Edited by gurru991

Be a great achievement to stay up , we are a big club and the pressure this brings is a factor. Its a good measure of a players character if they can deal with it. Think thats a factor in why so many of our x players go onto to play well for other club's ( it also destroys managers). 

Seeing our fans at Wembley last week ,compared to man city fans, was a stark reminder of how big Villa is as a club. We may go down but we will come back and thats a given.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tinker said:

we are a big club and the pressure this brings is a factor.

Yep. It's no joke.

Lambert got broken here. The pressure can wear you down.

As much as i don't rate Smith as a coach he does come across as a likable man. The day he leaves the Villa i he'll be ok mentally and have relative success elsewhere.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Oh, huddle! I thought he meant we were signing Tom Huddlestone.

That penguin has roughly the same body shape as Tom Huddlestone.

• Haha 2

We really need the results to go our way the next two weekends, as everyone will be two games ahead of us. 

We can get a better advantage if we’re on par with other teams coming the week we should’ve played Newcastle at. 

Ofcourse a win at Leicester would revive us and give us a good chance. 

Wolves could beat Brighton, Arsenal are in an ok form so hopefully they do West Ham. We need Southampton to be on their day and beat the barcodes. I hope Liverpool won’t Liverpool it again this week. Crystal Palace and Watford has 0-0 written all over it. Which won’t be the worst result. 

Tomorrow is a huge day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We really need the results to go our way the next two weekends, as everyone will be two games ahead of us. 

We can get a better advantage if we’re on par with other teams coming the week we should’ve played Newcastle at. 

Ofcourse a win at Leicester would revive us and give us a good chance. 

Wolves could beat Brighton, Arsenal are in an ok form so hopefully they do West Ham. We need Southampton to be on their day and beat the barcodes. I hope Liverpool won’t Liverpool it again this week. Crystal Palace and Watford has 0-0 written all over it. Which won’t be the worst result. 

Tomorrow is a huge day.

Oh wait, so the FA 1/4 Finals are the weekend we were due to play Newcastle? Just realised that. That may work in our favour it being moved to mid-week.

1 hour ago, Mr.Messy said:

I heard that all football matches could soon be played behind closed doors due to Corona Virus. I guess this would nullify the home advantage, I'm not sure if this would help or hinder AVFC?

I heard that on Radio WM's, football phone-in this evening as well.

They had been told by their sports editor, that there is a meeting on Monday at the Department for Culture Media & Sport, between sports broadcasters and governing bodies, to discuss staging events behind closed doors.

Playing in front of an empty Villa Park, would clearly be disadvantageous for us. Surely the only fair solution, is to declare this season null and void. We could hopefully then all start afresh next August.

It would perhaps be tough on the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and WBA, but in my opinion it would be unfair to decide relegation and promotion issues, on a part completed season, or on one that ends artificially with empty stadiums. 👍

Edited by John
  • Haha 2