Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good point, it appears Henderson is one of those severely underrated water carriers which you only realise you miss when he is not there.

I hadn't taken him being out into consideration.

Bloody typical he will be back in time for us.

Agreed, considering what they've done when missing Firmino, Mane and Salah at differing points throughout the season, I didn't really anticipate Henderson would be much bother.

I saw a tweet from (I think) Gary Linekar about it earlier and went and looked at their lineups last few games. He went off injured during the Atletico game (already 1-0 down and only 10 mins left) and has been missing since and their downturn has been pretty significant, perhaps he is as underated as Liverpool and Sunderland fans claim.

If he is then yeah, shame he'll be back. 

If they win their next 3 games (Bournemouth, Everton, Palace) they only need a draw Vs Man City to win the league the week before we play them. Then our game is sandwiched between two Qtr Final Legs with us a suddenly meaningless game, maybe they rest a couple. They have no unbeaten record to go after. Would do us wonders to beat the European and Premier League champions on their own turf for the run in. 

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm wondering how this coronavirus is going to affect things, if it's as bad as some are suggesting then we might end up with lots of players (from all clubs) missing games because of illness, that's if the gams go ahead.

I think it's being blown out of proportion tbh, but I read earlier the contingency is to play the games behind closed doors, no fans allowed in to stop the spread amongst large crowds. PL and FA been meeting about it.

But yeah hadn't really thought about the players getting ill. Real difficulty there will be the 14 day quarantine. Could end up with players not even ill games out in self-isolation / quarantine

Chelsea going to have quite a few missing v us.

Heard during the game Jorginho is out for two matches in prem with 10 yellows, Kovacic went off injured and Kante is touch and go so they certainly won't be full strength in central midfield. That said that young Scottish kid was excellent and Barkley scored a decent goal.

Lampard seen sense and put Kepa back in goal, miles better than Caballero even if he's had an indifferent season.

It's a massive game regardless.

Don't think we'll get anything at Leicester. The thought of going into April if none of the cancelled games are put in before that on just 25 points is unthinkable. We had that after Watford game in mid January ffs, only Villa.

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not scared of Leicester. We got a draw there already this season.

My thinking is we still required Nyland to have two brilliant games so will be another game of conceding 20 + shots and hoping we can block many of them. Nyland probably won't even be in goal of course.

I also assume Vardy and Ndidi will be fit to start. Leicester results drop off a cliff without Ndidi and Vardy could only play last half hour of the second leg.

We'll do well to draw there this time. Banking more on Chelsea at home for a shock win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

My thinking is we still required Nyland to have two brilliant games so will be another game of conceding 20 + shots and hoping we can block many of them. Nyland probably won't even be in goal of course.

I also assume Vardy and Ndidi will be fit to start. Leicester results drop off a cliff without Ndidi and Vardy could only play last half hour of the second leg.

We'll do well to draw there this time. Banking more on Chelsea at home for a shock win.

Actually if other results went as we went, a draw at Leicester would be fine. Grinding results is important. Sometimes even draws help you gets where you want. Even if you didn't catch the teams above you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea going to have quite a few missing v us.

Heard during the game Jorginho is out for two matches in prem with 10 yellows, Kovacic went off injured and Kante is touch and go so they certainly won't be full strength in central midfield. That said that young Scottish kid was excellent and Barkley scored a decent goal.

Lampard seen sense and put Kepa back in goal, miles better than Caballero even if he's had an indifferent season.

Willian too. Did his Achilles same as Kovacic last night. Apparently his isn't as serious as Kovacic's but still possible he could be out too.

Edit: Premier League app thinks:

Kante: Back just in time

Pulisic: Out

Jorginho: Out

Hudson-Odoi: Out

Kovacic: Probably back*

Willian: Probably back*

Christensen: Probably back

Abraham: Out

*Only injured last night so might change as updates come from the club. If it is both of their Achilles I'd be surprised if both made it back in 2 weeks

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Pretty much all of those played v Newcastle and they lost that somehow!

If we defend well e.g. not parking our defence on the halfway line like v Spurs then I'm confident we'll get at least a draw which will hopefully give us a boost for the make or break April period.

All those injuries will just make it all the more frustrating when we still manage to lose to them, lets face it in our heart of hearts we all know that we're going down, no matter how long and hard we look at the fixtures. Cheerio to the premier league. Or maybe not, need some good results.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

i think Davis coming back can have a big impact, especially if he starts with Samatta, not because of goals more he is one of few players who can hold the ball up and hopefully feed other players.

I've been dying to see Davis and Samatta start a game up front together ever since Davis came on against Bournemouth. Samatta is a quality finisher and makes great runs but it's blindingly obvious he gets too isolated and we can't expect him to do it on his own. If we drop the 5 at the back and got to a flat back 4 (fingers crossed) for the rest of the season this should allow us to play a more advanced centre mid or 2 up front. Both of these systems should see Samatta thrive. It NEEDS to be done. Smith, do you hear me?!?

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

i think Davis coming back can have a big impact, especially if he starts with Samatta, not because of goals more he is one of few players who can hold the ball up and hopefully feed other players.

Won't matter if we can't sort out the defense.